The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Talking Its About Time - Updated with media

God I hope I'm not jumping the gun on this, I was going to wait and see, but too excited to wait...

Finally!! Sterling and I will be competing at Jumping Branch Farm HT this Saturday...At Beginner Novice* We've done starters (tadpole) over the season to help build confidence for both of us, now's the time to show we are ready.

My trainer surprised me after our last event at FENCE with her "seemingly" casual comment "why don't you enter JB at Beginner Novice". YES!!

Like anything horses, nothing can be completely smooth. Two weeks ago we discovered Sterling had a splint bone issue. Nothing major (Thank God), but it was enough to put us into a wait and see mode. Two weeks of rest, topical from the Vet, splint boots for protection, recheck by vet and he is clear to go. I have had no opportunity to ride anything so dressage will be ... interesting... and jumping may be exciting, but I trust this guy so much, he'll make it look good.

It has been a long journey, getting to this point and as my trainer taught me, ride the plan and look beyond the jump. I feel Sterling and I are going to have fun this weekend. This will just be the start to a new level of fun and learning for us in Eventing.
    ------
    * I had been on the edge three years ago when Mercedes and I had a bad fall, she had to retire from jumping, I had to rebuild confidence, find a new horse, re-learn to ride him and him learning to jump...Maybe a typical road for Eventers, but never an easy one.
    Last edited by JP60; Nov. 6, 2012 at 10:31 PM.

3 members found this post helpful.

Have a blast. JBF is a gas. Report back please.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Yay!!!!!

Good luck and have fun! Give us the good news when it's done (and pictures, of course )
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

Have fun! You guys sound so ready. And remember, PICS...or it didn't happen.

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

Have fun!!

Noble will be making his BN debut this weekend as well, at the Walnut Creek Pony Club unrecognized event on Sunday. He's been doing amazing in the last couple weeks and I think we've worked on all the right "issues" since LAZ's event last month (at Starter) to have a lovely go. Best part (well, aside from doing an event on a pony you really like) is that due to late ride times I don't have to get up at the butt-crack of dawn to get there! No puttering as I have to walk my courses before dressage since there's only an hour between D and SJ and another hour between SJ and XC, but since D doesn't start for me until noon and the SJ BN course change/walk will be about 11:20, I think I get to sleep in til about 7 and should be home for a decent dinner time! YAY!!
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

Yay!
    Click here before you buy.

So awesome. Enjoy every minute of it...and yes, be sure to come back and share pics!!
    You can't fix stupid.

Good luck today! Bring home pictures!!

Default SUCCESS!!!

If I get photos I will post them, but in a fit of complete stupidity (and I am the geek in the house) I wiped out the video's of Dressage and stadium

I did write about the event in this blog, but the short version was that we had a blast. Finished 7/12 with a decent dressage, amazing stadium, and pure joyful cross country. Had 2.8 time penalties for going a wee bit fast, but never wild. I just was tired of always trotting, Sterling was tired of trotting, and well, for a moment or too I was channeling Becky and Comet

This is just the start, steady steps got us here and they will take us even further down the road. Now we will focus on firming up this foundation and improve on managing our pace (or get a watch )

Thank you all for the support. It really does help A Lot!!

tle, I hope you had the same success. Please let us know as well.

Added later, this is a picture or two from earlier this year

Schooling
    Full Gallop
    Completed the BN course
    Hunter round 2.6

SInce I wiped out my current media, this was a snap shot of me and my guy. Next time I'll remember to copy before overwriting.
    Last edited by JP60; Nov. 4, 2012 at 10:31 PM. Reason: added content

That is awesome. Congrats!!
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.

Yay! When I saw you guys at FENCE, I thought you guys looked awesome - so happy that all the hard work paid off with a great run. Congrats! Oh, and I loved the blog!

I was at this horse trial too! Congrats, your horse is gorgeous

After spending a bunch of time and some money I was able to recover my dressage and stadium round videos. My SO did her best to capture the moment and cross country could not be saved. Maybe time for a helmet cam :-)

Stadium Round
    Dressage BN-B Test

Darkness crimps practice, but we are going to do what we can to stay in shape, focused and ready for next season. thanks all for the congrats and support.

Good stuff! Congrats on a big milestone, you two looked super

You also managed a beefy first BN stadium really well. I've never seen a bank complex as part of stadium, pretty cool!

Thanks for sharing
    Cotton would fight.

I love your horse! Watching Sterling adjust his stride and "pat the ground" when needed was fun to watch. Thanks for sharing your videos.
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!