The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ouchy eyeball - what gives? CoTH docs -

For about 5 days my left eyeball has been tender to pressure and kind of ouchy when I shift my gaze sharply or go suddenly from dim to bright light. Vision is fine, and Aleve seems to work fine. It's at its worst right when I wake up. Not agonizing, but this morning I almost couldn't stand to use my eyeliner pencil on my upper lid as the pressure was very uncomfortable. Took the Aleve and all was well a couple of hours later.

The eye is also slightly bloodshot when compared to the other one. Pupil etc. looks normal.

Have Googled it, and the best I can come up with is possibly a mild case of episcleritis, which usually resolves itself. Glaucoma apparently doesn't hurt unless you have a sudden severe increase in ocular pressure. I haven't had any blows to the head or anything that would make my eye hurt.

I have a physical scheduled in a week and was hoping to wait until then.

Yes, I WILL go sooner if it persists or suddenly gets worse. I am not relying on the net.

1 members found this post helpful.

A doctor who does a physical--a GP or family doc--is not going to be able to really identify the source of eyeball pain. Get thee to an opthamologist NOW. If this has been going on for five days already and has not resolved, then it needs attention. You do not screw around with your eyeballs.

Where the prairie ends and the mountains begin

Do you wear contacts? If so, do not put them back in your eyes until you go see a opthamologist.

Anytime you have an eye issue go see the doc. Better to be safe than sorry. I have had corneal ulcers twice. Eye issues can be very serious.
    Dreaming in Color

This is not something to fool around with. Go to an optometrist right away at the very least. Preferrably an ophthalmologist.
    https://www.facebook.com/MariposaSportHorses

Practice! Patience! Persistence!

And no eye makeup either; if it's an infection you can spread it to the other eye.

Have you had anything get into your eye? I had a scleral scratch that felt a lot like what you are describing. Pain if I squinched my eye closed, pain if I looked a certain way, bloodshot sclera. I know what cut my eye, but if you had something maybe blow in there, you may not have been aware of it. It's not quite as painful as a corneal scratch, but close.
    Get it checked out.

Eyes are the one thing that I do not put off going to a doctor for. I had a strep infection in both eyes as a kid. Maybe your doctors office can bump you up to an earlier visit.
    Proud to have two Takaupa Gold line POAs!
    Takaupas Top Gold
    Gifts Black Gold Knight

Go to the eye dr. Serious. I am TERRIBLE about going to the Dr- usually just wait things out, but even I don't mess around with eyes. Good luck

If you're in Boston or the New England area, get yourself to the Mass Eye and Ear or to Tufts Medical Center; two of the best ophthalmological practices in the country. What you're describing actually sounds like anterior uveitis which is serious in and of itself. Episcleritis isn't as painful with movement or persistent. It could also be something more serious, like posterior scleritis. This can lead to a detached retina and damage to the optic nerve if not properly treated. As others have said, please don't fool around with your eyes. You need to see someone with access to a slit lamp; most optometrists don't have that kind of equipment, so it may mean an ER visit.
    Nine out of ten times, you'll get it wrong...but it's that tenth time that you get it right that makes all the difference.

Better to go to the ophthalmologist. Could be ocular herpes or something scary like that. Better not take any chances!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding

If it were your horse with a painful eye, you wouldn't be waiting!

As Simkie pointed out, your general practitioner probably isn't going to be able to diagnose an eye problem, so waiting a week for that isn't going to help.

The COTH contingent is unanimous: go see an eye doctor ASAP!

(Punkie, is a slit lamp that thing they torture me with, a narrow vertical bright light that they move back and forth (without dilation)?)
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

Quote Originally Posted by wsmoak View Post
    If it were your horse with a painful eye, you wouldn't be waiting!

As Simkie pointed out, your general practitioner probably isn't going to be able to diagnose an eye problem, so waiting a week for that isn't going to help.

The COTH contingent is unanimous: go see an eye doctor ASAP!

(Punkie, is a slit lamp that thing they torture me with, a narrow vertical bright light that they move back and forth (without dilation)?)
    You got it :P
    Nine out of ten times, you'll get it wrong...but it's that tenth time that you get it right that makes all the difference.

Just like with a horse, don't screw around with your eyes. Opthamologist, stat.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I never go to the doctor and have on more than one occasional walked around for weeks with something fractured before doing anything about it. I just had a corneal ulcer. Eyes are no joke. It's painful and you could lose your vision. Don't bother with a general practitioner, get a referral to the eye clinic near you. Good luck.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Thanks for the urging, everyone. Saw an opthalmologist this A.M. - anterior uveitis. Lesson learned.

Prednisolone drops every 2 hours and I go back in a week.

Where the prairie ends and the mountains begin

Glad you got checked out.

Never mess with the eyeballs... lesson I learned after the first round of corneal ulcers. Too bad I got them AGAIN 15 years later.

My doctor said if I get them one more time, he'll bar me from wearing contacts again. Guess that's the push I need to get laser correction.
    Dreaming in Color