The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Joint Supplements for People? Anyone take?

We take so much care of our horses and make sure they are comfortable, but often don't look after ourselves as well. I'm 45 and feeling the aches and pains from the years of riding and barn chores. I was just curious if anyone takes any type of supplements that seem to help for joints or tendons/ligaments.

Related, The other week I had a cortisone injection in my ankle, and I told my doctor that I felt like my horse, which got me to thinking about this stuff. The shot didn't help me, but the MRI showed a fracture, so trying to heal that. Wondering if anything will also help the bones heal quicker/stronger. I guess those are two separate questions, though.

Any opinions?
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

lots of people take joint supplements, with excellent results. I do myself- it really helps my knees, which I trashed early in life running incorrectly in "traditional" shoes. I buy a liquid cocktail of the most common ingredients (glucosamine, chondroitin, HA, MSM) from Whole foods- gulp a berry-flavored shot glass of the stuff each day to keep the aches and pains away. I also take omega-3 fatty acids in the form of the red krill oil caps to reduce inflammation.

I shouldn't be old enough for aches and pains but have inherited a crapshoot of a body as far as joints and and skeletal issues are concerned. Playing soccer for 6 years, plus riding for 15, hasn't helped. When I'm in more serious "work" I LOVE gluco-chondriotin or msm. I can def tell a difference, much better than having to pop a tylenol every time you get aches and pains.
    Tin Roof Living- Custom Wreaths & Home Décor
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/TinRoofLiving?ref=ss_profile
    PM me to receive a COTH discount!

I take MSM for knee pain. I can definitely tell when I've missed taking it vs. taking it!
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

I wish that they did work for me. Over the years, I've tried several different glucosamine/chondroitin combinations, added MSM, tried MSM alone, etc. I've tried everything from the most expensive to the bargain brands. Nothing made one bit of difference. I finally stopped wasting my money.

I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with them, they just don't seem to work with my body. I would say, give them a try. You never can tell and I certainly don't think that it would do any harm.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

I take glucosamine and condroitin. My hips and knees hurt like crazy if I don't take the pills for some time. I have to take them regularly- every day for a couple of weeks before I feel better. But I do feel so much more comfortable especially at night when I'm in the routine. When I'm not, i just ache.
    MrB will even ask me if I haven't been taking them... I guess there's an increase in whining when I don't!
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

Interesting. Thanks, all, for responding. Guess a little research is in order, then just give it a try.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

GNC Triflex (MSM, chondroitin, HA, and glucosamine) and fish oil. I was having pretty bad hip pain that was waking me every night at just around 2:00 am.

http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4266766

I was also having a heck of a time mounting the horse. I was trying to mount by lifting from my rib cage. This had been creeping up on me for some time. If I was in the saddle for more than 45 minutes or so my hips started telling me it was time to get off. Even going on light hacks started to hurt me.

A friend recommended the product, and after about 5 weeks of taking it I realized I wasn't waking up in pain any more. Because I'm skeptical about everything I stopped taking it and within a few weeks the pain returned. Started taking it again and haven't looked back.

Also after a few more months I realized that I had gone from struggling to get on the horse to being able to mount smoothly again. I can also go out hacking for a couple hours without too much pain. I hadn't put the nighttime hip pain together with not being able to get on the horse but it turns out it was the same issue.

It takes a little time to start working but it does work. The GNC product is a little more expensive than some others but I got their discount card and stock up on the buy one get one 50% sales and I'd say it costs me less than $300.00/year for both the triflex and the fish oil. I'd happily pay three times that.

I'm 53 and while I won't say that my joints feel like I'm 20 again they maybe feel like they did when I was in my late 30's and that isn't too bad.

I've been taking Glucosamine and Chondroitin for years. I have no joint pain at all. I'm 53. I believe, just like everything else, it works for some folks, not so much for others. You do need to take it for some time to get the full effects. I'll probably be on it for life.
    Of course, some of us age better than others due to a combination of our genetics, and stupid decisions made during our youth.
    Some days the best thing about my job is that the chair spins.

I take vegetarian glucosamine (GNC) and MSM daily, otherwise my right knee swells and I am enough pain I can hardly walk. With it my knee is no problem.

Christa