The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

When we got our twh the first day he didn't see a fence at the place we boarded at the time. Walked him around all of it but for some reason he didn't see it the time he ran into it. He slammed the horse wire fence and did a somersault over it landed on his neck first and went to his back from there. He got up stunned and walked away from it. Scared the crap out of us but he was fine. Luckily it was a fluke thing and he was still young and a little dumb lol. He has been a great horse, but the moral is that if a horse runs through fencing it doesn't always mean they are going to kill themselves. Op, sounds like you did what you had to do and I don't blame you one bit. Sorry for you and for the poor horse but IMO there was no other option.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

What a nightmare. Add my voice to the many that believe you did the right thing.

Has anyone mentioned locoweed as a possible cause?

You poor thing! You are a wonderful person to have given her such a chance.
    There was obviously something very wrong mentally with her, and you did all you could. Do not feel guilty. What an awful experience!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Rescue broke, check your PMs

OP, so sorry you had to go through this... how heartbreaking. You did the right thing though, because eventually someone was going to get very hurt.

I have only seen one horse like this ever, and it was a horse I used to ride regularly. IIRC, she was under 10. She was being used in a lesson program in fact. She started acting funky and eventually only more advanced riders were allowed to get on her. She started doing really weird things, like running through jumps instead of jumping them. The odd thing is that one day she would be totally normal and the next day she would be nervous and agitated, and she would run into things. I recall a vet had come out to look at her, and I was told that they couldn't find anything obviously wrong.
    One time when "the herd" (of about 8) was let in through one gate to come into a smaller paddock near the barn for feeding she ran through the fence next to the OPEN gate. She ran into the side of the barn. She took out a metal gate once too. As in TOOK OUT, ripped right off the post (ripped the hooks right out of the wood and mangled the gate) and somehow managed to only get minor bumps. On a trip to the vet hospital for some tests (don't know what kind, I was like 15 at the time) she had a major panic attack in the trailer and ended up being put down en route. I don't think a necropsy was ever done, but I do remember the BO said the vet suggested a brain tumor of some sort could have been pressing on visual areas of the brain and it could come and go the way described. That, anyway, is my best recollection, some 30 years later.

As for running through 11 fences being unbelievable, heck a crazy horse could run through 11 fences and six gates on my 2-horse farmette, I mean the fences are all connected but it's conceivable to do it.

I'm curious why a vet would say a brain tumor in a young horse is unlikely... are horses different than people? Brain tumors are actually pretty common (as far as problems like that go) in young children, I've unfortunately known a few children that have battled with them. I would imagine the same would be true for horses.

Quote Originally Posted by SAcres View Post
    What the fruitbat? Am I the only one who doesn't believe the OP's story? OP has 4 posts...I think someone is trolling.

I can't imagine a horse would run through 11 fence lines and flip over 6 times and walk away... So I called the OP out. Not a crazy thing to do IMO. I've seen my share of crazy horses but never one like this, so I'm calling bull. Threads have turned into trainwrecks over less.
    I have to agree. Although the OP seems compelling, I doubt the events are actually as dramatic as described. Some version of this probably did happen, but I can't imagine the horse going through so many fence lines and flipping over so many times, and still being able to walk away.

However, OP, you did what you had to do and no one can blame you for that!

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue broke View Post
    I just got off the phone with the holistic vet and he said that a brain tumor was extremely unlikely in a horse that young. He had never heard of the rabies vaccine making a horse's behavior be that extreme. He did say that the encephalitis form of Rhino could do that to a horse.
    The neurologic form of EHV-1 causes weakness and ataxia. In other words, the filly would be down, not running through a multitude of barricades.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghazzu View Post
    The neurologic form of EHV-1 causes weakness and ataxia. In other words, the filly would be down, not running through a multitude of barricades.
    I was thinking about that and liver toxicity from any source also would have tended to cause incoordination, not running and keep running around like that.

Sounds like some other reason with a focal point could do that, like a tumor pressing on certain brain structures could.

An Holistic vet?

I think there is something wrong(not clear) about the OP and the rabbies vaccines.

Why is the need to ask people to send you PMs for the 'full story and details'?

If it walks like a troll and act like a troll...

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by oliverreed View Post
    No necropsy because horse was shot in the head. Humanely. No vet would come out and horse was mortally injured.
    Carcasses don't go off THAT fast. Cover it with a tarp and they'll come out for a dead one to get samples. The vets wouldn't come from the sound of it because they had no desire to get injured handling a crazy horse.

OP, sorry, but I would get a real vet, not a "holistic" vet. Unless a horse had an allergy to the solution it's in, a rabies vaccine cannot 'make them crazy', regardless of what you think you experienced with the other one, and no little pills would just fix it (though they might tranquilize a horse.) All it does is make sure they don't get a guaranteed-fatal illness. There are far more likely things (including a brain tumor. Heck, EPM--old OTTB once jumped a fence, another time he nearly came down on the farrier when he had a panic fit. Said farrier never came back, rather like the vets you describe. He eventually died of a seizure, not crashing through things, though I could see it being possible early on when he'd go from "normal" to "insane" without warning.)

OP, I am sorry you had to deal with this.
    It reminded me of the story of Snowflake's filly
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...ness-in-Horses

Same behaviour, same outcome.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by alibi_18 View Post
    An Holistic vet?

I think there is something wrong(not clear) about the OP and the rabbies vaccines.

Why is the need to ask people to send you PMs for the 'full story and details'?

If it walks like a troll and act like a troll...
    If you read my posts, I ask people to PM me if they want contact info for witnesses to this tragedy. The woman who lives next to the barn saw the entire thing from the moment this filly came off the trailer and will confirm that she went through 11 fences and somersaulted at least 6 times.

Not once did I ask people to PM me for the "full story and details". The full story has been shared on this forum.

Just because you don't want to believe something is true, doesn't mean that it isn't. It is really rude to call someone a liar, especially when that person is more than willing to provide contact info for witnesses. I am not willing to post their names and phone numbers on a public forum.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by FalseImpression View Post
    OP, I am sorry you had to deal with this.
    It reminded me of the story of Snowflake's filly
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...ness-in-Horses

Same behaviour, same outcome.
    I am so sorry about Snowflake.

Quote Originally Posted by oldpony66 View Post
    I'm curious why a vet would say a brain tumor in a young horse is unlikely... are horses different than people? Brain tumors are actually pretty common (as far as problems like that go) in young children, I've unfortunately known a few children that have battled with them. I would imagine the same would be true for horses.
    What you write is sadly true. I don't dismiss that a brain tumor was possible. It certainly makes more sense than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    Has anyone mentioned locoweed as a possible cause?
    The vet did mention locoweed as a possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post

OP, sorry, but I would get a real vet, not a "holistic" vet. Unless a horse had an allergy to the solution it's in, a rabies vaccine cannot 'make them crazy', regardless of what you think you experienced with the other
    danceronice, the rabies vaccine can cause erratic behavior, visual disturbances, and lack of appetite in horses. The term is called "vaccinosis". This filly did have a poor appetite. She would start to eat hay, pasture, carrots, etc and then turn away after a couple of bites, almost as if nothing tasted pleasant to her.

Holistic vets are "real" vets. They have been to vet school and broadened their education to include more natural treatments.
    Please try to come across less dictatorial. Just because you haven't experienced something or don't know about it, doesn't mean that it isn't true. The main cause of health issues in dogs and cats are vaccines, and it stands to reason that they can cause harm to horses. My prior statement has been written by veterinarians. Vaccines have their place, but they are not harmless.
    Last edited by Rescue broke; Nov. 3, 2012 at 10:06 AM.

I am so very sorry. I commend you for doing what sounds like the most responsible thing you could have done under the circumstances. Know that you have given that poor filly the peace it seems she could have never had on this earth and take comfort from that. :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue broke View Post
    The vet did mention locoweed as a possibility.
    Loco weed is a problem here and some springs there are a few animals affected, mostly cattle, some horses, so we are very familiar with it.

Locoed horses may go thru one fence, but they are so impaired they can't get very far very fast.
    In fact, if they attack you, as some may attack anything that moves, they are so uncoordinated you can step to the side and avoid them and if bad enough, they then fall down.
    Most stand there braced, shaking and wobbling like they can't figure which way is up.
    Not at all the picture you paint of a horse going and going and going.

I would look for another type toxicity, if that is what your vet was thinking.

I am sorry you had to go through this. And what a sad disappointment to find your gift horse to be unable to live a normal life I am currently facing my own dilemma. About a year ago I offered to help the rescue organization for the breed I am heavily involved in by housing one of the mares they had to take over in a small herd. The filly was weaned as soon as she arrived here at the farm, at three years old. It was already known that she is 'issues' and is not normal. With correct and consistent handling she is not so much better and still prone to random and spontaneous fits of rearing so sudden that she hits her head on the rafter of the barn! The farrier I use who has worked an many, many challenging rescue horses over the years deemed this horse as dangerous and this is a first coming from his mouth. She is turned out with two other mares, one my yearling, and has recently taken to galloping across to pasture towards her yearling buddy and then suddenly changing her attitude and viciously biting her all over the neck and shoulder. The rescue organization thought about having her spayed. But I can't see that happening as it costs a lot of money. She might not ever be rideable because her brain does not function normally so training is almost a joke. Anything you do with her is almost taking your life into your own hands. And she is certainly not a good pasture companion! I had originally agreed to house the horse for a period of time, up to a year, for rehab purposes but then she was to go on to her home. At the year's end I contacted the group and they acted as if they thought I was her permanent home! It was outlined clearly on the adoption form otherwise! The only realistic solution I see for this dangerous horse is to euthanize. I feel like I almost refuse to pass such a dangerous horse on to another person to most likely be injured by her. She technically is property of the rescue, who clearly is not so interested in finding her another home...at least so far as I know. All of my letters to the group have gotten no response. I can't see them agreeing to having her euthanized either because such a big stink was made about preserving her 'rare' bloodlines. Well, to me this is not so critical as her mother is still out there and she has siblings, none of which are insane as far as I am aware. SIGH...
    Horses don't lie.

"Vaccinosis" has not been shown to be a real entity.
    While vaccines certainly have adverse effects, I don't belive there is any valid evidence that rabies vaccine causes insanity.

The main cause of health issues in dogs and cats are vaccines
    And *that* is BS, statistically speaking.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

3 members found this post helpful.