The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Waterproof warm tall boot rec'd

Since moving to the PacNW from VA, not only am I freezing but I'm soaked, freezing and my feet are blue. Any recommendations for waterproof warm riding boots? I saw some new neoprene Hunter brand riding Wellies that looked promising. Alas, no one in the US seems to have them and I can't find the calf measurements (need a wide calf).

seems like most winter boots aren't waterproof and the waterproof boots aren't warm or rideable. not even going to mention the fugly factor or that I've held out on buying winter boots in favor of toe warmers & 2 boot changes a ride umpteen years.
    And the wise, Jack Daniels drinking, slow-truck-driving, veteran TB handler who took "no shit from no hoss Miss L, y'hear," said: "She aint wrapped too tight."

So, being from your neck of the woods, but on t'other side of the border, I'm familiar with your woes. I wear BOGS or Muck boots around the barn/farm/chores, and have a pair of Ariat Bromonts [Thinsulate-lined + waterproof leather] for riding in and 1/2 chaps. Alternatively, I have my regular [summer] Ariats that I put a pair of rubber overshoes on to ride in. My feet stay quite warm in my BOGS with just regular socks, but if I know I'm going to be standing around for any length of time, I'll put on wool socks or have those feet warmers handy. My toes stay toasty with them in for hours. I haven't had a problem with cold feet when riding, but if it's a possibility then I'll make use of the warmers again.
    Hope that helps!!
    Saw you're concerned about calf-width. My BOGS fit fine, and I take a wide callf in my tall boots, too, so you should be fine.
    Another owner of A Fine Romance baby who has grown up and joined the fun!!!

Thanks for the info from a northern neighbor I'd thought about the bromonts but id rather not spend more than $200, esp since I already have a collection of field and dress boots.

Do you ever wear your bogs and half chaps?
    And the wise, Jack Daniels drinking, slow-truck-driving, veteran TB handler who took "no shit from no hoss Miss L, y'hear," said: "She aint wrapped too tight."

I have the Blundstone Winters and LOVE them. Match them with a set of ski socks and half chaps and you're good to go. We've already had our -15C (5F?) snow storm weather and feet have stayed dry and warm and I'm at the barn 8+hrs a day.

When I lived in the pacific northwest I rode in ariat winter paddock boots & 1/2 chaps. I waterproofed the crap out of them at the start of the wet season, using spray on Kiwi waterproofing stuff. In Oregon you could find it in the shoe polish area of any supermarket or drugstore. Around the barn but not riding I wore muck boot company rubber boots. They worked great unless (a) I stepped in mud deeper than the mid-calf height boots, or (b) a boot got sucked off in the mud while wading through the pasture, and I fell on my butt in cold, deep mud. There are some things I don't miss at all about OR.

Quote Originally Posted by La Chasse View Post

Do you ever wear your bogs and half chaps?
    I tried it ONCE, at a walk, for about 5 minutes. It felt so unsafe I couldn't bring myself to try it again with normal stirrups.

However, I do know of someone who used to ride all winter with western stirrups, the wooden ones. If you could find the type with the covers on the front so your foot didn't slide through that might be an option...
    Another owner of A Fine Romance baby who has grown up and joined the fun!!!

Minnesotan here. I recommend the Dafna Blizzard. They are really inexpensive, have great grip on the sole (so I am less likely to fall on my butt), and the lower part is covered in rubber, so no water in my toes (not waterproof all the way up, though, which is fine for me in winter). I have found them warmer than the Mtn Horse boots.

They even come in my giant size (11) & the calf is pretty adjustable (I have skinny calves, my pal has wide calves, they work for both of us).

I found out they are made on a kibbutz , which for some reason adds to their appeal.

The problem with getting winter boots is that they are typically sold out by November. One year I waited until Dec 1 & the boot lady laughed at me. Sad.

http://www.smartpakequine.com/blizza...ult-8969p.aspx

I totally agree about the Dafna. Can't beat them for the price. They are a little bulkier, but if you really need waterproof and warm they do the job.

Seems like my idea of not having to switch boots is a pipe dream. *sigh

Buuut.... I didn't know that kiwi waterproofing came in a spray!! and I could spray my half chaps & ariats for right now. I have a can of the rub-on stuff and hate using it- granted I inherited said can from my dad who probably bought it when I was born.

Looked at the dafnas & they are truly Napoleon dynamite-esque. Gotta weigh numb frozen toes with the look. no really, They are super cheap tho, compared to other options. Do they work ok in stirrups and against the saddle? I've read from other posts that some winter boots rub the crud out of your flaps or won't fit in your stirrups.

The Ariat Bromonts are terrific for riding - waterproof, warm, flexible, and durable. If you don't want to spend the $$ for the full tall boots, the paddock boots are equally nice.

However, for standing around, nothing will quite get you there. If I were auditing a clinic or something in cold weather I'd go with my full-on -20 snow boots, and still probably add a heating packet.
    life + horses
    beljoeor.blogspot.com

I haven't had any rubbing problems with the Dafnas. They have a patch on the inside. The foot of my size 11s only fits in a full size stirrup, though. I was using smaller stirrups (who knows where they came from) & had to swap to another pair that I had. If you don't have Sasquatch feet like me, you will prob be fine.

Kerlin said: "However, for standing around, nothing will quite get you there. If I were auditing a clinic or something in cold weather I'd go with my full-on -20 snow boots, and still probably add a heating packet. "

Unfortunately true. Outside when it is really, really cold, & I am standing around, I have never found anything, riding boots, space snow boots or gazillion layers of tech socks or otherwise, that keeps toes warm for the long term. I can prolong the time until they get cold, but when it is 0 degrees, standing sucks. Toes are the only part of me I can't keep warm.

Several years ago DH brought me a pair of boots home from Germany that look a Lot like the Dafnas. They are warm enough to ride in and they keep my feet dry. I love them because all other tall winter boots will not fit over my huge calves. I ride dressage and they don't rub the saddle at all!

Great. Thx for the rec's. I think Santa might be giving me an early prezzie.

Agreed that standing around is cooold. I wear my coveralls from college that shrunk & are high waters, my sorel snow boots, sock combo plus toe Warmers. And try not to drink liquids b/c portopotties & coveralls aren't fun.

Another two thumbs up for Bromonts, which I got as a fluke on closeout for crazy cheap. Troll ebay, etc.
    If you have high arches the Muckers will be excruciating....
    Real Horses. Real Riders. Real Results! www.wvhorsetrainer.com

And toastie toes! the shake 'em up adhesive heat packs-had to break mine out for the first time this season just today....
    Real Horses. Real Riders. Real Results! www.wvhorsetrainer.com

I have the Ariat Brossards and I love them for wearing around in the winter. They keep my feet dry and toasty.

But I am not a fan of riding in them. I think the insulation creates too thick of a barrier between horse and rider. With that being said, a gal who I was letting ride one of my horses rode in her Brossards (she is why I got mine) all of the time and thought they were fantastic for riding, so maybe it's just me who's not a fan of riding in thick(ish) boots.

Another vote for the Ariat Bromonts. Waterproof, comfy, warm. They have been worth the investment.
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

Default Warm tall Boots

Used to have a pair of Bogs which kept my feet toasty warm but were not that tall and not fitted around the ankle. Recently purchased MUCK boots, the Brit Colt boot in black. Awesome boots. We have had extremely wet weather combined with cold. I haven't tried these in our -15 weather yet but paired with a good pair of wool socks and foot Warmers I think they will be great. They are made to ride in. I also have Ariat winter paddock boots that work well.

Bogs and wellies aren't for riding. I have the Mountain Horse Stella Polaris boots- which are absolutely wonderful.

Love, Love, Love my Ariat Brossard tall winter riding boots! They retail for $200 and I have had mine for three years and they are amazing. Totally water proof, super cozy and warm and very comfortable and durable.

http://www.smartpakequine.com/ariat-...x?cm_vc=Search
    Corgigirl14