The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Doomsday preppers ?

Just saw an episode of this on Nat Geo channel and it was very thought provoking.... any COTH'rs out there getting ready for the end times ? My BO is sinking a storage container out in a pasture to "bunker down" in when the sh++ hits the fan. Another friend is stocking alcohol for "bartering" when the dollar inevitably loses its value. BF and I just purchased a rifle and handgun and lessons on how to use them. How will you protect and care for your horses ? Should we be teaching them to drive or mentally preparing to eat them if and when food gets scarce ? I personally am thinking along the lines of taking a NOLS course for adults to brush up on my survival skills...Hunger Games style...anyone else prepping for the end and what are you doing ?

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm brushing up on the point-and-laughing. I'm almost to the level I used to be when I was a tween, it's hard work but will be worth it.

13 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Coanteen View Post
    I'm brushing up on the point-and-laughing. I'm almost to the level I used to be when I was a tween, it's hard work but will be worth it.
    I predict the entertainment value will be tremendous.

The only thing I do is the following:
    1) have at least a week's worth of fresh water on hand.
    2) have a two week supply of fresh food, 1-2 month of canned good, dry stuff like beans, rice, etc.
    3) first aid kit and car full of gas.

Believe me in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy, I'm using all three!

Well, I have plans to go to an End of The World Eve party (day before the Mayan's predicted end of the world, lol). Does that count?

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Frizzle View Post
    Well, I have plans to go to an End of The World Eve party (day before the Mayan's predicted end of the world, lol). Does that count?
    Oh, that definitely counts, and it sounds like fun, too!
    I loff my Quarter horse clique

I kill threads dead!

I plan to be in Mexico, in the Mayan, where they don't actually believe the end is coming...

Actually, I plan to continue on with life as is, since we don't know when the end will come.

Wait a minute...The End is coming??? Was this announced recently? I didn't hear about it, Sandy knocked out cable at my house so I have no tv, phone or internet. Well that just sucks. I'm assuming not the Mayan Calendar thing? There weren't Leap Years then, so by their calendar we ended a while back already. MSN has been doing online stories about Preppers, but more for natural disasters. For those, hell yeah I'm a prepper. Kinda dumb to not be prepared and get caught without any means of taking care of yourself and animals. So I keep enough on hand for 10 days of no power, have a generator that runs everything, keep gas and diesel stockpiled, food, water for people and animals, have chainsaws and tractors to clean up, etc. Normal, IMO.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

2 members found this post helpful.

Well, since no one else has a serious answer...

I just started watching the first few episodes, though i've done some reading on the subject. I'm not so interested in preparing for every imaginable disaster out there (zombies? aliens?), though i'm sure they could happen in theory. What interests me more is planning for realistic (probably natural) disasters from a farm perspective.

Currently, if my power goes off, I have no way to water the animals. That's a big problem. That's not even preparing for a disaster, just a drunk driver hitting a light pole. I would love to find an inexpensive way to remedy that (generator isn't in the cards yet).

If the SHTF (my favorite acronym from them!), I have chickens for eggs and meat, and dairy goats for milk (or meat). Two of my 4 equids drive, and I have 3 carts, though nothing large enough to carry much in the way of supplies if necessary (2 small carts and a meadowbrook). Should I really need to get out of town, I could probably "pack" supplies on 2 saddled horses, drive the other, and attempt to tow the donkey along behind. I have enough guns to protect myself, and know how to shoot them. I'm not good at it, probably couldn't load and shoot quickly enough, and wouldn't relish the thought of having to kill someone.

One neighbor is an avid hunter, another has a massive garden and cans everything. My relationship with them is excellent, and we already trade a lot of food back and forth. I feel pretty confident that we could all protect each other and keep each other alive for a short period of time.

Some of the people are over the top, but I think there's something to be taken from all of them. Especially those of us caring for animals (or children). It's never a bad idea to keep some extra food and water on hand, basic first aid, flashlight/candles, etc.

It's one thing to prepare for natural disasters, but if the end times actually come in our lifetime, we're all toast anyway.

Sam's Club is apparently now selling food (online?)that will last for years, and I am serious. I believe it is always good to plan ahead for whatever reason. Maybe not the end of the world, but for natural disasters such as so many people just experienced.
    Since DH and I are not spring chickens anymore, I think having food set aside is not a bad idea. What if we lose our income? Nice to know we would at least be able to eat.

I see no problem with being prepared for a prolonged state of emergency, be it hurricanes, power grid failures, war, or zombie apocalypse. Let's face it...3 of those are not out of the realm of possibility. Any preparation that will not go to waste is fine.

Sinking a storage container? Can be used as a root cellar or tornado shelter. If you have the means, why not. We've considered the same thing.
    Purchasing firearms and learning to use them from a professional? It's another skill that you have at the ready.
    Stockpiling liquor? Need I say more?

If you are making smart choices that will not go to waste even if the world stays the same, then why not? If you are stockpiling MREs in a silo in Utah...Well, what are you going to do when the MREs run out and nothing will grow in the Utah desert?
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry and has widely been considered as a bad move." -Douglas Adams

Not prepping for "the end" but I am definitely prepared for most types of natural disasters. I have a full pantry of food, a generator & gas on hand, and water flows naturally up into the cistern so I don't necessarily need power to get it.

I think it's sad that people don't keep enough on hand to care for themselves for even a short period of time.

I also think it's sad that "prepper" people think they will be able to fend off 100,000 hungry people from a nearby city if things do go horribly wrong.
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

Re the topic if purchasing guns. DH has a loaded .45 stashed away in my nightstand. I'm okay with it being there, I'm comfortable with guns, I'm a reasonable shot, however, when he leaves I unload it. I couldn't pull the slide back to chamber a round quickly enough, it's wicked hard. I figure I'll have better luck using it as a club if somebody ever broke in.

So for those of you stocking up on the firearms, get one that you can use quickly in any given situation. We are big gun fans in this house!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

A farm in Virginia I think (I'd have to check my FB and can't from work) either just had or is having a disaster preparedness clinic. I would LOVE to get their notes. I do think about it, because natural disasters aren't uncommon anywhere. Personally, a generator is probably my most immediate "need" in this realm due to needing the electricity for the well pump to run. I do have plans to purchase a hand pump for the shallow well at the barn, but that won't work in the winter. My mom is so cute... she called me Monday while on vacation in Arizona to ask how I was doing with the incoming weather and if they needed to wire me money for a generator. Next year I'm hoping to have a better garden yea.

As for guns... loaded .3030 lever-action rifle upstairs (LOVE that gun), loaded 9mm glock in the pantry (was in the military and qualified on both the m16 and 9mm so I'm pretty confident with them). I do want to get a .22 but I feel good about what I have.
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

Quote Originally Posted by GypsyQ View Post
    I see no problem with being prepared for a prolonged state of emergency, be it hurricanes, power grid failures, war, or zombie apocalypse. Let's face it...3 of those are not out of the realm of possibility. Any preparation that will not go to waste is fine.
    Agreed. Thinking through emergency situations is always smart and will probably come in handy some day...even if it's not a zombie apocalypse. I actually think it's sad that people just joke about this and think people who prepare are wackos...no wonder the "preppers" have to worry about the hungry masses who have only a day's worth of food in their homes.

We are not prepared for a long-term emergency but we are working on it. We would be 100% fine if we lost power for 2 weeks or so...but have a horse watering problem....so might have to BBQ the mini in the first couple of days.

I have a great book idea for this and am tempted to to the NoNaMi thing (whatever it is) just to start flushing it out. It's an "end of the world as we know it" type saga, but it starts 10 years into a known energy crisis...so everyone has been prepping and communities are more prepared for the big event (rather than the typical novel where an EMP hits present day North America and millions of people starve to death in the first 3 weeks)...

Quote Originally Posted by S1969 View Post
    Agreed. Thinking through emergency situations is always smart and will probably come in handy some day...even if it's not a zombie apocalypse. I actually think it's sad that people just joke about this and think people who prepare are wackos...no wonder the "preppers" have to worry about the hungry masses who have only a day's worth of food in their homes.

We are not prepared for a long-term emergency but we are working on it. We would be 100% fine if we lost power for 2 weeks or so...but have a horse watering problem....so might have to BBQ the mini in the first couple of days.

I have a great book idea for this and am tempted to to the NoNaMi thing (whatever it is) just to start flushing it out. It's an "end of the world as we know it" type saga, but it starts 10 years into a known energy crisis...so everyone has been prepping and communities are more prepared for the big event (rather than the typical novel where an EMP hits present day North America and millions of people starve to death in the first 3 weeks)...
    Our running joke is that we just have to be prepared enough to survive the first die-off. Then we can settle into a homesteading-like routine.
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry and has widely been considered as a bad move." -Douglas Adams

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

Quote Originally Posted by GypsyQ View Post
    Our running joke is that we just have to be prepared enough to survive the first die-off. Then we can settle into a homesteading-like routine.
    LOVE this!!
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

I just make nice with all the Mormons we know. Hoping they will trade our converting for some of their stockpile. For those of you who don't know, a good Mormon family will have enough supplies to last for 2 years in the event of an emergency
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

I'm always surprised to hear of folks who can't access water if the power goes out and they have livestock. My neighbor went without a generator for almost a decade with 7 horses at home. Talk about buying lots of water! Ouch! She finally got a generator 3 years ago, thank goodness on the timing since we lost power twice last year for a week. Have a few friends who don't have one yet. I keep telling them it's a better purchase than that last saddle, clinic, show, etc.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte