The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anyone ever had this problem with BC?

I've taken BC (orthotricycline lo) over the last decade. Never had a single complaint when I was on it, no side effects whatsoever. But every time I've gone off it (after taking it for at least a year without breaks or missing pills) it's taken longer for my normal cycle to return. First time was about 2-3 months, no biggie. Last time was a year and it was solved by going to the gyno who said everything was normal down there and to start taking the pills again! Which I did ... no problems while on it.

went back off again (I know this sounds like a lot but I'm talking a 10 year span now) and no cycle again for a year+. I'm not looking to get preggers any time soon and everyone I know who's in their 30s ended up taking hormones to boost ovulation anyway, so I figure that's probably in my future anyhow whenever I'm at that point.

Just wondering, anyone else had this problem? I mean, I don't mind not having my period, but just thinking it's not good long term! I had no issues with BC while on it and always encourage friends to use it. But I wonder if it actually harms fertility a lot more than people realize??

FWIW my cycle was always on the light/mildly irregular end before starting BC.

Why do you keep going off it?? I've been on BC non-stop for about 10 years. I don't understand why you are going off it every year or so?
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

Keep breaking up with bfs I would prefer not to take hormones if I don't have to. I'm not talking every few months or anything, but like taking it for 2 years followed by 1 year off. And I am very good about taking the pills correctly.

The conspiracy theorist in me kinda wonders if big pharma just wants to sell us BC now so they can sell us IVF later.

Perhaps an underlying problem masked or corrected by your BC?
    Happened with me, so I stayed on the pill.

Nope. Not on it. Synthetic hormones are not a part of my birth control protocol. Am in committed relationship and am diligent about preventing pregnancy but don't feel bad in the SLIGHTEST about not being on The Pill or even having an IUD. Too many horror stories from friends, articles, doctor's reports for me to even consider it.

PM me if you want any more details.

1 members found this post helpful.

My college roommate did the same. She only had periods if she was on BC. I have no idea what she ended up doing about it though, and I haven't talked to her in years.

I had the opposite problem. I had three periods from hell after going off the pill. They were so bad, I've never gone back on hormonal BC, simply because coming off was so painful.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

BC is regularily prescribed to women with irregular periods or poly cystic ovary syndrome (PCOS). I know you said you were "checked out" but were you checked for PCOS?

I have irregular periods off the pill and it's borderline whether I have PCOS or not. I have cystic ovaries, but don't meet other common PCOS symptoms (obesity, acne etc - I'm stick thin and have great skin), but I stay on the pill whether in a relationship or not because of the cystic ovaries and irregular periods.

I just hate oral BC all together.... get and IUD, they come in low hormone and hormone free.. stay away from the copper, It'll be cheeper in the long run and more effective. That's my two cents anyway.

As far as your question, if you're underweight or anemic that can often times have someting to do with it

I got pregnant on ortho-tricyclin.
    "I'm an idealist. I don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way."

It's actually pretty common from what I hear. I just went off of BC pills after being on them for 18 years. I got a MIrena IUD a month ago and my period was due this week, and nada. Gyn says that it's EXTREMELY common for it to take awhile for your body to start having normal cycles again - it's like it's not sure if it should ovulate or what. Without the pills telling your body to build and shed the lining, things are all confused!

Hormones are like the circuit board to your brain. They can control your thoughts, feelings, values, everything! Every hormone based birth control has side effects; some big, some small depending on the rest of your hormonal make-up.
    OP, you are seeing one of the many effects that can happen from screwing with that system. I'm guessing no one has ever done a full hormone panel on you (where you go in and have blood drawn every 3 days at the crack of dawn for a month)? They should.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

1 members found this post helpful.

This frightens me! I've been on BC for 9 years and I have been thinking a lot lately of going off of it. I'm in a committed relationship but no where near ready to be able to support a kid if an oppsie happened.

My Dr says as long as there were no issues behind why I went on BC in the first place then I should have no issues conceiving when the time is right but the more I think about it the more I feel like having all these "extra" hormones in my body isn't good. But I don't want no babies!

I have been off for almost a year, after being on for 10. The artificial hormones are absolutely horrible for your body and they recommend not being on them long term, so if you can stay off and use alternate methods and avoid the synthetic hormones, do that. Everyone's body is different and your cycle and your transition will depend entirely on how long it takes your body to regulate and rid of the synthetics.

My H and I chart, and use back up when necessary and we've had zero scares. There are other methods of BC that don't mess with your body as much. I had to start getting Vit-B shots because the BCP depleated me of vit b completely. It was awful. I don't think anyone could pay me to put another one of those pills in my mouth now.

FWIW, my cycles were normal for about 3 months after I stopped taking it because the hormones were still regulating it, then it started to get wonky. Horribly heavy, brutal cramps, awful pms, and lasted a solid week, but after about 6 months it went back to normal again.

OP get your thyroid checked. You may be hypothyroid.

A delay in getting is back is totally normal.
    Last time I went off, I think it took me 8 months for it to come back. I was starting to wonder if it was early menopause but my doctor assured me it wasn't- she was right.
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.(Churchill)

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzy Lady View Post
    I had to start getting Vit-B shots because the BCP depleated me of vit b completely. It was awful. I don't think anyone could pay me to put another one of those pills in my mouth now.
    Interesting. I've been on BC regularily for about 12 years now. I too am Vit B12 deficient. Not to the point of requiring injections, but I do take a supplement. I'm not a vegetarian (Dads a beef farmer and I get lots of free beef), so lack of B12 in my diet is not the reason. Perhaps the BC is the reason for this? I'm not prepared to go off of BC right now, as I likely have PCOS and cannot risk getting pregnant right now. However, this is something to bring up with my doctor at my next appointment.

Quote Originally Posted by Karosel View Post
    BC is regularily prescribed to women with irregular periods or poly cystic ovary syndrome (PCOS). I know you said you were "checked out" but were you checked for PCOS?

I have irregular periods off the pill and it's borderline whether I have PCOS or not. I have cystic ovaries, but don't meet other common PCOS symptoms (obesity, acne etc - I'm stick thin and have great skin), but I stay on the pill whether in a relationship or not because of the cystic ovaries and irregular periods.
    Ditto. I would suggest a visit with a reproductive endocrinologist. What you describe is suspicious for PCOS

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzy Lady View Post
    My H and I chart, and use back up when necessary and we've had zero scares. There are other methods of BC that don't mess with your body as much. I had to start getting Vit-B shots because the BCP depleated me of vit b completely. It was awful. I don't think anyone could pay me to put another one of those pills in my mouth now.
    How do you know bc pills were the cause of the b12 deficiency? There are many causes.

Default Hijacking just to say ...

Can we be more judicious in our title abbreviations? "Anyone had this problem with BC" -- what? Breast cancer? British Columbia? Border collie?

/rant

P.S., hoping good outcomes for the OP (an abbreviation is easier to parse).

2 members found this post helpful.

I would get a good workup by an OB/GYN and/or endocrinologist, and I would also get off the chemicals. I do miss not having crippling cramps (which is why I was on the Pill--debilitating pain and heavy blood loss) but I get visual migraines, therefore no more hormones.