The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Help, conditions on 84 in Ct to 95 NJ to SC

I really could use some on ground help.

Does anyone know the conditions on 84 from Hartford, Ct towards NJ Turnpike?

I will be trailering down, usually fill up in NH, then fill up again in NJ. I am hearing all sorts of issues and problems with gas availability and lines and I may need to rethink this.

I cannot get much further than northern NJ without filling up, so am wondering how bad is it in NJ and points south, as well as southern ct along 84?

I will be needing gas for me, and diesal for the tractor trailer.

We will be doing this next weekend, which I know is a long way off, but like to get prepared.

Any other issues that I should be aware of or consider?

A friend of mine in western NJ finally called this morning and said it was horrific there....no gas, no electric, etc. She has run out of water for her horses, its horrible. My cousins in tom's river were rescued by boat from their home...its just crazy.

I just would like to know what to expect. Are the lines long at the 95gas areas? Are you able to fill up or is gas limited?
    thanks so much.
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld

84 and the gas stations off the exits there are all fine and normal in general. Deterioration may be a factor the closer you get to the shore, so gas up before just to be safe. Although I have friends in Clinton and Madison who say Rte 1 is decent in that area. Lotta areas here lost power and the coast was hammered south of Rte 1, but in general we fared ok. I'm still without cable so have very little news outside the state. Little I heard says NJ took a hard hit, maybe someone there will chime in. The little news I read on my phone sounds bad concerning NY and NJ
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

1 members found this post helpful.

You should be okay next weekend. I would just make a point of filling up more times than you normally would to be safe. I definitely would not be making that trip this weekend. But in your case, you'll have another week for power and gas to be restored. I'm in NYC/Queens and my horses are on Long Island. Power is coming back on little by little and gas is on its way. You'll be fine.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

84 is generally fine. If you are coming down 684, gas starts getting scarce around exit 6. Katonah/Mt Kisco/Bedford area is still mostly without power- but should be back to normal by next weekend. If NJ is still crazy, consider using 287 through part of NJ, as it keeps you much farther inland.

The situation in NJ is pretty crazy. I would avoid it if at all possible. However, given you starting and end points, it doesn't sound like you would be able to avoid it. I think you will have better luck staying inland as joie said. If you can go through Pennsylvania and avoid 95, you will have better luck with road conditions and re-fueling.

A lot of gas stations in central NJ are a crapshoot. Many are closed and even the ones that re-opened today ran out of gas very quickly. Lines are 1/2 mile long in some cases with 2+ hour wait times.

If you can get on 287 to I78 and travel that way, I can recommend a couple of places to stop for gas. The Pilot truck stop on I78 at exit 12 has gas and has been getting at least tanker loads per day. You will have to wait a while, but I think you can show up and have an excellent chance at getting gas unlike at some other stations where they run out before you can get through the line.

Once you get into PA the fuel situation is much better.

First of all, I'd say you'll be fine by next weekend. I have heard on the news that they expect the craziness to ease in the next few days. I would hope so, or we locals are going to be completely screwed.

But on the off-chance it's still a mess down here, I would recommend filling up as late as you can in CT and swinging inland if you can as you go further south (taking 287 is a good idea, or even going out of your way to go through PA). I drove the 95 from NYC to New Brunswick and then the 1 to Trenton this morning and every. single. gas station was mayhem, think 50 tractor trailers and countless cars stacked on top of each other and blocking traffic - worse on the 95 the closer you were to NYC, but pretty awful everywhere, and this was at 5am. There were lines of people at dark stations - I don't know how they knew they were opening or if they were just hopeful? But I have heard that once you cross the state line into PA it becomes a lot less crazy.

Good luck - I think/hope things will be more or less normal, at least inland, next week.

Avoid NJ entirely. Go 84 west to 81, and then south on 81 all the way to Staunton, then cut over to 95 in Charlottesville. 81 is a much better, less-traveled road than 95 in any case.

I would fill up in NH, then again in Massachusetts. Could you bring a couple of filled gas cans with you in your truck?
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

I'd also recommend just avoiding NJ. Even in the best conditions I hate driving down that side of the state.
    My CANTER cutie Chip and IHSA shows!
    http://www.youtube.com/kheit86

The NJTP is fine, but getting gas anywhere in NJ is a nightmare. There is also construction on the TP from exit 8a down to 6 that is normally a pain in the neck. I agree with the other posters that advise circumventing NJ.

Elaine in NJ, day 6 without power
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I'm not an outlier; I just haven't found my distribution yet!

Thanks all.
    My usual route, is to take 91-84-684/287 over the tappanzee and then 95 the rest of the way to SC.
    Personally, I HATE 81. hate it. I know a lot of people like it, but I am not one. I really have tried to see why people like it so much, but everytime I take it, well it puts me in a lousy fricking mood its such a bad experience. Longer, too much rolling hills, turns, trucks, longer, longer, etc
    I time 95 to avoid metro ny and dc, and sail along.

I would take 81 this time, but my friend in western nj off 78(which I would take if taking 81) told me there is limited gas, and well, just terrible conditions. She has horses and ran out of water yesterday. She is older, so doesn't use the computer, and her cell reception is lousy. Still downed wires and trees everywhere. I think most of the support is going to the shore or to metro NY, not the outlying areas with less population.

I have seen the pics and news...MB, its horrible, actually its almost unbelievable the air shots seen in the news. I spent summers on the jersey shore, seaside and pt pleasant, long beach island, cousins in brick and tom's river, and still can't get ahold of them, although one texted they were rescued by boat...everything lost.

I would prefer to take 95 and will be on NJ turnpike. Problem is, I am going myself in truck and horse trailer, but have a tractor trailer(licensed taking the horses and I don't think he can carry enough fuel for himself to get thru NJ.

I will be speaking to him and well, we shall see.

I may bump this again towards the end of the week, appreciate those of you in these areas chiming in.
    we are trying to make time, and hours waiting for fuel sort of defeats the purpose.

I suspect things to improve, but well, we are also looking at a nor easter coming too this week.
    I know the news sensationalizes things, but gas lines are why I live in NH!
    thanks all, and stay well. If we are on here, we are better off than many.
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld

Default Odd Even days

NJ just instituted odd/even days for gasoline. If your plate ends in an even number then get gas on an even day, odd numbers get odd days.

Good luck!

and even if your plates match the odd/even day you may still be unable to get gas. Some stations are only getting one truck in per day and they run out early.

Cops are supervising at most gas stations I've seen who have gas.

Just an update - you may find gas more easily if you get off the 95 and drive away from the highway a bit, even just 15 minutes. I have seen gas stations open along the 206 in central NJ that have no lines (many cash only though) and seemed to have gas through the afternoon yesterday and again this morning. Closer to the 95 would be places like Hamilton or Bordentown, which I have heard are mostly powered back up. But it would still require going out of your way and with a tractor trailer, may not be an option...but if you're stuck something to consider.