The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Wayside View Post
    What I don't understand about this example is that a male predator could presumably enter the women's bathroom simply dressed as a woman. No need to bring transgender into it all, since there's no genital checking in order to enter.
    Yes, they could. Which is why young children need to be supervised, and all children should not be left on their own in public places, in addition to being educated about pedophelia, stranger danger etc.
    The difference here, is that the TG person is a known TG person, and not merely a person dressed as a woman to sneak into a woman's locker room. But based on odds, it is far more likely that it is a favorite uncle or family member that is more likely to molest a child than a man dressing as a woman in a public locker room filled with a swim team.

4 members found this post helpful.

Solution: show everybody The Crying Game before they're allowed in the locker room. Then the first time a young lady glances over and sees a penis on Colleen, she won't have that awkward, confused moment.
    \"Non-violence never solved anything.\" C. Montgomery Burns

3 members found this post helpful.

So if I, SLW, a middle aged human in a female body (or for the sake of discussion could be a 25 year old perfect bodied female), decided I was a man and lived that way for 2 years, was not able to afford surgery to change my body; only a haircut and hormone shots, there would be no problem from Colleens supporters if I started using the men's locker room as long as the HS boys weren't in there? Right??

I completely disagree with a non-surgical complete transgender person sharing a locker room with the destination sex for many of the thoughtful reason stated. It's not about pedophiles, it's about common civil decency and appropriateness. The expectation that someone else should bend their reality to accommodate someone else's wants is to deny reality.

And personally, Colleen is wrong to compare her issue with the Civil Rights struggle. She can use the facility, all of it!

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SLW View Post
    So if I, SLW, a middle aged human in a female body (or for the sake of discussion could be a 25 year old perfect bodied female), decided I was a man and lived that way for 2 years, was not able to afford surgery to change my body; only a haircut and hormone shots, there would be no problem from Colleens supporters if I started using the men's locker room as long as the HS boys weren't in there? Right??
    I would be perfectly fine with you using the male locker room even when the HS boys were in there.

I counted the post ratings I have had on my post here. There are a total of 50 ratings, all anonymous. 40 were good, 10 were bad. So, an overwhelming majority agree, 75%. I did screen snip/shot the page for verification, by the way, before any "creative Chicago vote counting" gets accused .

We have a loud and vociferous minority that are for Colleen letting it all hang out in female locker rooms and a quietly but influential voting majority against.
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by fooler View Post
    So am wondering how often are there small kids through adults showering and changing in a locker room. Seems to me that the kidlets would play and leave at a scheduled time to be followed by older kids, then adults. Am thinking after school for kids as opposed to after work for adults.
    Plus if kids are making use of a HS facility or a college facility would it not make common sense to schedule everyone at different times?
    Ya, no.

This is a single rec center that contains the following: pool, climbing gym, aerobic room, dance rooms, weight rooms, racquetball courts, and other work-out rooms/set-ups.

As a college facility, it has group fitness classes running from morning to late evening, since college isn't exactly the x-y timing that HS is.

Any of the adult members can at any point be attending a fitness class or using any of the fitness rooms outside of the pool the HS club has rented for its hour or 2. And they might want to change/shower too. The facility mentions only 2 locker rooms, and one might be the smaller room (without the sauna) that the swim team was eventually relegated to, so it's not like they have a plethora of locker rooms to endlessly segregate by small increases in age ranges, or to ban adults from during certain hours.

And I still have never come across a minors-only change room, ever. Unless it was in a facility used only by minors, like in a middle or HS. Seriously, I go to the Y, I've been to other similar public-access rec centers - they all have M/F change rooms, but not adult/child.

Quote Originally Posted by twotrudoc View Post
    I counted the post ratings I have had on my post here. There are a total of 50 ratings, all anonymous. 40 were good, 10 were bad. So, an overwhelming majority agree, 75%. I did screen snip/shot the page for verification, by the way, before any "creative Chicago vote counting" gets accused .

We have a loud and vociferous minority that are for Colleen letting it all hang out in female locker rooms and a quietly but influential voting majority against.
    Ummm.

As a member of the "vocal minority" (who thinks genitals should be covered in a freaking sauna regardless of whether Colleen is there or not, but believes that she is entitled to use the female facilities), my posts in this thread are also overwhelmingly positive with the thumb thing.

People might be reacting to one sentence in your post with a thumb, not voting yay/nay on Colleen overall. Hell, one poster had a post comprised solely of the word "how" or something like that thumbs-downed - come on, which way was that person voting?

If you want to know how a vote would pan out, make a voting post instead of misrepresenting what the thumbs feature means.

5 members found this post helpful.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

I'm a a sort of dinosaur in my opinions, but I have no problem with men and women using the same facilities, gender assignment and sexual preferences be damned, whether it be saunas or bathrooms or spas, as long as the genitals are not exposed. Boobs don't count to me as genitals. Maybe this is prudish from the some points of view (Germany), but the US is a prudish culture. I will say that I prefer not to use the male bathrooms in public places, although I've been known to do it in emergencies, because they usually STINK. But coed facilities are okay with me if the genitals aren't exposed.

Facilities should be built with stalls in changing rooms and toilets. That way the modest can use them but immodest don't have to.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by Coanteen View Post
    As a member of the "vocal minority" (who thinks genitals should be covered in a freaking sauna regardless of whether Colleen is there or not, but believes that she is entitled to use the female facilities), my posts in this thread are also overwhelmingly positive with the thumb thing.
    Yeah, mine are running about 75% positive as well, so I think that people are just more inclined to use the thumbs up than thumbs down. Personally, I'm not using the thumbs down for things I just don't agree with - I save it for the things that I find truly offensive or moronic.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

Actually, you only have four posts that have a majority of positive post ratings-and two of the four are posts that are education oriented, not opinion oriented about the topic. We can all agree on most fact anyway. So, no, you have not had any sort of overwhelmingly positive response to your opinions whatsoever.
    The Knotted Pony

I haven't used the thumbs yet at all, too busy counting them. I did accidentally hit thumbs down on my phone on the thread about thumbs last night though. *ooops*
    The Knotted Pony

Actually, you only have four posts that have a majority of positive post ratings-and two of the four are posts that are education oriented, not opinion oriented about the topic. We can all agree on most fact anyway. So, no, you have not had any sort of overwhelmingly positive response to your opinions whatsoever.
    LOL, what's truly interesting is the sudden influx of down-ratings within 10 min of posting the reply you're replying to now. If that lets you know anything about the validity of thumbs as a method of voting.

Seriously, do a voting post. My feeling here is that you didn't get the reply-consensus you were looking for and are now using the thumb feature to say "the lurkers support me in email", essentially. It is funny in an "that shit went out decades ago" kinda way.

Actually, I wasn't looking for a reply consensus but a response from others. The threads about the thumbs up or down gave me the idea of assessing percentages. As far as your assertion that I was saying "lurkers support me in email" or some such nonsense, that is why I took a screen snip So don't try and insert dishonesty, it shows lack of integrity!

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/im...HQntRRQB//2Q==

I made the poll! Go vote!
    The Knotted Pony

Quote Originally Posted by horsefaerie View Post
    Manners and boundaries allowed for people to live in close proximity without killing each other. Respecting boundaries makes for more peace than expecting legislation to make everything ok for those who are different and what they choose to DEMAND from others.
    Yes, this.
    "Things should be as simple as possible,
    but no simpler." - Einstein

“So what’s up with years of lessons? You still can’t ride a damn horse?!”

The land of heat waves and unbearable humidity

Quote Originally Posted by darkmoonlady View Post
    My goodness next thing you know, coed dorms and blacks and whites living in harmony. Get over it, the future is inclusiveness and equality. I'd rather they be safe in the women's locker room than have them beaten to death by bullies in the boys locker room. And btw they aren't minors, if they're in college..
    How about those boys learn to be tolerant and allow said Woman with man bits shower in the boys locker room?
    Women can bully too you know.
    "Common sense is so rare nowadays, it should be classified as a super power."-Craig Bear Laubscher

IMO it is so inaccurate to say that the thumbs is a valid method of whether someone disagrees with you...
    Theoretically, you could have someone rate "up" on their main account, their alter, and their SS elf account... so then you'd have 3 "ups" but all from the same person.

I just think it's a totally inaccurate way to judge whether people support your POV.
    Proud member of the COTH Junior (and Junior-at-Heart!) clique!

That's why I didn't mention it until after I counted. And now any new count is invalid for the reasons you mentioned.

But the count shows that 75% approved of or "liked" my post. Numbers are numbers, mah dear. But go "think" whatever you like LOL!!
    Last edited by twotrudoc; Nov. 3, 2012 at 01:22 PM. Reason: spelling
    The Knotted Pony

But the count shows that 75% approved of or "liked" my post. Numbers are numbers, mah dear. But go "think" whatever you like LOL!!
    But...maybe those people haven't even read this 9-page-long thread, and everyone else's discussions. They just read your first post and 'liked' it and left without maybe even reading the article.

Plus, that 75% still leaves 25% to disagree.
    Proud member of the COTH Junior (and Junior-at-Heart!) clique!

Quote Originally Posted by SLW View Post

I completely disagree with a non-surgical complete transgender person sharing a locker room with the destination sex for many of the thoughtful reason stated. It's not about pedophiles, it's about common civil decency and appropriateness. The expectation that someone else should bend their reality to accommodate someone else's wants is to deny reality.

And personally, Colleen is wrong to compare her issue with the Civil Rights struggle. She can use the facility, all of it!
    Interestingly, sometimes the hormone therapy can cause the clitoris to grow very large, so that it almost appears/functions like a small penis. So you might be excluded from the women's locker room AND the men's!

I think Colleen should be able to use the women's room.
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

using the thumbs down/up indicator as some kind of broad assessment of how many people agree with you is simply misguided
    This feature just showed up - from other threads, it appears people including myself tend to not use the thumbs down because the anonymous "I disapprove" thing is somewhat distasteful- I would be willing to bet that the vast majority of people who either disagree or agree with a post, think that thought and move on without doing anything and those that fell strongly are the ones who actually post something and not click a thumb and move on
    More indicative are the substantive posts- which go both ways and are in no way overwhelmingly agreeing with you
    but hey if you want to use the thumbs up thing as a personal affirmation regardless of its accuracy, go for it
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.(Churchill)