The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone else a fan of Homeland?

Our family recently finished a "Marathon RE-watching" of the entire 8 seasons of "24" (what an emotional ordeal! , so after (regretfully) saying goodbye to Jack Bauer and Co., we moved on to Homeland.

Finished the first season, and are now up to date on Season 2...

Clair Danes is phenomenal in her role as Carrie Mathison (as usual, one would expect nothing less from the woman, she inhabits the characters she plays!), and the supporting players are almost as good--though she sets the bar high.

I just found out (from my daughter, searching the web) that both Damien Lewis: Sgt. Brody, AND David Harewood--who plays the often exasperating David Estes--are BRITS! :-O

DD found some interviews of them online, and wow, after listening to their true accents--I now give them additional props for their work in Homeland. (I watched Damien Lewis in Band of Brothers, and my husband has watched that series so many times that he's having trouble separating the actor from his character in that series, but he's adapting...)

So, any other fans of the show out there? And what about fans of "24"? Apparently the producers of Homeland also produced 24 (I guess they are fans of the "genre de terroriste"
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

2 members found this post helpful.

Love. Love. Love it.

Probably my favorite show on television.

The entire cast is phenomenal.

(Also fun fact: Mandy Patinkin was Inigo Montoya on The Princess Bride )
    *The Quietman ~ Irish Approved Gr.1 Stallion
    www.windyislesfarms.com
    Like Us on Facebook

Completely addicted, great show.

LOOOOOOVVEEEEE ITTTTTTTT!

I've been a Claire Danes fan since My So Called Life = my favorite show of all time!!!!
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

It is also a show that constantly surprises (shocks!) me. So many episodes I wonder at the end, 'where can they go from here?'
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

1 members found this post helpful.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

I was a total fan of Damien Lewis in "Life" (and one of the few, since it was cancelled after one season, I guess), and thank you for reminding me about Homeland - I'm assembling a list of TV for amusement with an upcoming surgery that should sideline me for a while (or at least keep me out of the tack).
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Life was two seasons and I have been watching Homeland since the first episode. I keep track of all the little bits and pieces because it really is a show that you would best watch in a marathon sitting and it's one of the rare shows I actually watch with my mother, believe it or not.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

1 members found this post helpful.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

oops, two seasons, but too short! It totally ended on a cliffhanger...
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Love it! Can't wait for the next episode.

awesome show. Its so tensely written. Also, I like that the show doesn't go in the direction I think its going to go. Like I didn't see Brody's lies being uncovered so soon into season 2. I knew it had to happen (because how long can that story line drag on?) but man...only a couple episodes in?

Also, who here thinks that things with Brody and Carrie might start up again? Do you think the writers will take it there?

Oh, and I too will always see Damien Lewis as Sgt Winters from Band of Brothers. Its the first thing I ever saw him in (and I loved the character), so it will stick with me forever.

Watch him in Dreamcatcher. His best performance ever.

Love it. Love both the leads.

Damian Lewis was also amazing as the very uptight Soames Forsyte in Masterpiece's 2002 production of The Forsyte Saga.

Practicing his barely controlled rage.
    Only part of me worries...the other part doesn't believe in it.
    Wings of Desire

Quote Originally Posted by KateKat View Post
    Also, I like that the show doesn't go in the direction I think its going to go. Like I didn't see Brody's lies being uncovered so soon into season 2. I knew it had to happen (because how long can that story line drag on?) but man...only a couple episodes in?
    I know, no kidding! That's the great thing about non-network TV, I feel like they're not forced inside a box in order to not piss off viewers - all comes back to $$ and commercials.

Quote Originally Posted by KateKat View Post
    Also, who here thinks that things with Brody and Carrie might start up again? Do you think the writers will take it there?
    I was thinking they probably will. But now they'll go and prove me wrong. The season preview kind of alluded to that idea, with Carrie going to his hotel room, but the situation obviously didn't pan out quite like that. But I don't have a clue how they could start them up again the way things are at the moment - I haven't seen the episode from last Sunday yet. That's exactly what this show does, though! Takes things in crazy directions, and quickly, and makes it work.

oh man...so who watched last night??

I did. Great episode. Totally wasn't expecting the terrorists to have the tailor shop bugged for A/V and I bet there is some nasty WMD stuff in that box they took out of the wall. Probably something biological.

I know, what a shock! Also, did you catch how Carrie said she lost 7 agents, but then afterwards someone else said 6? I really hope that means the rude CIA guy that stabbed Brody's hand survived.

So my next question is when the daughter is going to crack. Next episode previews made it seem like the mom was told and was keeping it underwraps, but you never know.

Yeah, he did survive. He got up after playing dead but was in a lot of pain because of his wounds. He's gonna be the one between Carrie and Brody trying to keep her in check and focused on the objectives.

I did see that, but also saw he had a wound to the abdomen and in his talk with the other guy, the backup SWAT was an hour out. So I figured his fate was probably up in the air, unless he was able to place a call to someone to come get him sooner than that (like local law enforcement)

I definitely think the agent survived. I LOVE this show. My husband said it reminds him a lot of 24.

Homeland is unbelievably riveting. So many of these series, and I'm a real fan of Breaking Bad and of Downton Abbey, wander a bit (as those 2 do, but love 'em anyway), but this one so stays on track.

I love the Carrie character. She is so compelling, and the whole thing (in the last episode or so), where she and Brody are at the hotel bar and -- tell me if I'm getting this right -- he lets on that he 'conspired' to get her committed so as to get her credibility tainted and protect himself against anything she might intuit, then prove, about him? If this is what transpired, then it means that Brody and she are playing cat and mouse, and are on to each other's deceptions??

Anyhow, we are g-l-u-e-d when it is on, and genuinely sad when it's over and we have to wait a whole week for the next.