The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I'm going to the Clinique counter after work. I hate the dark spots and uneven oil distribution my skin now has.

Quote Originally Posted by horsefaerie View Post
    I use bare minerals. Not in its powder form but I mix some coconut oil in with it and apply with a sponge. Fairly light is a good concealer and then little bit of sun on cheekbones, forehead etc. Sunscreen, moisturizer and makeup. Easy on the eye and budget.
    What an interesting idea! What consistency? And where do you get the coconut oil?

I found a great deal on Hydroxatone Anti-Aging BB cream at Costco. Two tubes for ~$45. It has a 40 SPF, which besides moisturizing, is its best feature. The tinting coverage isn't great, but it's a good start under a foundation as a primer.

I also use Bare Minerals. I love, love most of their products. The foundation blends really well. I never have a line where it ends. It's just not quite enough coverage for my under-eye lines, though. Maybe doing the coconut oil mix would help with that.

My favorite eye shadow color from them is a deep coral called "The 70s." It seems to go with many skin tones. I do that on the lid. Then I do a pale cream on the brow. If I want to dress it up at night I add a mid-shade sparkley brown to the coral on the lid and blend. Then I add an eyeliner. I sort of tweak my make up after Adele's.

Quote Originally Posted by Skip's Rider View Post
    I use Cover Girl Simply Ageless foundation. It's easy to apply, and you can apply it as heavy or light as you wish. I've always very sensitive skin, and this product has been great. http://www.covergirl.com/simplyagelessfoundation
    I do too. I like it. Covers well, doesn't get cakey. I've used Bare Minerals, but the powder settles in fine lines and wrinkles, making me look more wrinkled.

Love Bare Minerals, but their mascara sucks. Just sayin'. I like almost everything. Just NOT the mascara.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Where humidity isn't just a word, it's a way of life.

I love Bare Minerals, too, but it seems lately that it "migrates" to the creases around my eyes, making those "crows feet" seem to stand out even more. This happens after a couple hours; leave the house looking great, and a few hours later take a look in the mirror and scare myself.

Is there something I can use under it (I've tried moisturizer, no go) to prevent this? Or is it just a matter of making sure to touch up every couple hours (yuk)?
    I tend to have combination/oily skin (still have #@$@ breakouts on occasion), is that what causes this problems?

I also second the BB creams on the market now, but would LOVE to be able to get back to Bare Minerals.

Have you tried using Bare Minerals prime time primer? I like it for the reasons you describe. Seems to prevent "migration" to the creases.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Default love Sephora!

So I have to 3rd or 4th Sephora. Even my husband (a very guys guy!) likes to go in there because they have good products and their staff is knowledgable. I love it because if you are not sure of a product they will send you home with a sample and you get to try it out. They have turned me on to Murad and my skin has never been softer.

I also have uneven skin tone due to previous sun damage so I slather on the SPF anytime I am awake and I wear a wide brim hat if I am going to be in the sun. You can tell I didn't take care of my skin when I was younger and rode 8 hrs a day, half way down my cheeks to my jaw line I have very visible skin damage!

As far as makeup I would see what Sephora recommends. I personally use MAC cosmetics (their mascara is one of the few that doesn't make my eyes itch) and love them. If you can go in during the week you can actually have one of their employees help you out with color and application.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" - Henry T. Merwin

"saddle up that Drama Llama and ride!" COTHism.....

I have sensitive skin and used Bare Minerals for years but wasn't happy with it. At the end of the day the color turned a bit orangy and it irritated my skin (it contains bismuth, which is a problem for a lot of people). Then I discovered Everyday Minerals http://www.everydayminerals.com/ and it's soooo much better than BM. It's so much smoother, they have a huge shade selection and they're really cheap! You can order sample sizes in different shades and coverages (sheer to matte to concealing) and find your perfect shade. Even if you got it wrong, it's very forgiving. You also get freebies with some orders.

They have green and yellow tinted concealing powder that's really good. And their eyeshadows last all day, even on me (I do use Urban Decay Primer Potion).

BM does make a great primer, Prime Time. Makes your skin smooth so the makeup just glides on. You can find that in Sephora.

Everyday Minerals is voted one of the best for a reason; they're just not advertised or widely popular...yet.

CVPeg is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

Well, thanks to all -
    Headed up to "the big city" and will be taking your suggestions with me!
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Where humidity isn't just a word, it's a way of life.

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    Have you tried using Bare Minerals prime time primer? I like it for the reasons you describe. Seems to prevent "migration" to the creases.
    Thank you!!!!! *off to order the primer and give it a try*

Did you find something that worked, CVPeg? I haven't contributed to this thread because I don't know anything about makeup, but, I have wanted to get back to a simple makeup look myself, and have been following along avidly.

Today, I gathered all of my courage and headed off to the Ulta store in my town. I got a very sympathetic consultant who helped me a lot. Surprisingly, for me, she said that mineral makeup was all wrong. She also didn't think I needed a foundation, probably because I told her that I was "outdoorsy" and uncomfortable about wearing a lot of makeup, plus being retired and so not needing to look "job ready." I ended up with a tinted moisturizer, an undereye concealer and a creme blush. I almost choked when I paid the bill but, hopefully, now that I know what to get I can find places where I can get it for less.

I had fun and learned a little, so I'm really happy about how everything turned out.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

2 members found this post helpful.

You guys inspired me to go to the Bare Minerals store in the mall near me. I've been needing some "professional" help for a while as I am tired of people telling me I look tired all the time. I told the girl what I did for a living (barn manager) and that I don't like the feel of a lot of stuff on my face. She was completely understanding and offered me a very minimal look that is easy to do and didn't cost the world. The most surprising thing? She said that I didn't need under eye concealer for dark circles because that skin is actually lighter than the rest of my face. Who knew? I've been slapping a lighter shade of under eye stuff on for years now in an effort to look more awake. She just blended some of the regular foundation powder under my eyes and in the corners and I looked completely different (in a good way) She was very nice and not pushy at all.