The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Disney...Lucasfilm...WTF?

So Disney is buying Lucasfilm and has plans to make more Star Wars movies... I love you Disney, but why!?!

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2012/10/...ing/?hpt=hp_t3
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

Shame on you Mr. Lucas.

Maybe they'll make GOOD movies. Star Wars movies are SO painfully bad.

Episode IV and V were very good. VI had some corny moments (the ewoks) but was still decent.

Episodes I, II and III were a different matter entirely.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

As long as Disney is willing to pony up the cash for a proper restoration of the original Star Wars trilogy and The Phantom Menace, I can be open-minded.
    SPACE FOR RENT

Where the prairie ends and the mountains begin

My dog, Luke Skywalker, just rolled over in his grave.
    Dreaming in Color

@drmgncolor: did you accidentally spell dog backwards?

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm cavorting with glee. Pixar, Muppet, Marvel Comics, now Star Wars? WE OWN ALL THE COOL THINGS. I've been a Disney shareholder since before I could walk and this is the BEST CORPORATE MOVE EVER. (Though watch it, Iger. We got rid of Eisner when it went bad, we can get rid of you.)

I'm kind of hoping if they really go ahead with episodes 7-8-9 they really consider asking J. J. Abrams to direct--if you listen to the commentary on the "Star Trek" DVD, he is a massive Star Wars fan. And weirdly the Trek reboot felt more to me like watching classic Star Wars than Phantom Menace or Attack of the Clones did. And unlike George, he can direct people to do something besides "faster, more intense." It's really painfully obvious in the prequels which actors (Liam Neeson, Ewan McGregor, Ian McDiarmed, Pernilla August) can be left to their own devices and which (Natalie Portman, Hayden Christensen) really need a strong acting director...Heck, Empire Strikes Back didn't just benefit from Lawrence Kasdan writing the script but from Irvin Kershner directing, too.

I've heard people speculate about George's health because of this...dunno. This basically sets him and his kids up for life, and he HAS said he wanted to get out of traditional movie-making. One does wonder, though.

Where the prairie ends and the mountains begin

Quote Originally Posted by SnicklefritzG View Post
    @drmgncolor: did you accidentally spell dog backwards?
    I can see where you could think that. But really, he was a wonderfully loving, but protective lab mix, my Luke Skywalker. I miss him.
    Last edited by drmgncolor; Nov. 1, 2012 at 10:36 AM.
    Dreaming in Color

Though it hurts to see this happen (since I'm a huge George Lucas fan) I think, because he IS the control freak he is, that I respect him highly for taking this matter on himself, and making SURE it's done the way HE wants it done.

I'm just not so sure about giving up all the merch stuff, though. I guess at the price, it had to be, but wow....he's the father of movie/music/anything merching...it's all so odd feeling.
    "As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use."- William James
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proud member of the Wheat Loss Clique.

I'm a huge Disney and Star Wars fan (or geek, whatever). I'm not sure how I feel about it. I'm excited that new movies are coming out (I see myself waiting in line with Ethan for the midnight showing) but it does make me a bit nervous. Disney has done great things with Star Wars. We spent a weekend at the parks during Star Wars weekend and it was AWESOME!! We always enjoy Star Tours and shopping for neat SW gear when we visit. I guess it's a we shall see situation.
    "The joys of motherhood are never fully experienced until the children are in bed" UK

The movies got progressively worse after 1977.

I should have been paid to watch the last three.
    The Denver Broncos went to visit an orphanage. "It's so sad looking into their faces so devoid of hope." Sara aged 6

1 members found this post helpful.

Well, Lucas always said he would never make the rest of the books into movies. So I am actually happy someone is going to do it. I think it will be a good thing.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

City of delusion in the state of total denial

My corner of the planet is wondering if Joss Whedon can be gotten on board for the next films, although I do understand he'll be a little busy...
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Why did Disney buy Lucas Film because it includes Industrial Light & Magic (ILM), the rights to the Star Wars franchise and Indian Jones. Although the latter is partially tied up with Paramount Pictures. It was perfect sense for the 'mouse' to ensure access to content for the future. George said he's happy with Disney and ensuring his legacy continues.

In case anyone forgets Pixar was originally a Lucas entity that he sold to Steve Jobs in 1986 following his Apple ouster. Much of that sale was prompted by financial problems from George's divorce in 1983.

ETA: George will put his sale proceeds to charity

Hollywood Reporter: George Lucas using Disney deal to benefit education programs

It has now been revealed Lucas will put the bulk of the money he receives into a foundation which will focus on educational issues.

A spokesperson for the 68 year old tells The Hollywood Reporter, "George Lucas has expressed his intention, in the event the deal closes, to donate the majority of the proceeds to his philanthropic endeavours."
    Last edited by Glimmerglass; Nov. 1, 2012 at 05:34 PM.