The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I don't use it when going to work...office job, no sweating involved. I know I don't stink; there are too many people in my life who would be happy to tell me if I did! My BO uses a deodorant stone that I keep meaning to try out. I assume it works, because she smells fine to me!
    "A horse gallops with his lungs, perseveres with his heart, and wins with his character." - Tesio

I have never been able to use deodorant, I'm severely allergic to everything I've tried and while in high school being a paranoid teenager I tried everything!
    I've never smelled and I sweat a lot, I have enough people in my life that would tell me if I did! They'd probably enjoy it!

I have found lately, that I can use Secret hypoallergenic deodorant occasionally and not react. But if used every day, I'm a walking airplane for at least a week! So if I'm working out or riding I'll swipe some on (if I remember) but to be honest, it's more about making me feel better (I guess I haven't lost that paranoid teenager! ) than about it being the difference to being smelly or not.

Many years ago they linked Mitchum to breast cancer.
    this isn't true, that was a big scam. There was another big scam linking aluminum to alzheimers. Both totally untrue.

Unless you're actually allergic to some particular ingredient in deoderant/antiperspirant, it's not unhealthy in any way. All the deoderants do is block the growth of bacteria in your pits, and it's the bacteria that causes the odor. The antiperspirants block local sweating with an aluminium compound that makes the sweat glands swell shut. These aluminum compounds are extremely prevalent in your environment, and you get exposed to them all the time whether or not you use antiperspirants.
    Many of the "deoderant stones" are just solid chunks of the same aluminum compounds put in regular antiperspirants- others use different minerals (usually potassium alum) that act in exactly the same way as the aluminum compounds in antiperspirants. So-called "natural" antiperspirants tend to use potassium alum, which is arguably less natural than the oh-so-common and natural aluminum salts.

2 members found this post helpful.

I don't often use it. I have some on hand if I think the situation calls for it. DH stopped using deodorant too. Honestly I think natural human body smell isn't gross, if I stink then I need a shower. Also found when my magnesium level is sufficient (also known as remembering to take vitamins) I don't smell offensive.
    for more Joy then you can handle
    http://dangerbunny.blogspot.com/

Where the prairie ends and the mountains begin

Quote Originally Posted by Pocket Pony View Post
    Oh, and another thing. A lot of the new "tech" fabrics STINK when you sweat. If you're going the no- or hippie-deodorant route, stick to 100% cotton shirts.
    I do agree that "tech" shirts like polyester and polypropylene tend to be more odoriferous than cotton. However, the advantages of technical fabrics and their moisture wicking capacities over cotton can be life saving in certain situation. The disadvantages of cotton are complete deterrents for me when dressing for any type of exercise. So while cotton might not hold smell as bad as technical fabrics, it actually traps the moisture near your skin.

If you want to get the stink out of technical shirts, add about a cup of vinegar to the wash. Works like a charm, especially on those hard to get stink free Patagonia shirts.

I don't wear deoderent much anymore, but I work from home and when I do go out it's usally to hike, bike ride or walk the dogs. And I really don't care if I smell while exercising. I'll put it on after I shower to go out to eat, or meet friends, etc. But if I am just going to the barn? Nope, don't care.
    Dreaming in Color

My husband has started wearing more wool in place of the stinky polyester technical clothes. He even has a wool mountain biking shirt. He can wear that thing 3 days in a row before it even starts to stink - I know, ick right? I didn't believe him until I gave it the sniff test - that took a lot of cajoling by him. The other bike shirts are such funk factories. We use Penguin Sport Wash and that works better than that Tide with Febreeze stuff.
    You are what you dare.

I don't use it. Most of them make me itch and I'm not keen on spraying chemicals directly on my skin.

I just wash regularly and stick to natural fabrics.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

I expect those that can go without just don't smell as much as those that, well, smell more.

Easy to be smug about not smelling if you don't smell much to start with.
    If you do, there is no washing that can keep you from smelling a bit.
    Just as we smell some smokers, no matter how much they wash or use deodorant/mints/perfume.

Who's being smug?
    "A horse gallops with his lungs, perseveres with his heart, and wins with his character." - Tesio

Quote Originally Posted by Donkerbruin View Post
    Who's being smug?
    I would say, in this context, those that can go without deodorant "for days" and not smell some.

Maybe their sense of smell is lacking?

Just teasing, of course. Happy for them.

I can't go without deodorant. I'll be stinky 2 hours after I get out of the shower if I don't wear it. I can do without anti perspirants though since I usually wear tank tops.

I tried a "natural" deodorant once, Tom's. It gave me a horrible itchy rash, so I went back to my good ol' chemicals.
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett

I am very sensitive to any sort of gunk put on my body. I tried the route of all natural everything, including deodorants and personal care items. The one that worked the best was by Aubrey Naturals, but as of the late 80s is no longer being made. The next thing you can use is one of the solid stones. They do help, but you should wash and reapply a couple times a day. I now use regular, off the shelf gunk once more. I just have to be careful to use sensitive skin formulas.
    Proud to have two Takaupa Gold line POAs!
    Takaupas Top Gold
    Gifts Black Gold Knight

I've had to stop using it. I seem to have developed an allergy to something in it. I itch like crazy if I put it on and get a rash in my pits. Not worth it! I do sweat and get stinky...I'm a farrier...so I guess it's expected to some degree anyway. No one has ever complained but I am self conscious a bit. In this climate in mid summer, the heat index is so miserable, antiperspirant doesn't work long anyway.

One thing I do now in hot weather is wear moisture wicking backpacking type clothing. You don't stay wet for long in those clothes and I think that makes a huge difference. If you get sweaty in a cotton shirt or jeans, you'll be damp for hours and I think that would only make it worse.

Just wanted to add after reading the second page that my backpacking clothes do not hold stink at all. Mine are mostly nylon and very lightweight, loose fitting and super comfortable. I prefer them to jeans really.

I use deodorant regularly from the Body Shop. But the last time I ran out and grabbed some random antiperspirant I had yo throw it out as it was causing a rash.

When I used antiperspirant/deodorant, I found that it made me more smelly and sweaty than I should be. So last year I started making my own deodorant from coconut oil, cornstarch and baking soda and I'll never go back. It works, it's very soothing and you can give it any scent you want. No harmful chemicals.

I'll sweat, but not as quickly as before. I hated trying to wash the commercial stuff off me----it's like glue!

Mannny years ago in my teens I really perspired, and used an antiperspirant with aluminum chlorhidrate regularly. Then went off as a riding instructor to the summer camp from he**. Was there just a couple of weeks and developed a rash to match. Skin came off both underarms and I was in agony for a couple of weeks. We were out in the middle of nowhere and I had an enormous responsibility - they only had a nurse on staff, and I just had to deal with it. Once healed, I stopped perspiring. And I have since then used only mild stick deodorant, NOT an antiperspirant. And haven't had a problem since.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Quote Originally Posted by pony baloney View Post
    When I used antiperspirant/deodorant, I found that it made me more smelly and sweaty than I should be. So last year I started making my own deodorant from coconut oil, cornstarch and baking soda and I'll never go back. It works, it's very soothing and you can give it any scent you want. No harmful chemicals.

I'll sweat, but not as quickly as before. I hated trying to wash the commercial stuff off me----it's like glue!
    Pony - this is why I asked the question - all the sudden this is what was happening to me! I realized that even after I took a shower I still was smelly. This is after years of using deodorant and having no issues. I quit cold turkey after doing some reading about how the deodorant itself can cause the problem. It took a few days of washing with vinegar and baking soda and now I am totally fine without anything. However, its fall, I am really wondering how it will go when summer is here.

Quote Originally Posted by islgrl View Post
    Pony - this is why I asked the question - all the sudden this is what was happening to me! I realized that even after I took a shower I still was smelly. This is after years of using deodorant and having no issues. I quit cold turkey after doing some reading about how the deodorant itself can cause the problem. It took a few days of washing with vinegar and baking soda and now I am totally fine without anything. However, its fall, I am really wondering how it will go when summer is here.
    Maybe you will adjust during the winter and can get away with just using baking soda later on. I tried that but it was a bit irritating to my skin. My homemade stuff (2 tbs. coconut oil, then 1/4 cup filled 1/3 baking soda, 2/3 cornstarch) has less BS because of that. I add EO to mine because if I should get smelly, I want a scent there to cover it. In my work I'm very close to people (massage therapist) and constantly worried in the beginning if my mix would work when something like Mitchum failed, but it's working great.

If you want to try going without deodorant and are concerned about smell, try drinking a liquid chlorophyll supplement. I take a certain medication that really ups the stinky perspiration, and after I tried the chlorophyll on someone's suggestion, the smell went away.