The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    I was reading this thinking the same thing. She was explosive and dangerous and I got HELL for putting her down. You did the right thing OP. I fought to put my filly down, and felt and overwhelming sense of relief once she was buried on the farm. A little different in that I bred her and ultimately had the responsibility for putting her on this Earth, but I was going to ensure she didn't live a life of confusion, terror and with the constant threat to human safety. So sorry you had to have this experience but you have my respect for doing the right thing in the end.
    Thank you Snowflake. I am sorry about what you went through. It must have been that much harder having bred her. It is easy for people to judge unless they are in your shoes, and the judgment would have made it that much more difficult.
    Thank you for the last sentence you wrote, but I don't know if I deserve it. I was trying to find any reason to save her because I didn't want to take her life. In the end, what "swayed" me was the fact that I rent pasture from two difference wonderful people and I didn't want either of them to face a liability suit in the future. If it had just been me, I probably would have backed out, which would have been the wrong decision. People could sue me and get nothing LOL. But thank you for writing that. Again, so sorry about your filly.

Quote Originally Posted by RedMare01 View Post
    We do dressage, but nowadays, due to my schedule and her age (almost 19), she's pretty much semi-retired and spends most of her time planning world domination, rolling in mud, and bossing her two pony friends around.

The lady I bought her from (14 years ago), raised ASBs and grew alfalfa hay. They all ate alfalfa and sweet feed pretty much exclusively. I personally prefer grass hay and non-sweet feed, but none of her horses, or other ASBs at the various barns I trained and boarded at back in our Saddleseat days, seemed to have any big issue with alfalfa either. These days, she gets grass hay, but I add a pound or so of alfalfa pellets to her TC Senior for extra calories and calcium.
    Sounds like she is enjoying her life :-) What is her breeding?
    What I have found with a lot of Saddlebreds is that they seem to be ok on alfalfa, perhaps a little more spooky, but it is when they are stressed that you really see the difference in their reactions, which are way over the top. Others, like my gelding and the chaffhaye, become stressed over nothing and show it immediately.
    Years ago, I bought a Harlem Globetrotter gelding at Tattersalls. He was wonderful to handle, and I had been feeding him grass hay there. Because alfalfa was also available, I decided to give him a small amount of alfalfa as a treat. That was a mistake. Tried leading him out of his stall and his eyes were INSANE. He was literally cantering in a circle around me and almost over me. A friend who was watching thought I was about to be run over (while also thinking that she was glad the horse she bought wasn't crazy :-). Sadly, it took until the second time I gave him a little alfalfa as a treat to connect the dots, since he became crazy that time as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue broke View Post

Your opinions are just that: opinions. They are not universal truths and even if they were, there is no excuse for being so nasty. There are many vets who believe that vaccines are causing auto-immune diseases, cancer and seizures in dogs. That is not "fluffery".
    I never said there was no connection between vaccines and auto-immune disease.
    I did call BS on your gross overstatements that

The main cause of health issues in dogs and cats are vaccines
    most cancers, auto-immune diseases and seizures are caused by vaccines
    Most vets refuse to believe even overwhelming evidence that vaccines are the cause of tumors
    If you can't act like a civilized human being, then please don't bother to comment. I counseled many victims who lived with sharp-tongued people. Please try to become more polite for the sake of those around you.
    You get to dictate the tenor of your own posts.
    If you post on a public bb, you need to expect that there will be those who feel differently that you.
    You do not get to dictate the tone or contents of anyone else's posts.

If you find it too harsh, I suggest you stick to the myriad of bb's where anything other than the breathless oohs and ahhs over airbrushed unicorns are deleted.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

12 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghazzu View Post
    If you post on a public bb, you need to expect that there will be those who feel differently that you.
    You do not get to dictate the tone or contents of anyone else's posts.

If you find it too harsh, I suggest you stick to the myriad of bb's where anything other than the breathless oohs and ahhs over airbrushed unicorns are deleted.
    I certainly do expect other people to have opinions. There is a civil way to express an opinion and a belittling way. You have the belittling way down to an art form.

Your views could be considered "fluffery", since there is plenty of evidence to back up my statements (which are from educated, enlightened, out-of-the-box veterinarians.)

I truly do feel sorry for those in your inner circle, as people like you leave a lot of damage in their wake. Please, for the sake of others, learn how to disagree without coming across as a pompous, condescending know-it-all.

3 members found this post helpful.

Unless I am mistaken, Ghazzu *is* a vet?!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    Yeah but apparently not educated, enlightened or out of the box. Greenie's good will is wearing thin.

8 members found this post helpful.

OP -- are you looking for confirmation that you did the right thing by euthanizing a horse that was a danger to itself and everyone around it? I think the majority of people on here can agree that you did the right thing.

Or are you looking for us to agree with you that the most likely cause of the horse's behavior problems was some sort of vaccine-induced psychosis? That is a whole 'nother can of worms.

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Sticky Situation View Post
    OP -- are you looking for confirmation that you did the right thing by euthanizing a horse that was a danger to itself and everyone around it? I think the majority of people on here can agree that you did the right thing.

Or are you looking for us to agree with you that the most likely cause of the horse's behavior problems was some sort of vaccine-induced psychosis? That is a whole 'nother can of worms.
    The former, not the latter. I am not looking for anyone to agree with my concern about the rabies vaccine. However, there is a healthy way to disagree or express another opinion and a nasty way. There are plenty who have disagreed with me on this forum without being belittling.
    If people's experiences are different than mine, fine, but don't denigrate my experiences or my knowledge. That is all I am saying.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    So is my oldest friend. Like many vets, my friend also has a closed-mind when it comes to vaccine issues. In spite of many unexplained "coincidences" between vaccinating and new, unexplained health problems, she refuses to consider that there is is a connection. Hence, as is the case with many vets, she has reported zero vaccine reactions. Also, like many vets, she continues to vaccinate unhealthy animals, which is not recommend by the vaccine manufacturers.

OP, I have never seen Ghazzu be rude to anyone by any stretch of the imagination. I think you are the rude one and way over the top in your attacks.

And as to your description of what occurred with this horse and the horse made crazy by a rabies shot...I'm not sure what to think of all that. No doubt something went down, not exactly sure what. And no, I do not want all your phone numbers and email of people whop can provide evidence. I stopped listening as soon as you went off the rails with your anger in the previous posts.

9 members found this post helpful.

I'm going to have to disagree ...

To date, most reports of the would-be dangers of vaccination (aside from minor, temporary reactions), in both veterinary or human medicine, are purely anecdotal ...

While I agree that there should be ongoing research into the long-term effects of vaccination, I am not at all convinced that we would be better off going back to the days of Old Yeller.

8 members found this post helpful.

So is my oldest friend. Like many vets, my friend also has a closed-mind when it comes to vaccine issues. In spite of many unexplained "coincidences" between vaccinating and new, unexplained health problems, she refuses to consider that there is is a connection. Hence, as is the case with many vets, she has reported zero vaccine reactions. Also, like many vets, she continues to vaccinate unhealthy animals, which is not recommend by the vaccine manufacturers.
    I am not sure you are right about who here has a closed mind.

Millions of vaccines and billions of horses on alfalfa can clearly show you that you are barking up the wrong tree when you are trying to find cause and effect to your crazy acting horses in those.

Open your mind that there maybe is other happening there, since no one else has those problems, not vaccinating and not on alfalfa.

That would help your horses more than keeping them unvaccinated or avoiding alfalfa.

Ghazzu is someone you should be listening to, as you are getting an educated opinion there.

13 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Sticky Situation View Post
    Sorry, double post -- not sure what happened there -- Mods, please delete!!
    You can delete the double post yourself thru the edit feature.

There seems to be a glitch with the new system this afternoon and it is producing occasional double posts.

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm kind of surprised here. A lot of people are falling for this story!

I don't believe a word of it.
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    You can delete the double post yourself thru the edit feature.

There seems to be a glitch with the new system this afternoon and it is producing occasional double posts.
    Thanks for pointing that out!

Quote Originally Posted by SAcres View Post
    Running through 1, 2, even 3 fences I could believe, but how does a horse run through 11 fences? HOW? Also, a metal gate really? I could see a horse running into it, jumping it, or flipping over it, but just plowing right through it? I think not.
    And let's not forget that was after a 2 hour fight to load the thing and a 26-hour trailer ride. Holy SuperHorse!
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by saultgirl View Post
    And let's not forget that was after a 2 hour fight to load the thing and a 26-hour trailer ride. Holy SuperHorse!
    You made it farther in than I did, the 751 rescued dogs had me scratching my head.

10 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Open your mind that there maybe is other happening there, since no one else has those problems, not vaccinating and not on alfalfa.

That would help your horses more than keeping them unvaccinated or avoiding alfalfa.

Ghazzu is someone you should be listening to, as you are getting an educated opinion there.
    Bluey, there are plenty of people who can't feed alfalfa because it adversely affects their horses. I am far from the only person who has ever experienced that. Also, there are other people who horses have reacted to the rabies vaccine with bizarre behavior. That is how I learned that "erratic behavior, "visual disturbances", and "lack of appetite" have been seen after the rabies vaccine. The information is out there. Do I know the rabies vaccine caused this? No. I never said that it was the definite cause. It is one of several potential causes. So my mind isn't closed in the least. If other people feed alfalfa without problems, I am happy for them. I wish I could feed it--it is more economical here. However, I have not had a good experience with it and just because you don't know anyone who can't feed it doesn't mean it hasn't affected my horses.
    I have already spoken to my traditional vet, whose opinion I respect, about this, as well as a holistic vet.

1 members found this post helpful.

I want to thank the people who have shared info and appreciate their kindness. It was helpful, but sad, to hear of others tragic experiences.

If anyone has anything helpful to share, please contact me privately as I am done with this forum. The jackals are coming out of the den, and I am not going to defend, explain or prove any longer.
    Best wishes, and again, thank you to all who shared and to the many who were kind.

2 members found this post helpful.

If anyone has anything helpful to share, please contact me privately as I am done with this forum.
    Helpful for what? Except for being sorry for you and offer their sympathies, what helpful advice could people share with you? Isn't the horse dead?
    Why do you want random people to contact you?

9 members found this post helpful.