The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Has anyone ever quit using antiperspirant/deoderant?

How does it work in the summer? Do you have a regular office job that requires you not stink? Do you use any natural products that help?

Yes! Had an amazing allergy attack-could not put my arms down and had to walk around looking like a small airplane! Doctor told me not to wear. Lived in AZ, NM and CO during that time, with no problems, traveled, lived in Kenya. I'm pretty good on hygiene , do not sweat much anyway but have not had any problems-work in offices, have a husband, friends, ride horses, hike and so far, so good! I do check in with family periodically and they have toldme they have never noticed any problems (and they are not shy about sharing!!) Im sure there are natural products available but haven't found any. Of course, I think we are overpampered in this country with products anyway!!

A fair question, I suppose, but I'm curious why someone would want to? (I hate antiperspirants personally because they pretty much gum up my armpits, but always use deodorant.)
    If I knew what I were doing, why would I take lessons?

"Things should be as simple as possible,
    but no simpler." - Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by lilitiger2 View Post
    Yes! Had an amazing allergy attack ...
    That makes sense, though not all such products have the same ingredients.
    If I knew what I were doing, why would I take lessons?

"Things should be as simple as possible,
    but no simpler." - Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Adamantane View Post
    A fair question, I suppose, but I'm curious why someone would want to? (I hate antiperspirants personally because they pretty much gum up my armpits, but always use deodorant.)
    Because the chemicals in the products are incredibly bad for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamantane View Post
    That makes sense, though not all such products have the same ingredients.
    Yeah, probably so but I was not interested in "exploring"which ones did and didn't work. It was so awful I hope NEVER to go through that again!

I would have wet reeking armpits were it not for extra-strength anti-perspirant. I sweat, a lot. At one time I used Dry-Sol for a while (scrip from dermatologist) because I had problems with HUGE wet stains and it was super-embarrassing. It happened even if I was indoors and not overheated. I've grown out of that, but do still need the heavy-duty pit sauce.

Chemicals, schmemicals. Lots of stuff is "incredibly bad for you", but you'll go freaking nuts trying to avoid it all.

7 members found this post helpful.

I had laser hair removal done and get a couple of hairs a year grow back. I think this is what has helped a lot with not smelling, and I rarely sweat when not working out. I haven't used deodorant/antiperspirant for years and I live in Florida

I'm not sure if your skin would be too sensitive for laser hair removal, but it might be something to look into, or waxing?

Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post
    I would have wet reeking armpits were it not for extra-strength anti-perspirant. I sweat, a lot. At one time I used Dry-Sol for a while (scrip from dermatologist) because I had problems with HUGE wet stains and it was super-embarrassing. It happened even if I was indoors and not overheated. I've grown out of that, but do still need the heavy-duty pit sauce.

Chemicals, schmemicals. Lots of stuff is "incredibly bad for you", but you'll go freaking nuts trying to avoid it all.
    Right, but you can avoid putting certain things directly on your skin where it can be absorbed very easily. And plenty of people care about chemicals and what they do to their bodies, myself included.

1 members found this post helpful.

Well, I have had allergy rashes to different kinds and it is miserable.
    Still, I do have a problem, can shower/bathe, put on absolutely clean clothes, use antiperspirant and in a bit I can myself already tell there is a certain odor wafting around me.

I check with others and they tell me they don't notice, but I wonder if they are being nice or their noses are not as sensitive.

If we have been working all day in the heat, I definitely strip off and shower and get on clean clothes again.

Without some kind of good soaps and deodorants, "chemicals" or not, I think it would not be a good situation, unless everyone else doesn't wash.

I grew up before there was much other than rough soaps and perfumes, baths once a week the norm for many.
    There were no hygienic products of any kind, no tampons or pads, all used a folded hand towel for that time of the month you kept washing and washing every chance you had and wore again well wrung out, etc.
    Yes, people of all kinds were stinky then, but it was everyone, so no one noticed.

I am very thankfully for today's cleaner world, even if we do that thru more water usage and "those horrible chemicals".

3 members found this post helpful.

i tried deordorant and anitpersperant (gee, spell much suz?!) in high school and hated them.
    i'm in my fifties now and haven't ever had any complaints about body odor or wet armpits.
    except for the hot flashes, but i use corn starch if i get damp.

Don't use it.

Some days I just go without honestly.

I use a combo of baking soda and coconut oil with mixed results.

I live in Texas so it gets wicked hot of course but I do okay.

Back in high school and college I suffered BADLY from hyperhidrosis--used to sweat all over my clothes regularly! Incredibly embarrassing and limited my wardrobe. It has been seriously reduced since! I think this is partially from just eating way way healthier. I do still sweat (especially if wearing a tight t-shirt for example) but it is in no way as bad as it used to be!

I forgot to put mine on today, does that count?
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

2 members found this post helpful.

Menopause works.....

In liue of that, try a deoderant stone; friend of mine has bad allergies to soaps, shampoos, etc and he finally tried the stone after his brother and I browbeat him into it. They work great, used them myself for years and the added bonus, they last forever.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

1 members found this post helpful.

I have gone through periods when I didn't use it (honestly, I was on a health kick and trying to get rid of chemicals). I heard that your body would adapt, and it did to some extent. I don't think I was particularly horribly smelly, and as long as I showered daily and wiped down at night, I couldn't really tell. I live in Florida, too, and it's hot here. I would SWEAT, but it wasn't horribly smelly sweat. It probably did have something to do with the whole eating better, etc. at the time. I need to get better about the whole thing again - I'm single and the food is definitely not the healthiest these days . It's not horrible but I did do PF chang's last night and that's NOT good for you!

I should also note that I was also surfing almost daily then, and the salt water probably didn't hurt, either.

I ran out once and went for about a week before getting more, and man did I reek- it was a sort of unpleasant lingering odor that didn't really go away with soap and water. I ended up throwing out some of the clothing I had worn towards the end of that week because I couldn't get the smell out.
    It was the same sort of stink that I remember from grad school when we had some students from other cultures- a strong lingering smell that would remain in rooms for some time after the person in question had left. I thought at the time it was from failure to wash regularly, but now I think it might just be failure to use deoderant.

Many years ago they linked Mitchum to breast cancer. Gave it away and have not looked back since.

My entire family is sweaty and smelly. THey continued to use it and encouraged me to do so. Nope. Only they said I smelled. I just don't think they wanted me to leave the fold.

Menopause has brought some serious challenges. I sweat right through my clothes! Pants, socks, everything.

I use the stone when I remember but I have not heard any complaints in years.
    “Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.”
    ? Albert Einstein

I, too, quit using "regular" deodorant because of the chemicals. Bad for you or not, I just don't want that stuff on my body. I use hippie deodorant instead - the liquid crystal stuff. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Or rather, sometimes I don't sweat enough to stink and sometimes I do. Since I am at home 90% of the time, I don't worry about it, though. Although I will say that the cat seems to be attracted to my scent for some reason - she'll come up to me and rub her head in my armpit!
    My Mustang Adventures - Mac, my mustang | Annwylid D'Lite - my Cob filly

"A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

I'm allergic to most of it. I also hate how it gets all over my clothes and ruins them. I have used this stuff for many years now and I love it:
    http://www.lushusa.com/Aromaco/00051...gid=deodorants

No one can smell it or me and it doesn't damage my clothes.
    You are what you dare.

2 members found this post helpful.

Oh, and another thing. A lot of the new "tech" fabrics STINK when you sweat. If you're going the no- or hippie-deodorant route, stick to 100% cotton shirts. Also, tank tops are good in the summertime so the sweat doesn't get on your shirts to make them/you stinky - it can evaporate or you can wipe yourself off with a damp cloth. Clothes that are very fitted (like tight around the armpit area) also make me stinkier than looser-fitting tops.
    My Mustang Adventures - Mac, my mustang | Annwylid D'Lite - my Cob filly

"A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran