The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Fibroids anyone? I want to rip my uterus out!

I am in so much pain for the first couple days of my period I want to die, I bleed like a stuck pig, and it never really 100% ends... Doctor thinks she can feel at least one, pap is negative, and I am scheduled for an ultrasound next week.

Anyone deal with this? Any happy stories? It really is hell, my normal periods until recently were regular, a few days, and very light. Not anymore

*raises hands*
    Yup, fibroids here. Thankfully (I think) they only bug me during my cycle and that's about 5 days. But those five days are hell. Serious, eye popping cramping and bleeding. I take a LOT of ibuprofen during that week. If the periods start to get longer, I'll have to do something about them. I've already had a tubal, so if it gets that bad, I'm just going for taking the damn thing out. Granted it seems a bit dramatic, but it will save a ton on my advil bill.

So, no real advice other than 800mg of ibuprofen three times a day during your period and super strength tampax with a pad too. Your OB will likely have other ideas for you.

I had a fibroid embolism and am thrilled with the results! No more feeling like an extra in bad slasher flick. Periods are about the same length but flow is miniscule compared to before. And now I'm not anemic from the blood loss.

I'd already had a tubal and was offered a hysterectomy for the fibroids. But I didn't want open surgery and they were too big for me to have a vaginal hyst -- so I investigated and chose the embolism. Very glad I did.

Lorree
    Quote Originally Posted by King's Ransom
    "Now, did you really mean that I should half-pass to the right whilst turning on the haunches to the left? Or was that just you farting?"

I had a laproscopic myomectomy many (10+) years ago-- decided I absolutely had to do something after I gushed blood through white breeches and all over my saddle at a big dressage show. This surgery is much less invasive than a hysterectomy and requires much less recovery time, but is not recommended as often because it requires more skilled/highly trained surgeon. The book, No More Hysterectomies, helped me make my decision. I have been pleased with all aspects of this choice except for the horrible gas pain I experienced directly after the surgery. I found out much later from a nurse that that pain resulted from totally unnecessary, but not uncommon, negligence. Apparently, they use gas to stretch the skin and facilitate entry, and are supposed to release it after completion of the procedure. Apparently they sometimes "forget," with the results being like that I experienced.

Bottom line: ask lots of questions, learn everything you can before making your decision. This is a very common problem which has confronted ObGyns for a very long time. Some will have more ability to deal with it than others, and have better track records. Too bad it's not customary to request references from surgeons-- but I suppose on line reviews are a crude step in that direction.

P.S. This is the first time I've heard of a "fibroid embolism." It's a long time since I had my myomectomy, and it sound as though this procedure might well be a still less invasive and better solution.

Argh....if it were not for fibroids we would need 50% less OB/GYN's.

So my input as both a board certified OB/GYN and a woman with firbroids:

Fibroids are VERY common 1 in 10 woman will have fibroids, usually they are small and of no concern. If I see 25 woman WITH fibroids, probably only 1 of those woman will have any complaints. Fibroids generally first appear in the 20's and grow slowly until menopause.

The uterus is made of 3 basic layers the thin outside "serosa", the thick muscular middle "myometrium" (important for labor) and the inner "endometrium" which grows and sheds each month.

IF fiborids are serosal, they can be removed laparoscopically as fish described. However, the serosal fibroids rarely cause any problems and are often undetected. Fibroids that are located near or within the endometrium are the ones that are really problematic - sometimes these can be removed through a hysteroscope - same day surgery similar to a D&C.

2 members found this post helpful.