The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I have a hard time with someone that wants to wear a snow leopard there aren't many left. A mink isn't an endangered species as far as I know.

Thanks for the opinions thus far.

Would you pass negative judgment on someone who chooses to wear an article of clothing made of fur? If yes, why? Does it make them a bad person?

Fur is lovely. I have a few vintage fur hats I inherited from my grandmother and they are insanely fabulous. I also inherited a silver fox coat that I've never worn but is beautiful and amazing to touch. They are all a bit too old Hollywood to be practical, though. I don't go to any black tie events which is the only place they would look correct.

I have a big problem with people purchasing fur from endangered/critical species on the black market. Inherited/acquired legally? That ship has sailed so I get less worked up again that kind of thing.

I personally don't like fur, but have no problem with those who wear it. My only issue is with animals that are endangered or illegally used. It would be nice if there was a "free range" or "organic" variety that translated to raised in natural conditions and humanely killed as posted - (a good life with a bad day). I would prefer the meat be used somewhere - human food, zoos or other animal feed.
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by BearRock View Post
    Thanks for the opinions thus far.

Would you pass negative judgment on someone who chooses to wear an article of clothing made of fur? If yes, why? Does it make them a bad person?
    I'll be personally and internally judge-y, but I'm not about to berate them or throw paint on them. (: As I said, I think it's ethically wrong to buy new fur (I also give a pass to vintage--I have my grandma's mink stole and it's about a thousand generations of mink too late to save those particular critters). I do have friends who don't see a problem with the fur industry, and I disagree with them and may jokingly scold them if they're wearing fur, but I'm not going to flip out on them or give them a legitimately hard time. Those same friends have different political beliefs than I do too, and again, I may personally believe I'm in the right if we discuss an issue, but I don't think they're "bad people" or value my beliefs over our friendship.

um guys, the "by-products" they use in crappy dog/cat food isn't the tasty liver and healthy internal bits you're imagining- it's decaying garbage, literally, from the slaughterhouse. They toss the parts that can't be sold for any other purpose into a container to sit until it can be processed. There's no quality control, and it varies wildly from batch to batch what goes into it. It's low quality and not very nutritious. Chicken by-products are mostly intestines and chicken feet- not nutritious at all. Better than corn or soy, sure, but don't be fooled into thinking it's a high-quality desirable ingredient.
    The "good parts" like the liver, spleen, hearts etc. don't go into the by-products. They get sold for other uses. If your dog food actually had healthy body parts in it, it would say so. For example, an actual high-quality dog food:

Beef, beef heart, beef liver

or

Lamb tripe, lamb meat, venison tripe

note they actual list the organ meats.

If it just says "by-products" you can be sure it's not healthy organ meat or healthy scraps, it's the parts that have zero other use.

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm faux fur gal. I detest the idea of raising for example, foxes, in cages where they recieve a horrible life of misery for a coat!

Unless you are an Inuit using the entire caribou carcass to survive--fur use in fashion really p's me off!!
    I LOVE my Chickens!

AAFCO Definition: Chicken by-product meal consists of the ground, rendered, clean parts of the carcass of slaughtered chicken, such as necks, feet, undeveloped eggs and intestines, exclusive of feathers, except in such amounts as might occur unavoidable in good processing practice.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

I have no problem with fur products from animals not endangered. They are really really warm, feel great and wear well. I have a beaver coat that came from my great aunt, the absolute warmest thing I have ever had on. Real fur does require real care however.