The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

You write below the quote box, not added in to look like part of the quote, bolded or not
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

Quote Originally Posted by twotrudoc View Post
    You write below the quote box, not added in to look like part of the quote, bolded or not
    Then you need to go through the thousands of posts on this forum where people routinely respond in bold, within the quote...

4 members found this post helpful.

No, I don't. I can, however, ask that you not feel the need to change what I said or make it look like I said something I didn't by inserting your words into mine. It's a pretty common thing on internet forums that you don't change peoples words.
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

For perspective, from the TransEquality website reporting data as May 2009. In answer to the question, How many Transgender people are there in the US? The answer is they don't really know but estimate 1/4 to 1% of the US population.

Carry on.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Quote Originally Posted by fooler View Post
    For perspective, from the TransEquality website reporting data as May 2009. In answer to the question, How many Transgender people are there in the US? The answer is they don't really know but estimate 1/4 to 1% of the US population.

Carry on.
    So the odds of this being a First World daily problem are pretty slim. Night all.

jetsmom, just ignore her. We all know you weren't trying to change what she said.

Quote Originally Posted by twotrudoc View Post
    No, I don't. I can, however, ask that you not feel the need to change what I said or make it look like I said something I didn't by inserting your words into mine. It's a pretty common thing on internet forums that you don't change peoples words.
    I think you're the only one reading it this way. She didn't "change" your words - I understood it perfectly.

BTW - I was simply trying to follow the logic of the point that you were making, which apparently is that being a lesbian doesn't make you make a pass at every female in sight, but apparently having a penis is the issue. I did add a question mark to the end of my sentence as I was trying to clarify your "logic."
    ---
    They're small hearts.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by over the moon View Post
    jetsmom, just ignore her. We all know you weren't trying to change what she said.
    Thanks...I clarified it within the post...

1 members found this post helpful.

Colleen wants to be respected, well she needs to respect that some people may be uncomfortable with the fact that she still has her penis and keep a towel around her waist, especially if there are minors present.
    I have a professional relationship with a transgender FTM, and I can tell you without a doubt that he would be covered up in a locker room (he has has the full procedure done to transform his genitalia) because his parts do not look the same as the other men.
    My daughter (9) is aware of gays and lesbians, we talk about people being different from us all of the time, she understands about people with physical disabilities (we have parariders at my barn) and mental disabilities, I am a pretty open minded person and try to teach her to be as well. She is totally fine with people that don't fit into the "traditional" mold. She is also comfortable with nudity, but we do not live with her father, she has never seen an adult penis and I would prefer that she not see one until she is at least 25, just kidding of course, but I do think it is innappropriate for any transgender person, who has not completed their change, to not cover up and have some modesty in front of children, just as I would not want my daughter to have to watch a stranger use vaginal cream...there is a time and place for modesty for all and it should be exercised when minors are present.

9 members found this post helpful.

This entire conversation reminds me of the South Park episode, "Eek! A Penis!"

As a transgendered MtF, they are female. If they have done all the steps required by law to change the "M" to a "F" on their legal documents, then they should be allowed the same rights as cisgendered people. Even if they are pre-op. BTW: Not all transgendered people choose to undergo operation. They may choose to not change their body because they are afraid of complications of a serious surgery. So some of your opinions are "Pre-op: NO!, Post-op: Ok" then those people who choose not to undergo surgery are screwed from the onset.

The one thing that frustrates me is it's just a penis. A body part. One that every male was born with. Just like every woman is born with a vagina, and every person has ears, hands, and feet. I do not understand this mentality that we must shelter children from ever seeing the genitalia of the opposite sex. It's just a body part, there's nothing "dirty" or "wrong" about it. Trust me, it never hurt anybody. Otherwise the human race would have died out long ago.

For those parents that wish that their girls don't see a penis until they are of an appropriate age, I have some questions: What's the appropriate age? What about sex education where they show what a penis looks like? Will you pull them from sex ed because they might see a penis? Do you shelter your child from ever seeing your dog's penis or your gelding's? Or is it only human penises the problem?

For those that have said, it's okay for a child to see their father's penis because we're family, why is a stranger so different? It's one of many body parts. To me, it's like saying to a child, "You can only look at your parent's nose. Other nose's that belong to strangers are strange. They may disturb my child because they don't look like the noses of the child's parents. We must protect the child from stranger's noses."

11 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by tryintogethere View Post
    Colleen wants to be respected, well she needs to respect that some people may be uncomfortable with the fact that she still has her penis and keep a towel around her waist, especially if there are minors present.
    I have a professional relationship with a transgender FTM, and I can tell you without a doubt that he would be covered up in a locker room (he has has the full procedure done to transform his genitalia) because his parts do not look the same as the other men.
    As far as we can tell from the article, she did this. She was "exposed" when changing her clothes.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by DancingAppy View Post
    The one thing that frustrates me is it's just a penis. A body part. One that every male was born with. Just like every woman is born with a vagina, and every person has ears, hands, and feet. I do not understand this mentality that we must shelter children from ever seeing the genitalia of the opposite sex. It's just a body part, there's nothing "dirty" or "wrong" about it. Trust me, it never hurt anybody. Otherwise the human race would have died out long ago.
    OT, somewhat: by this logic, we need coed locker rooms and bathrooms in general. How is it any different, then, just because the man with the penis is heterosexual?

(Personally, I have no problem either way, but I'm a dancer who's also acted and thanks to dressing rooms and dress try-ons have little/no issues with changing clothes in front of people. But in high school/middle school? I would change in the locker-room bathroom, because high school girls are cruel. I cannot imagine what coed would have been like except 'worse.')

Quote Originally Posted by horsefaerie View Post
    And I fear I have no idea what bedazzling is. I am a country girl!
    Public service announcement: bedazzled vajayjay: It's a Brazilian + rhinestones (or other sparkly things) glued to you for a "dazzling" effect. Not sure if said jewels hold up to chlorine, so you might not see them in a locker room but you never know!

And as an FYI: brazilians don't discriminate- city mouse, country mouse, doesn't matter.

Ps. In this context a Brazilian is a type of wax to remove all or most hair from the nether regions. I guarantee your local salon offers it. Now, waxing for penii & testes & further back is something not always offered in every town but it still is available.
    And the wise, Jack Daniels drinking, slow-truck-driving, veteran TB handler who took "no shit from no hoss Miss L, y'hear," said: "She aint wrapped too tight."

1 members found this post helpful.

having spent most of my life with guys, and having seen a lot of penises, but having graduated from a women's college, I'm pretty liberal about exposure. Heck I worked in Atlanta where exposure, during the day, was a fact of life from men. And we women would use men's restrooms at rock concerns and sports events, because the line to the women's restrooms was too long. And all the men covered up at the urinals when we invaded their space.

However, I understand that a lot of people grew up more modestly, and don't want to see the body parts of "the opposite sex" in public or in communal restrooms or showers.

OUr rule in Atlanta/Fulton County was that if you have the penis, you are male till it is removed. And if you have the artificial vagina, penis being removed and all, you are ready to go into the female bathrooms. Although I will say that when one of my defendants said she didn't want to go to jail because her artificial vagina kept drying up, I did feel a little quesy.

Would I want people with penises showering in with penis-less teens or preteens, NO. And I'm a radical.
    Last edited by cloudyandcallie; Nov. 4, 2012 at 02:53 PM. Reason: typos!

5 members found this post helpful.

You are joking! No, probably you are not. No, eyebrow and lip waxing is about all I know of available here. That said, I doubt they do anything else but I would not have asked. A lifetime ago I got a bikini wax ONCE and never did it again. That was when I lived up nawth. That seriously hurt and left a rather ugly hematoma in an unusual place, defeating the entire purpose. Plus I thought it would be done by the girl I knew and it was done by someone else I had never seen before!

I now live in a rural area of what I consider the edge of the bible belt. I DOUBT they remove hair there or attack bling to it! I love bling but what would be the point? See that is why I don't think they have it here. Heck, some schools won't allow hair feathers!!! In the hair on your head!

I am certainly getting an education on this thread.

Doesn't change my views though.
    “Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.”
    ? Albert Einstein

And just so we know how others feel, a lot of women brought their sons, including preteens, into the women's restrooms in Atlanta. Due to the large number of predatory men who frequented the men's rooms there. And who sat nude from the waist down on toilets in public restrooms. With doors wide open to view. Waiting. The guys in Atlanta were always threatening to use our women's restrooms so that they didn't have to look at those guys when they had to use public restrooms. We women soon got over having young male kids in our restrooms when we came out of stalls. We adjusted our pantyhose without embarrassment. And the young boys learned that safety was more important than embarrassment.

It works both ways.

2 members found this post helpful.

Wow Cloudy! What an unfortunate set of circumstances. Of course I would have no problem whatsoever having young men in the public ladies room anywhere (such as airports or other places where weirdos hang out in the men's room), when accompanied by their Mom or sister or whomever they are with.

Not having children , I can only say that I think a transgender female who inadvertantly exposed her private parts in a locker room might be a shock for a young lady, but it strikes me as a "teachable moment".

An explanation of the situation transgender people are in, would be in order and the less freaking out the better. If the parent freaks out, the child will follow their lead. Granted , it would be easier if this incident hadn't happened, however it has, and dealing with it in a calm manner seems to be a "no brainer".