The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Spinoff: Animals you eat

As a spinoff to the "Fur" thread -- some of the comments noted that it was ok to wear the fur of animals you'd killed to eat (or that had been killed for food) -- what animals do you eat? What animals would you try if given the opportunity?

We (DH and I) eat mostly venison (Whitetail deer, specifically) and we just tried squirrel (fantastic!! ). Of course, we also eat supermarket meat, but probably 80% of our meat consumption is wild game.

Since we need to get rid of several groundhogs out at my BO's farm, we'll also be giving groundhog a try. (They're digging holes in the pastures and riding lanes so they have to go. But I'll feel better about killing them if they turn out to be tasty.)

Lorree
    Quote Originally Posted by King's Ransom
    "Now, did you really mean that I should half-pass to the right whilst turning on the haunches to the left? Or was that just you farting?"

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

venison, rabbit, beef/bison, lamb and poultry. Haven't had squirrel or goat but willing to try. Willing to try about anything really. Not sure about ground hogs or possums, but they're vile creatures imho. Also not sure about eating raccoons since the ones most easly caught are ones that have scavenged in gods-know-what. Not interested in eating carnivores.
    Last edited by tle; Nov. 1, 2012 at 10:38 AM.
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

Anything is really fair game in this house. DH is an avid hunter, and I like to try new things, so it works pretty well.

There is a store in NH that my Mom goes to that carries 'fun' things like alligator, buffalo, elk, etc. Stuff that you normally wouldn't be able to shoot yourself around here, and she always gets a few packs for DH each Christmas. They are super fun to try!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

I draw the line at brains, but otherwise I'll pretty much eat anything, including other "innards".

I do not hunt, but have profited from friends who do & greatly enjoyed the venison : 9

I have dual-purpose hens in my flock, but will not process them for food, even when they're done laying.
    They will just join the other non-contributing livestock that exist for my pleasure
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

I'm a beef/chicken girl. Of course have eaten turkey, pork, tried alligator (meh), lots of fish, lobster (too rich), shrimp, scallops, and whatever they make gyros out of, I can never remember if it's lamb or goat. Oh, and venison salami (bleh).

I'm not really looking to try anything more exotic than that.
    Quarry Rat

On a regular/semi-regular basis: Beef, chicken, pork, turkey, venison, duck, lamb/mutton. Have eaten/would eat again: Elk, buffalo, kangaroo, rattlesnake, emu, ostrich, goose, bowhead whale (it's an anthropology thing, you wouldn't understand), turtle...really, I'll try pretty much anything that isn't a primate or poisonous at least once.

Seafood: All nonpoisonous fish species as fair game (I will NOT try fugu), bivalve molluscs (clams, oysters, scallops, etc.) I'm allergic to crustaceans (which eliminates ever trying 'bug-eating', too, as they're too closely related to chance it.) Octopus, snails, squid...

As far as parts/cuts, I won't eat the nervous system, but otherwise, I'll at least try it. I'd actually like to try a real, genuine, haggis at least once, even.

Quote Originally Posted by Synrgystyk View Post
    we just tried squirrel (fantastic!! ).
    So I guess you have turned into these guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSUXXzN26zg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxYYPziLdR4

I love fresh caught shellfish myself. Lobster, Crab.
    The Denver Broncos went to visit an orphanage. "It's so sad looking into their faces so devoid of hope." Sara aged 6

1 members found this post helpful.

LOVE venison / elk / caribou and wild boar – wish I could buy them at the local grocer!

I like game – I do not have a hunter in the family, but my town hosts an annual “Game Feed” fund raiser which I am always sure to attend. Local hunters (although much of the game is from out of state hunting trips) prepare their “entries” (its also a contest!) – I LOVE the variety of meats, including:

Wild boar
    Elk
    Deer
    Antelope
    Rabbit
    Duck
    Pheasant
    Wild turkey
    Quail
    Sole
    Salmon

I also LOVE seafood, and I will eat just about anything that comes out of the sea – adventurous when it comes to sushi.

I am open to eat most types of meat but draw the line at eating carnivores / omnivores (like bear).

Quote Originally Posted by 5 View Post
    Yup. Now I'm looking at .22 air rifles for squirrel hunting. (My deer rifle won't leave enough to eat.)

Lorree
    Quote Originally Posted by King's Ransom
    "Now, did you really mean that I should half-pass to the right whilst turning on the haunches to the left? Or was that just you farting?"

I'm a very, very picky eater and generally don't like to eat meat. I'll only eat it if Mr. PoPo prepares it (I don't like to cook with it, it gives me the heebie-jeebies). Having said that, though, we do buy local meat - cow, lamb, pig - from our neighbors. The only part of all of those that I'll eat is the sausage from the pig - it is really good! Otherwise, Mr. PoPo's got to eat all of it himself or save it for when we have guests!

I like some fish, but again I'm picky. I love clams but hate oysters. I love crab but hate lobster.

It is hard to explain my picky-ness. Sometimes I feel like a big weirdo!

I do eat a turkey sandwich every day for lunch, though.
    My Mustang Adventures - Mac, my mustang | Annwylid D'Lite - my Cob filly

"A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

My undergrad degree is bilogy and the biology club always had a yearly wild game dinner, so I've probably tried most of what can be hunted legally in US. Like the harder to find meats - buffalo, duck, goose, quail, lamb. tried a variety of seafood, including alligator, turtle, squid. Many of the game meats are too strong for my tastes or not getting it from cooks that are good with it. Would try aussie meat - ostrich, kangaroo
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

I eat the mainstream food animals. I've also tried bear and alligator. I will generally try anything once, but I am not really a meat person anyway.

Some meats I was raised on, I never developed a tolerance for, such as venison and mutton. Duck is OK now and then as is wild turkey.

Just give me a large salad or some pasta... I'll be fine.
    The more perfect our happiness,
    the more nagging and wretched
    do our unsolved problems seem.
    ~ Gordon Grand

Default The Australian three

When visiting in February, most restaurants had crocodile, emu and kangaroo on the menu.

I refused to eat their national animal even thought the locals called them bouncing beef.
    A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton

I usually buy a half of beef and a pig from two of my friends that raise them. Have raised broiler chickens and they were delish. My ex bf and I both hunted so 90% of our meat was venison. Also had lots of goose and duck. Have some amazing receipes for goose. Im not crazy about trying lots of new stuff but given the chance I can and it looks like it tastes good, I will try it. Oh also caught a lot of fish and we crabbed every weekend so we always had fresh maryland blue crabs. I don't know what I miss more... him or the boat! LOL

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Synrgystyk View Post
    Yup. Now I'm looking at .22 air rifles for squirrel hunting. (My deer rifle won't leave enough to eat.)
    So I guess unless you are hunting Pink Mist a .308 is overkill huh?.
    Last edited by 5; Nov. 1, 2012 at 10:20 PM.
    The Denver Broncos went to visit an orphanage. "It's so sad looking into their faces so devoid of hope." Sara aged 6

I love meat, and I'm a very adventurous eater - I'll try anything at least once.

I eat the regulars (chicken, beef, pork, white fish like tilapia) fairly often, but I also love sushi - especially uni/sea urchin and octopus, but I also love squid, scallop, salmon roe... I've never found sushi that I don't like. I love seafood in general though; bivalves, fish, crustaceans, etc. are all delicious to me! I'll have lamb occasionally and I don't dislike it, but I don't love it the way I love seafood. I do like it in gyros though.

Since moving to MN, I've had some more gamey options including venison, elk, bison, alligator, and some really fabulously-made duck, which was one of the most delicious things I've ever eaten. I've also had escargot since moving out here, and while I was skeptical about it, it was great!

I have never had it, but my sister used to have guinea pigs when we were growing up and she lost interest in them as most young girls do. The pigs, 2 females and 1 male lived outside by the barn and were 'free range' pigs. We would put them up at night and loose in the day. Well, as you can imagine the pigs bred and we had 2 litters fairly quickly.

My mom was at the super market at the deli counter waiting for her turn talking to a friend of hers tell her that we had a bunch of baby guinea pigs and would her kids like any? (for free)

Well, the butcher at the deli counter over heard her and offered to buy all the baby pigs once they were weaned. So we started to fatten the little suckers up and every couple of months we had 2 new litters for him. He paid well and LOVED our little piggies!

We supplied that butcher with pigs for a couple of years.

*I on the other hand have never eaten guinea pigs. I have only had; gator, wild boar, deer jerky, and the normal super market stuff.

P.E.T.A.= People Eating Tasty Animals

(bumper sticker seen)