The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Need help feeding horse with food allergies

Need help redesigning one of my horses' feed. He has food allergies that we (me, trainer and vet) think are encouraging ulcers.

Horse is a 6 yr old 16.1+ h, 1200lb TB. Currently eats 4 quarts of hay stretcher and Blue Seal Trotter, and 2 quarts wet beet pulp twice daily. Has free choice timothy/alfalfa mix hay, gets turned out on grass with hay.

Supplements gets platinum performance CJ and elevate E twice daily, and is currently on a round (treatment dose) of pop rocks.

In work 6 days a week, 45 mins to 1.5 hours, events for a living, work load expected to increase over the next year.

Horse is allergic to: Molasses, wheat, rice bran, and orchard grass hay.

Both the hay stretcher and the trotter have wheat and molasses. Carb Guard gave him food induced psychosis, and has wheat in it anyways.

What do you guys think we should feed him?

BM, Trainer and I were thinking maybe alfalfa pellets, oats and something else?

Want to make sure that what ever we change the food to meets his caloric requirements. Horse is not an easy keeper, not a hard keeper either.

Thanks for reading the novel! Looking forward to input!

I do a basis of oats and alfalfa pellets (3 parts oats to 1 part alfalfa pellets) with 1 part ricebran for my Mr. Sensitive... I would imagine you could replace the ricebran with oil or some other fat content as you need to. On top of that I add a vitamin and mineral supplement and anything else he needs.

We also feed an alfalfa or alfalfa/grass mix hay.

He looks great on this.

Horse is allergic to: Molasses, wheat, rice bran, and orchard grass hay.
    I would use beet pulp, alfalfa pellets, oats, and flax.

Start with a base of bp and alfalfa pellets. Alfalfa pellets seem to be cheaper than bp, but a variety is always good. Add oats and flax (small amounts, like 1-2 cups) for calories. Use a multi-vite with an alfalfa base for vitamins/minerals. If you still feel like he needs more calories, look into Cocosoya oil.

How much of each feed will depend on how much of a hard keeper your horse is.

Beat pulp always contains molasses residue - if horse is truly allergic to molasses, this would contribute to a chronic activation his immune system, which would be nice to avoid.

How theoretical vs how empirical were the allergy tests/trials?
    what was done to limit the influence of outside factors?

I'd avoid anything composite as you have no control over contamination or formula changes - ask what else is pelleted at the factory, it's unlikely for commercial equipment to be de-contaminated between production runs.

My corn allergy horse does beautifully on predominantly oats, with some barley and flax seed mixed in (and PP CJ).

I had a 17.1hh, 1250 pound TB gelding with EPSM who was allergic to corn, wheat, beet pulp, cotton seed. I spent 2 hours in the back room of our local feed and grain store reading labels, trying to find something-ANYthing-my horse could eat. With the help of COTH and Dr. Valentine (EPSM wizard-be glad you don't have this going on as well) we landed on soaked alfalfa pellets, canola oil, Vitamin E/Selenium, Finish Line's Thia-cal, APF Pro. I think there were a couple more supplements in there too but I can't remember them at the moment. He had free choice grass hay as well. Good luck. Once you find the magic balance, don't change anything!!
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Thanks for all of the input everybody! So glad other people have gone through this!

Atr- too funny, I call my guy "Mr. Chestnut Princess" lol. Its a good thing he's such a nice horse because all of his sensitive princessness is annoying.

Alto- we did the blood test. So far it seems very accurate. It has pin pointed the cause of his big allergic reactions- ragweed (horrible, uncomfortable hives) and orchard grass hay (swollen legs). I decided to not do the shots because it seemed like we could get rid of the major environmental stimulus, which were triggering the worst of his allergies.

Really good to know about the trace molasses in beet pulp.

So- looks like alfalfa pellets, oats and a fat source is the way to go. The platinum performance is a good multi vitamin.

The rolled oats at Tractor Supply analysis: Crude Protein (min.) 9.50%, Crude Fat (min.) 4.00%, Crude Fiber (max.) 13.00%

Alfalfa Pellets: Crude Protein (min.) 14.00%, Crude Fat (min.) 1.00%, Crude Fiber (max.) 32.00%, Ash (max.) 10.00%

So he should eat more alfalfa pellets than oats? Or should I replace the trotter with alfalfa pellets, and oats for hay stretcher?

He seems to do better with high protein vs a high fat diet.

What he's eating now-
    Trotter: 14% protein/ 18%fiber/ 3% fat (4 quarts 2x day)
    Hay stretcher: 11.5% protein/ 2% fat/ 20% fiber (4 quarts 2x day)
    Beet pulp: Protein: 7% , Crude Fat: .30%, Crude Fiber: 22% (2 quarts 2x day)

Ugh!!

IMO alfafa pellets should be the bulk of his concentrate, especially if the horse is ulcer-prone.

Quote Originally Posted by SAcres View Post
    IMO alfafa pellets should be the bulk of his concentrate, especially if the horse is ulcer-prone.
    Oh very true. We just recently came to the "horse is ulcer prone" conclusion, and now are trying to address it more than just with ulcer meds.

How can an allergy to "molasses" be determined when molasses derived from sugar cane vs. sugar beet are two entirely different substances?
    Click here before you buy.