The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Slimming down the fat cat?

So brought miss kitty into the vet the other week.

Athena needs to lose weight.

She clocks in at 12lbs and per the vet needs to get down to 11 or 10.5lbs.

Before the vet she got per feeding (2x a day):

1/4 cup of Blue Buffalo Weight Management Kibble (sometimes she wouldn't eat all her kibble so I wouldn't give her a second 1/4 cup for dinner)
    1/3rd of a 5.5 oz can of cat food (usually blue buffalo spa selects or Merrick 5 star gourmet).

I've since cut it down to just a teensy bit of kibble (enough to rattle in the pan) and the same amount of wet food.

To say Athena thinks she is starving to death would be an understatement.

(Came home to find she had found her treat bag of greenies and ripped it open and eaten every single treat).

(She no longer gets treats)

I've been trying to feed her before bedtime so I don't get woken up by her yowling that she's OMG!hungry.

So what's the right way to get weight off a cat without them thinking you are starving them to death?

Or is it a lost cause?
    *The Quietman ~ Irish Approved Gr.1 Stallion
    www.windyislesfarms.com
    Like Us on Facebook

Does she like to play? I have one that likes to fetch, so throwing his toys up and down the stairs is great exercise for him...
    RIP Victor... I'll miss you, you big galumph.

I wouldn't go cold turkey with her if she's miserable. Gently back down the amounts so it doesn't seem like you're purposely trying to starve her.

I also agree with BigHorseLittleHorse -- increase her activity quotient. Find a couple of toys she really likes to play with and rotate them in and out. Give her some play time in the morning (if your schedule allows) and more when you get home. If she's anything like my cat, you can make it easier on yourself by just getting up and going into different rooms -- mine ALWAYS has to be first into the room and will sprint to get there.

If she's really food motivated you can also "tease" her with some kibble by sliding the pieces across any wood or linoleum floors you have. She'll chase after the kibble to eat. Or build a little agility course for her to go through with some of the gushy food on a spoon for her to lick as reward/lure.

1 members found this post helpful.

Two seconds of play then NOPE I'M DONE.

Though she has been getting more active/zippy with the colder weather - new favorite thing is to run from the bedroom to the living room and launch herself onto the window sill (style points for not bashing her face against the window...)
    www.windyislesfarms.com
    Like Us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by VaqueroToro View Post
    I wouldn't go cold turkey with her if she's miserable. Gently back down the amounts so it doesn't seem like you're purposely trying to starve her.

I also agree with BigHorseLittleHorse -- increase her activity quotient. Find a couple of toys she really likes to play with and rotate them in and out. Give her some play time in the morning (if your schedule allows) and more when you get home. If she's anything like my cat, you can make it easier on yourself by just getting up and going into different rooms -- mine ALWAYS has to be first into the room and will sprint to get there.

If she's really food motivated you can also "tease" her with some kibble by sliding the pieces across any wood or linoleum floors you have. She'll chase after the kibble to eat. Or build a little agility course for her to go through with some of the gushy food on a spoon for her to lick as reward/lure.
    The food motivation might work come to think of it... Will definitely try.
    www.windyislesfarms.com
    Like Us on Facebook

Hahah yeah – if she is STARVING she might be willing to do some activity in trade for food!

My cat “Fatty” (who came to me fat as a year old cat, and was still pretty heavy when she passed away at 19 years old), would let you know she was STARVING. Like yours, she would play some and then just lay down, stretch out and declare she was DONE.

I found that she was quiet willing to get her feet moving for “treats” – which was her dry kibble (I fed mostly wet). Toss one there… she would scurry over and gobble it up – toss one over there… scurry over again. Eventually I could toss a kibble down the stairs and she would run down and go get it, and high tail it back up the stairs for another kibble.

It helped if the kibble toss session was right after she declared that she was STARVING!

She was never a “light” cat, but with combo of good food (EVO canned and EVO dry kibble), and some extra exercise she was able to drop some pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Appsolute View Post
    She was never a “light” cat, but with combo of good food (EVO canned and EVO dry kibble), and some extra exercise she was able to drop some pounds.
    WindyIsles, this is a good point to keep in mind, especially if your cat isn't a youngster any more. You might not be able to ever get her svelte, but just like the couch potatoes amongst us humans (myself thoroughly in that category), some movement may help her insides better than her outsides -- ie, she might always be fat, but external fat is better for her than fat surrounding her internal organs/creating deposits on her liver.

I actually would get rid of the weight reduction food and go with really high protein grain free foods. Carbs are not good for cats, and her body will process protein better, even if you're feeding roughly the same amount of calories.

Your Blue Buffalo Weight Management has 458 kcal/cup (which is pretty darn high calorie, IMO). It's 28% protein, and the third, fourth, and fifth ingredients are grains.

The BB Spa Select wet food is ~90 kcal per 3oz. 8% protein and contains brown rice.

Contrast that with (just an example, there are lots of high quality grain free foods):

Blue Buffalo Wilderness Grain free (chicken recipe): 391 kcal/cup, no grains, and meat as four of the top five ingredients. 40% protein.

Weruva Funky Chunky Chicken Soup with Pumpkin: 54 kcal per 3oz. Grain free, 10% protein. (I picked this because my kitties love Weruva food, and many of the formulas have pumpkin in them, which will keep them fuller, longer).

So, by switching to grain free, you can feed the same amount and reduce calories. Or you can feed more wet food, less dry, and still end up with fewer calories than before.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by RedMare01 View Post
    I actually would get rid of the weight reduction food and go with really high protein grain free foods. Carbs are not good for cats, and her body will process protein better, even if you're feeding roughly the same amount of calories.

Your Blue Buffalo Weight Management has 458 kcal/cup (which is pretty darn high calorie, IMO). It's 28% protein, and the third, fourth, and fifth ingredients are grains.

The BB Spa Select wet food is ~90 kcal per 3oz. 8% protein and contains brown rice.

Contrast that with (just an example, there are lots of high quality grain free foods):

Blue Buffalo Wilderness Grain free (chicken recipe): 391 kcal/cup, no grains, and meat as four of the top five ingredients. 40% protein.

Weruva Funky Chunky Chicken Soup with Pumpkin: 54 kcal per 3oz. Grain free, 10% protein. (I picked this because my kitties love Weruva food, and many of the formulas have pumpkin in them, which will keep them fuller, longer).

So, by switching to grain free, you can feed the same amount and reduce calories. Or you can feed more wet food, less dry, and still end up with fewer calories than before.
    Trouble is the only (good) wet food I've managed to get her to eat regularly is the Spa Selects/Merrick 5 Star. The other stuff she wouldn't touch and/or gave her liquid diarrhea.

Had her on the Blue Buffalo Wilderness grain free before and she liked it - switched to the weight management one because of a lapse of reading labels/doing research *facepalm* will more than likely switch her back after the current bag is done for.
    www.windyislesfarms.com
    Like Us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by RedMare01 View Post

This is what my vet suggested for my fat cat. It worked and he looks a lot healthier.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

My Fatty McFatterson cat is very rolly poll-ly. If there is food, he will eat it. He was up to nearly 20 pounds! OY! Was not my fault, ex-BF had him and I got him back after 3 years of him eating Science Diet and canned tuna (I know, I know, I was not feeding him that).
    I put him on a grain free food, Taste of the Wild then switched to Earthborn Holistics kibble he gets less than a 1/4 cup in the evening when the dog gets his second meal.

In the morning he gets the small size can (the whole thing, again Earthborn Holistics)
    I noticed that with the addition to the quality canned food he eats less dry. I will also give him fresh raw chicken, turkey, meat if I have it. The same amount he would get it if was his canned food.

He has lost 5 pounds!!

He is 13 yrs old, and he LOVES food so I had to cut it back very slowly because I was afraid he would eat me! LOL His activity level is through the roof. He runs, chases his tail, plays with the dog, and generally enjoys life again.

Maybe construct something so she has to play with it to get the food out...takes longer for her to eat and she gets some stimulation, too.

Personal anecdote:

My cat was close to 18 lbs at his heaviest, despite me never free feeding and always carefully monitoring his calorie intake. My vet at the time recommended Science Diet Light way back when, so that's what I tried... HA. Didn't work no matter how little I fed him, so I did some of my own research, man was I mortified at what I had been feeding...

This site has some excellent info on cat food (written by a small animal vet with a passion for nutrition):http://catinfo.org/

I switched to grain free canned Wellness. The weight loss was not immediate, but from weighing close to 18lbs, he now weighs just under 13 lbs after a couple of years feeding this. He also no longer has any urinary tract issues, bonus of feeding wet food.

Quote Originally Posted by WindyIsles View Post
    So brought miss kitty into the vet the other week.

Athena needs to lose weight.

She clocks in at 12lbs and per the vet needs to get down to 11 or 10.5lbs.

Before the vet she got per feeding (2x a day):

1/4 cup of Blue Buffalo Weight Management Kibble (sometimes she wouldn't eat all her kibble so I wouldn't give her a second 1/4 cup for dinner)
    1/3rd of a 5.5 oz can of cat food (usually blue buffalo spa selects or Merrick 5 star gourmet).

I've since cut it down to just a teensy bit of kibble (enough to rattle in the pan) and the same amount of wet food.

To say Athena thinks she is starving to death would be an understatement.

(Came home to find she had found her treat bag of greenies and ripped it open and eaten every single treat).

(She no longer gets treats)

I've been trying to feed her before bedtime so I don't get woken up by her yowling that she's OMG!hungry.

So what's the right way to get weight off a cat without them thinking you are starving them to death?

Or is it a lost cause?
    I'm more concerned about your vet. Kind of anal, don't you think? Concerned because your cat weighs 12 pounds instead of 11 pounds or 10.5 pounds? Geez. Sounds a bit Nazi-ish to me.

From what I understand, normal housecats - depending on breed/body type - can weigh from 9 to 15 pounds & be perfectly healthy. Once you pass 15 pounds, a diet/exercise regimen "might" come into play.

But putting a cat on a diet because it weighs 12 pounds instead of 11? Weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    I'm more concerned about your vet. Kind of anal, don't you think? Concerned because your cat weighs 12 pounds instead of 11 pounds or 10.5 pounds? Geez. Sounds a bit Nazi-ish to me.

From what I understand, normal housecats - depending on breed/body type - can weigh from 9 to 15 pounds & be perfectly healthy. Once you pass 15 pounds, a diet/exercise regimen "might" come into play.

But putting a cat on a diet because it weighs 12 pounds instead of 11? Weird.
    She is a bit chunky and has a small belly pooch too.

So yeah I agree she could lose some weight.
    www.windyislesfarms.com
    Like Us on Facebook

Didnt read through all the responses, but generally what works great for cats without other issues (ie. constipation), is high protein, medium fibre and low carb. Tin food is also going to help the cat lose weight compared to dry...as in most tins, at least 70% is moisture. You can feed more bulk, without them eating as many calories.