The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Where have you traveled too?

I've got the travel bug! All I can think about is traveling and different destinations, tours etc I want to do.

So I'm wondering where others have traveled too in the past, or are planning to travel too soon, or would just like to one day visit!

I'm off to Curacao for Christmas this year. REALLY excited about that! I've been to Mexico, Cuba, Dominican Republic and Ireland. I would love to travel somewhere more exotic but am left dreaming of those vacations for a while

So until that time comes, I want to hear about all the trips/destinations/tours you did and the good/bad/ugly of them!

It was for work, but I've been to the Philippines twice -- first to Cebu and then to Manila. The trip to Cebu was the first time I had ever been outside the United States, so quite an introduction to international travel!

I probably wouldn't go again just for a vacation, especially now coming from the East coast. The flight is brutal, out of LAX with a refueling stop in Guam before you finally get to Manila.

I've also been to Amsterdam twice and would love to go back and spend more time in the museums. Those paintings we've all seen in our humanities textbooks are something else entirely seen in person.
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

When I was in college, I bummed around Europe one summer with a friend. We went to England, Scotland, Wales, N. Ireland, Ireland, Belgium, Holland, Germany, and Austria.

Since then DH and I have travelled mostly to Austria to celebrate our major anniversaries. This year we also went to Paris for the 4 Schools performances. One of my favorite trips was when we traveled around Austria to B&B places that also had horses and would take you on trail rides. That was a really fun trip and the countryside was just beautiful.

Europe, because I grew up there. (France, Germany, Belgium, Luxemburg, Netherlands, Austria, Italy, Spain and England)
    Canada, because I live here. (Been to both coasts, Rockies, Quebec, but have not gone to the Prairies or to the real Great North).
    All around the States in my youth on Greyhound buses. Glad I did it, but will never board another Greyhound bus again.
    Mexico, Venezuela, Jamaica, Antigua, Barbados, Martinique.

I have no desire to go to Africa or Asia, but would love to go to Sweden, Norway or to South America, Galapagos Islands.

For surfing, I've been to Costa Rica and El Salvador (waves are better en El Salvador, but the food is better in Costa Rica ). I loved the country and hiking in CR, but it was pretty cool to be on a deserted beach in El Salvador in the water and look out and realize that you're surfing next to the calderra of an exploded volcano!

Fun question! I too have a bad case of the travel bug. I've been to 42 states, Canada, Ireland, France, Switzerland, Monaco, Italy, the Netherlands and Japan and I have tickets booked to go to Puerto Rico in December. So far my favorite places have been Ireland, Quebec and Maine. DH and I are trying to plan something big for our 10th Anniversary (coming up soon) and I think we've got it narrowed down to doing an Eco Tour in Patagonia or a safari.
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

Been thinking about this a lot lately.

where I've been: Bahamas, Mexico, Canada, South Korea (with the Army Reserves), and the former USSR (Moscow, Tblisi and Leningrad -- 1989, 6 months before the fall of the Berlin wall). In the US, I've been all over and it's easier to say where I haven't been (Hawaii, Alaska, Oregon, Oklahoma, Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas, North Carolina, and most of New England).

Where I want to go: New Zealand, Kenya/S. Africa, Hawaii, Alaska, Ireland, England....
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

I have been all around the U.S., though I have missed some states in the middle of the country. Within the U.S., there are some wonderful cities (e.g., NYC, San Francisco) and some amazing national parks.

Outside of the U.S., I have been to Mexico, Canada, Bahamas, St. Maarten, and Costa Rica. In Europe, I've been Scotland, Germany, Austria, Belgium, Switzerland, Spain, France, Romania, and Italy. I have also been to China and Japan.

I absolutely love Italy, and I also love Vienna! I've actually enjoyed most everywhere I've been in Europe.

Right about now I'm ready to go anywhere. I really want to go to France. Maybe I will go for WEG 2014 in Normandy.

Been to Canada (does that count?), Chile, Portugal, Czech Republic, and Poland. Enjoyed each and every place. Hope to add more stamps to my passport soon!
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Now that is a fun thread.

I come from Europe, so I have traveled to the USA.

I also have been to North Africa and a bit around the Mediterranean.

Never made it yet to the USA West and I hear that, if there is only one place you need to see in your lifetime, Alaska is that, as it is beautiful in a grandiose way.

Then, I road foundered many years ago and now I am staying put.

Internationally: Bahamas, Italy (twice), Bermuda. Stopovers don't count but I've spent over 5 hours in Germany! That list is so stupidly small it saddens me.

Stateside: all of the New England states (ME, NH, VT, MA [because I live here!], RI, CT), NY, PA, NJ, DE, MD, D.C. (not really a state, though), VA, NC, SC, GA, FL, MI, KY, NV. Not bad but I'd like it to be more.

England, Ireland, Wales, Germany, France, Holland, St. Lucia, Costa Rica, Canada, Mexico. Most of the U.S. states.

I love this question since I too, love to travel and feel more at home in other countries than I do here in the States.

Places I have been:
    Summer of 2004 called Vienna home for 4 months, did horse shows in Germany, Czech, Hungary, drove all over Germany, Austria, and Czech looking at horses.

In the summer of 2005 I called Apledorne, Netherlands home (was there for 4 months) did horse shows in Reisenback, Germany, Beekbergen NL, Salzburg Austria
    got to visit Aachen, Germany, have dinner in Belgium, spent time in Amsterdam as well as Munich, Germany. Drove all over The Netherlands, Germany, Austria, Belgium, and Luxemburg.

Toured England for the summer of 2006 , (home was just outside of London) doing the horse show circuit, mainly central England and the West hand side.

summer of 2011 did 30 days in Paris (study abroad), got to visit many places with in commutting distance from Paris, including Chantilly and St Remi, rode a train through Switzerland, 7 in Venice, then did some traveling on my own. Went to Sweden for a long week, then back to France, back to Amsterdam (where I missed my plane and had to spend an extra week there )

North American wise, I have been to Toronto. Up to Swans Island Maine and down to West Palm Beach.

I have never been West of the Eastern Time Zone, and I have lived in 6 different states all for the love of horses.

Outside the US- Russia, Ireland, Scotland, England, N. Ire., France, Spain, Germany, Belgium, the Netherlands, Italy, Czech Republic, Canada (Banff/Canadian Rockies), Bahamas. I would go back to any of them in a second
    In the US- I need to go back to Alaska (spent a summer there and it still wasn't enough) and Wyoming.
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.(Churchill)

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

UK + Non Continental Europe: England (born), Scotland - Edinburgh (lived), Wales & S. Ireland (travelled to)

Continental Europe: Paris, France (lived), Switzerland (Geneva, Interlaken & the alps), Austria (Vienna! LOVE), Italy (Rome, Florence, Venice, Pisa), Prague, Bratislava, Budapest, Corsica, Principality of Monaco

America: Most of the East Coast, Wyoming (lived), Utah, Colorado & California

Africa: South Africa (lived in Cape Town, travelled the Garden Route & east coast), Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania

Top 3 cities:
    Edinburgh
    Cape Town
    London
    and then...
    Washington DC
    Paris
    Vienna
    Florence

Top 2/sort of 3 countries to travel to:
    UK
    South Africa
    ....France. But I still have mixed feelings about it, though do have lots of good friends there I need to go back and see .

I have so many places I want to go. Next country is probably India, but there's still a lot of Africa I want to see (Mozambique & Morocco are both high on my list) so I don't know if I'll ever get to India! More realistically I really really want to get to Canada as I've never been, and now have friends in both Ontario & Vancouver, so no excuse not to go! There's also so much of America I'd love to see, like the Pacific NW. My best friend is moving to Australia at the start of the year, so Australia and New Zealand are hopefully in the not to distant future.

I'm going to St Lucia (first time in that part of the world!) with my family over Christmas so am very excited about that too!
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

I've been to Cuba several times (fine for a tropical relaxation, and cheap and safe), Puerto Rico once (bioluminescent lagoon FTW!), Mexico twice (once to the Mayan Riviera area which was great, once to Yucatan where the water was not really clear - we ended up renting a car and driving down into the Mayan Riviera area just to snorkel in clear waters .

In Europe I've been to Poland and Germany many times (born in Poland and most of my family is there, and I lived in Germany). If you're gonna visit Poland, the Krakow area is the best IMO, and you don't want to miss the Wieliczka salt mine. In Germany Munich and its area are wonderful (for example, the Neuschwanstein castle).
    Been to Prague twice, it's simply wonderful. And very compact I really, really love Prague. It's just a fun city to visit and stay in.
    Bulgaria as a kid, but pretty much stayed on the beach camping so no help there.
    Also been to Paris when my cousin lived there, unfortunately didn't get to see anything else of France. But Paris is an experience, and while the usual touristy things (landmarks, museums) are on every must-see list - well, there's a good reason for that!
    And Barcelona and its immediate area too. It's a very fun, walkable city, great to spend a week there. I'm not into architecture by any means, but the Gaudi buildings blew me away! The Dali museum near Barcelona (we rented a car) is also wonderful.

I've also been to Cyprus for a few days. Didn't see much, a few old ruins but was there more to relax than to tour. Also spent a few days in Dubai (I did check out the mall with the indoor ski set-up, and went up on the tower and to the gold and spice Souks - failed at having coffee at sail-shaped hotel though. Not the friendliest place, I was very respectful with my clothing despite the heat but when the guys I was touring with stepped into a shop I got a lot of nasty looks and some muttered words from people on the sidewalk, possibly for being a woman out alone?) and Al Fujairah (resort only).

I've also been to Hong Kong and Japan (both brief, ~ 1 week each - in HK we had the aunt of one of my friends show us around so we did a lot of touristy things. the big Buddha and Po Lin monastery, Victoria Peak, harbot cruise, cruise to see pink dolphins, etc. In Japan my friend and I were on our own basically doing a whirlwind cross-country train tour, staying for a night in Kyoto, a few nights near Tokyo and doing day trips from there, then back to Kyoto for a night and back over to Korea on the ferry. Honestly I loved Kyoto and wish we had more time there, it's so beautiful. We did go to a hot spring bath in Shizuoka, I think? It was a lot of fun too).

To Korea I've been three times for almost a month each, so I've seen a *lot* of the country. It's one of my favorite places, but also a place you really need someone who at least speaks the language to really appreciate, IMO. It's not as easy being a tourist on your own as in HK or Japan, where there are a lot on English signs/directions.

My most epic trip was in 2010, to Tanzania. I climbed Kilimanjaro, did a standard safari through 4 parks, and a horseback safari. Awesome, awesome time. But you seriously need to be with a guided trip in any city, otherwise the local guide/seller/whatever-wannabes won't leave you alone.

Been to Afghanistan a couple of times. Can't really recommend it, but the fresh giant naan and freshly picked pomegranates were a plus.

My dream list includes Iceland, New Zealand and diving the Great Barrier reef, the Galapagos Islands, and an Arctic cruise. And Egypt, and Madagascar, and mainland China (yeah yeah, I wanna see the Wall).

2 members found this post helpful.

I'm a lucky girl, and I've been able to travel quite a bit over the last ten years.

I'm Canadian, and I've seen lots of Canada (though not the Maritimes--it's on the list). I've also seen bits of the US (mostly in the East). I've also travelled to Europe several times: England, Ireland, Scotland, France, Spain, Germany, Netherlands, Greece and Italy.

I'm living in Asia right now, and I've had a chance to visit South Korea (I'm living there now), China, Hong Kong, Thailand, Cambodia and Singapore, Jordan and the UAE.

I've also been to Egypt and Morocco in Northern Africa. I'd love to go back to Egypt when it's more stable, and to do a safari some time soon.

Still on the list: Prague, Vienna and Eastern Europe. Sub-Saharan Africa, Easter Island, New Zealand, the Canadian Maritimes and Japan. Turkey is on the list too, but I'm planning a trip there early next year

Western Europe is definitely the easiest area for travellers that I've been to, but if you have any travel experience, much of Asia and the Northern African countries I've visited are really not that intimidating. I've travelled in the Middle East too, and it wasn't too scary. Learning a little bit about local culture (as a woman, knowing what is appropriate dress and how to keep myself safe are two things I always research before I go somewhere new) before I go has always helped. I also speak French, which has been really useful many times.
    Founder of the "I met a COTHer in a foreign country" clique!

I hope you dive if you're going to Curacao. There's not much else to do, but it is AMAZING. We've gone the last two years for a week, all inclusive with a free shore dive a day (all equipment included) for $700. Yep. There's not much else to do there. The snorkeling is not great. The town is eh (I hope you're not staying in town.) The aquarium is funky, but something to do. The caves are great and the one thing you should do. You can take the bus there for about $2, and it's a $6 entrance fee.

I've been a lot. Some of the bucket list things that I would always recommend are bioluminescent bay in Puerto Rico, Egypt, walking across the Sahara Desert in Morocco, seeing the killing fields in Cambodia, the amazing granite outcroppings in southern Thailand, snorkeling in Bali, flying over glaciers in Alaska, on the equator in Quito Ecuador and watching the water switch directions going down the drain as you go from side to side!, being within 5 feet of flowing lava in Hawaii.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some, but been most of Europe, Greece, Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, Alaska, lots of the US, Honduras, Costa Rica and lots of central America, Mexico, Canada, Turkey.

Galapogas Islands would be a major one I want to do should I get some bunch of money I had to spend.

Mexico, Iceland, England (but only for 12 hours on a layover), Kenya and Tanzania on a safari, Spice Islands (Zanzibar), New Zealand, Malaysia (Borneo), Singapore, Cambodia, the Maldives and Thailand. I would move to New Zealand if I could- absolutely loved it. Next on the wish list is Australia, or possibly Morocco since I have a friend to stay with if I can get there.

Going on a safari should be on the top of everyone's bucket list. It was absolutely fantastic in every way.

Italy, Spain, Monaco, France, Mexico (3 months each in Baja CA Sur & Veracruz), Costa Rica (6 mos), Panama & Nicaragua.

Favorites in no particular order:
    Mexico City
    Monteverde, Costa Rica
    Granada, Nicaragua
    Barcelona
    Panama City
    Aix en Provence France
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue