The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default UPDATE: Excercises to do with fractured foot in walking cast?

Since I am stuck in at least a walking cast for a fractured foot, I wanted to find out what I can do for exercise! I normally jog, ride, and do yoga. I have to keep the walker on at ALL times per the doctor, so can't even take it off to sneak in some yoga stretches.

I need to burn some calories! How?
    Last edited by JumpQH; Dec. 24, 2012 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Update

I feel your pain, I was there this time last year with a fracture of the 5th metatarsal. It is REAL hard to sit when you are so use to being very active.

You could focus on pilates core excercises like crunches and leg lifts, etc. and throw in a few push-ups (on bent knees, girl style). Just be careful how up get up and down on the floor.

Sorry to say, it is just something you will have to wait out. Good luck for a speedy healing!
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." --Ghandi

Anything that gets your ams above your head will get your heart working harder -- grab some hand weights and lift!

Work on your balance (obviously only on the one side...) by standing on one foot and moving the other out to the front, side, back, and across in front. Hold onto something so you don't risk re-injuring your foot if you fall.

Sit on the floor and stretch, then do lots of crunches while you're down there.

Be careful both with getting up and down, and also how you're hanging that hurt foot out in space. Depending on what's broken, the weight of the boot may be too much for it at certain angles.
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

Get thee to a qualified Physical Therapist. They are as close to "miracle workers" as one finds in the medical community today.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

I had killer abs by the time I got out of the walking cast last spring.

I kept doing my strength training class most of last year when I couldn't walk for $%t. On days that I was less weight bearing than others, I either sat on a ball or whatever other piece of equipment was handy. Since I was lame pretty much all of last year, by the time I had surgery my trainer & I had the "non-weight bearing workout" down to a science. I worked out while I was still on crutches (cabin fever REALLY BAD) When the rest of the group did legs, I did abs. Then I did more abs. Then some upper body. Then more abs. I had jello-covered abs of steel by the time I finished rehab.

There is also the hated (at least by me) arm bike.

ETA: I found it was much easier to do abs or crunches on an exercise ball or bench than on the floor. The exercise itself wasn't the problem - getting up and down was!
    Last edited by red mares; Nov. 1, 2012 at 12:47 PM. Reason: added a thought

OP I'm right there with you. I'm on day four of a full cast with a fractured ankle. I'm going crazy. I think I will start some ab/upper body work. I have three weeks in the hard cast then I don't know how long in the boot cast. I guess I'm glad it's almost winter. Going to give my "pony" the winter off and let him get fuzzy.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Been there! 6 months in the boot- no fun! If you have access to an indoor pool, swimming is the perfect exercise.
    "Life is too short to be a slave to the whims of others." -- RugBug, COTH

Swimming (or water running/water aerobics) can be great, but it can't come in until you are at least partially free of the walking cast, and even then, you have to be really careful about pushing off the wall with your good foot only. Depending on what exactly's broken, though, even the pressure of the water against your bad foot while kicking can be excruciating.

I crutched my way around the weight room for a few months when I was in a walking cast. You can do abs and upper body, even some leg stuff, with the cast, and you can improve the calorie burn somewhat by doing supersets with no rest in between. Not ideal, but better than sitting at home moping! Also, some gyms have hand cycles you can use to get your HR up.
    I evented just for the Halibut.

Quote Originally Posted by risky business View Post
    I feel your pain, I was there this time last year with a fracture of the 5th metatarsal. It is REAL hard to sit when you are so use to being very active.

You could focus on pilates core excercises like crunches and leg lifts, etc. and throw in a few push-ups (on bent knees, girl style). Just be careful how up get up and down on the floor.

Sorry to say, it is just something you will have to wait out. Good luck for a speedy healing!
    Actually, everything you mentioned is already part of my regular weekly routine! I was able to do it all relatively successfully this morning. Yes, it is REAL hard to stop being active!

Quote Originally Posted by Guilherme View Post
    Get thee to a qualified Physical Therapist. They are as close to "miracle workers" as one finds in the medical community today.

G.
    I'm waiting to get approved for an MRI, so I'm in a holding pattern in regards to PT. My doctor wants to see what all is going on in there in detail before we get into the "real" cure! I am a HUGE fan of PT. When I shattered my elbow (errrr.....yes, it WAS from coming off a horse!), the surgeon said I'd be lucky to get 30% use back. Well, I was a superstar (and stubborn!), worked my butt off in PT, and got 100%! My surgeon saw me about 8 years later, and is still amazed!

Quote Originally Posted by red mares View Post
    I had killer abs by the time I got out of the walking cast last spring.

I kept doing my strength training class most of last year when I couldn't walk for $%t. On days that I was less weight bearing than others, I either sat on a ball or whatever other piece of equipment was handy. Since I was lame pretty much all of last year, by the time I had surgery my trainer & I had the "non-weight bearing workout" down to a science. I worked out while I was still on crutches (cabin fever REALLY BAD) When the rest of the group did legs, I did abs. Then I did more abs. Then some upper body. Then more abs. I had jello-covered abs of steel by the time I finished rehab.

There is also the hated (at least by me) arm bike.

ETA: I found it was much easier to do abs or crunches on an exercise ball or bench than on the floor. The exercise itself wasn't the problem - getting up and down was!
    LOVE IT! My abs are gonna HATE me! I'm ok getting up and down, as long as I don't do it over and over!

Quote Originally Posted by ParadoxFarm View Post
    OP I'm right there with you. I'm on day four of a full cast with a fractured ankle. I'm going crazy. I think I will start some ab/upper body work. I have three weeks in the hard cast then I don't know how long in the boot cast. I guess I'm glad it's almost winter. Going to give my "pony" the winter off and let him get fuzzy.
    UGH! I broke my other foot when a horse slid and landed on it while riding, and was in a cast, during the summer. MISERABLE! I resented it so much that I was stringing fencing for the horses and sweated in my cast until it broke, a week earlier than I was supposed to get it off!

Quote Originally Posted by janedoe726 View Post
    Been there! 6 months in the boot- no fun! If you have access to an indoor pool, swimming is the perfect exercise.
    Six MONTHS in a boot? Sheer misery! The only indoor pools in AZ are found at gyms! I'll have to see after my MRI how long I'll have to stay in this thing. If it's short-term, no gym membership for me!

Quote Originally Posted by wsmoak View Post
    Anything that gets your ams above your head will get your heart working harder -- grab some hand weights and lift!

Work on your balance (obviously only on the one side...) by standing on one foot and moving the other out to the front, side, back, and across in front. Hold onto something so you don't risk re-injuring your foot if you fall.

Sit on the floor and stretch, then do lots of crunches while you're down there.

Be careful both with getting up and down, and also how you're hanging that hurt foot out in space. Depending on what's broken, the weight of the boot may be too much for it at certain angles.
    Thanks! My arms need more strength-training, anyway. My legs get the majority, or DID until this. My.......get this......NAVICULAR bone is broken! Seems only right since my horse caused the break!

Quote Originally Posted by NeverTime View Post
    Swimming (or water running/water aerobics) can be great, but it can't come in until you are at least partially free of the walking cast, and even then, you have to be really careful about pushing off the wall with your good foot only. Depending on what exactly's broken, though, even the pressure of the water against your bad foot while kicking can be excruciating.

I crutched my way around the weight room for a few months when I was in a walking cast. You can do abs and upper body, even some leg stuff, with the cast, and you can improve the calorie burn somewhat by doing supersets with no rest in between. Not ideal, but better than sitting at home moping! Also, some gyms have hand cycles you can use to get your HR up.
    I was wondering about that (if the pressure of water would hurt, which I KNOW it would, since ANY pressure hurts)! When I was on crutches for a single day when I first did this, boy were my arms/shoulders/chest sore! Excellent workout! Great idea!

UPDATE - well, despite wearing shoes to make me "even", my back just couldn't take the walking cast, and I stopped using it. My back is better, but my foot is still messed up. I'm in a tennis shoe (per doc's instructions) 24/7 for support, but it's still trying to heal from a bone bruise and bad sprain over the top of my foot (where horsie's hoof landed). I'm going CRAZY not being able to do anything!

Sorry to hear that, JumpQH. I'm right there with ya. I have a broken ankle and I'm in a full leg hard cast. I thought it was supposed to be on for three weeks. I went to my three-week appointment the other day only to realize I misunderstood. I will be in the full cast for nine to twelve weeks. I am so depressed. Can't put weight on that leg at all. Sigh.

Happy Thanksgiving, all!
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by ParadoxFarm View Post
    Sorry to hear that, JumpQH. I'm right there with ya. I have a broken ankle and I'm in a full leg hard cast. I thought it was supposed to be on for three weeks. I went to my three-week appointment the other day only to realize I misunderstood. I will be in the full cast for nine to twelve weeks. I am so depressed. Can't put weight on that leg at all. Sigh.

Happy Thanksgiving, all!
    AGH!!!!!!!! I would go insane if I was in your situation! I'm so sorry! Hope you had a good Thanksgiving, though!

Sorry, double post. Darned Chrome!

Dependng on your injury - I broke mine a few weeks ago and it is absolutely amazing how fast the bones start to get sticky - about 2 weeks. . . then it is an improvement everyday.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique