The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Looters! What should be done?

I was just reading the news that looters have been ripping off businesses all over Coney Island yesterday and last night. Walking out of stores with big screen televisions and stealing liquor etc.

What do you think should be done to looters when they are caught? What could possibly drive these people to take criminal advantage of others that are suffering as badly as they are?

This just makes me ill! This type of behavior during a crisis no less is unspeakable.

Should the order be given that looters are shot on sight? Perhaps this would make them think twice.

I can understand if you need food or water but a big screen tv? Not so much!
    Lions and Tigers and Bears, oh my!!

Shot on sight seems like overkill. Arrested and charged, definitely.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

4 members found this post helpful.

On the one hand, I don't know how shoot on sight could be used effectively, on the other, arresting large numbers of looters would be a massive undertaking and require a LOT of police effort (I mean, what about when they make a run for it? Shoot them then?) Never mind crowding the courts. I have no problem with the PROPERTY owner shooting a looter/intruder, but it seems hard to have law enforcement make that judgement call when they're in the middle of a chaotic situation.

Where humidity isn't just a word, it's a way of life.

I think that if we can't shoot them, and can't arrest them easily, I would love to see a way of posting LARGE pictures of them all over the place (media, papers).

Maybe if faced with the possibility of friends/family/employers seeing what kind of person they really are, they might think twice. If that doesn't make them think twice, at least others would know who they are dealing with.

I can remember when stores would post lists of those who wrote multiple bad checks and pictures of shoplifters; sometimes the thought of others seeing your bad deeds can make one second-guess an ill-advised action.

1 members found this post helpful.

Shooting on site sure would take care of the problem in a big hurry. And then the papers would be filled with article about how Bobby was such a good boy and how he was turning his life around and he wanted to become a doctor if only he could pass the eighth grade.

I just do not get people who are willing to take advantage of someone who is already in a bad situation.

7 members found this post helpful.

Shooting on sight would definately take care of the issue. I would bet most of the looters are low life scumbags. Good time to clean up the city.

I don't know what would be best in this case, but when we had a very large power outage due to a huge tornado outbreak, my county instituted a curfew that was set just before dark. It was strictly enforced.

Also, the one of the first nights of the outage a looter was shot and killed breaking into a business where the business owner was sleeping there. The local police said to the media that the buisness owner was within his rights. There weren’t many reports of looters after that.

I am all for shoot on site by the store owners and employees, you can't wait for police in some situations.
    When they start looting it is a complete breakdown of society.
    With twitter it is has escalated with flash mobs looting stores in minutes.
    If the police had started to shoot on site during the '93 LA riots it would have been under control within an hour rather than losing 25% of Compton to fire and theft.

The low-life scumbage remark was very close to the mark.
    Remember the '93 video where the Besy Buy electronics store was cleaned out down to the last battery and the Crown Books Bookstore right next to it was completely untouched? That was one of thos a picture is worth a thousand words scenes.
    The Denver Broncos went to visit an orphanage. "It's so sad looking into their faces so devoid of hope." Sara aged 6

4 members found this post helpful.

The way I figure it, bullets are cheaper than court costs and prison upkeep. Looters know the risk of encountering a business owner before they loot. They may think themselve invincible, but they do know the risks...

We had a burglar steal tools out of our garage a few weeks ago. DH had just stepped in side, barely missing the encounter. He'd also shut TurboMutt in the bedroom (out of earshot), whereas she'd have otherwise been sleeping right next to the door leading to the garage. I have the guy on surveillance (fuzzy), can hear him talking on a two-way to his partner, and even know his name, but it's not enough. Not that DH would have shot some punk kid wandering in for a couple tools, but I would have loved to have been able to set the dog loose.
    Jer 29: 11-13

2 members found this post helpful.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Where is the National Guard? That's what is normally used after disasters of this kind?
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    Where is the National Guard? That's what is normally used after disasters of this kind?
    They are rescuing people who tried to ride out the storm and are trapped due to flooding. In some cases they have been filling/stacking sand bags, removing sand and debris from roadways, helping the electric and gas crews with their clean up. Plus providing security in different areas.
    In short there are not enough NG and police to protect everyone. The bad guys/gals know this.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Too bad there's not power. Here's a good use for a few well-placed Orwellian surveillance cameras, pictures posted to Sandy Looters.com and $5K cash to people who identified the culprits. That might stimulate the economy, punish the guilty and deter others. Although the real solution is to teach "if it's not yours, don't touch it"...

Quote Originally Posted by fooler View Post
    In short there are not enough NG and police to protect everyone. The bad guys/gals know this.
    Yep, the NG do what they can, but they can't be everywhere. After our tornado apocalypse the NG I saw were guarding the most heavily damaged areas.

While this no way excuses looting, but doesn't insurance cover losses due to looting during a natural disaster?

This is a genuine question. I live in an area where natural disasters are few and far between and I've never heard of any looting going on when there is one.

As they said in New Orleans after Katrina, "You loot, we shoot".
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Karosel View Post
    While this no way excuses looting, but doesn't insurance cover losses due to looting during a natural disaster?

This is a genuine question. I live in an area where natural disasters are few and far between and I've never heard of any looting going on when there is one.
    Looters have always followed destruction, natural or man-made. They know people either can't protect their property or are unable to immediately return. Often the NG or Police are blocking home/property owners from returning in an effort to keep them safe. So the looters just go in the "back-door" and help themselves.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Quote Originally Posted by MoonoverMississippi View Post
    Maybe if faced with the possibility of friends/family/employers seeing what kind of person they really are, they might think twice. If that doesn't make them think twice, at least others would know who they are dealing with.
    Seriously? You're not talking about people who give a rip about their reputations. In fact, their family members are probably helping them clean out the stores.

I think they should all be given a free puppy, warm slippers and a Big Wheel.

A guy (white) broke the front window of a Muni bus as part of the "Celebration" the night the SF Giants won the World Series. Somebody caught him in the act via their cell phone camera and the picture went viral. He is now in jail.

Also, be careful in evaluating looting stories. They sometimes get blown out of proportion, especially by people with an agenda.

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    Didn't you hear? We're supposed to reduce funding for disaster relief and leave it up to the states.