The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Unfortunately he's quite lame. Off on left front and also looks short behind. It's too bad because he's cute.

The shortness behind could be overall body soreness but the LF is a problem.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Thanks Bogie! I was very disappointed when she jogged him and I thought he was short strided. I'm not the best at seeing lameness but I thought it didn't look quite right. I was hoping when we got undersaddle that he would feel better. I'm disappointed because he was very cute and very sweet but I didn't leave with a "I have to have him" kind of feeling. So I'm kind of bummed because it's taken a little while to get to see him and it was a 2 hr drive but thus is the nature of trying horses right? At least I'll be a little richer for a little while too! And I can save up some more and see if I can find something maybe not off the track or something that has been off for a little while and has a little work into it! And on top of that I was meeting someone from that area to try to sell a western saddle I bought my husband but didn't fit the horse and they didn't end up buying it because the stirrups didn't go short enough for him!

Yup, lame lame lame, in both videos!!

I wasn't going to say anything cause my computers graphics card is crap but... I could tell with my blurry video that he does look way off.
    Eventers of the West
    A Facebook group I created for Eventers in the West Region of the U.S.
    Remy - My OTTB Gelding! Love him to pieces!

Quote Originally Posted by Star's Ascent View Post
    So I'm kind of bummed because it's taken a little while to get to see him and it was a 2 hr drive but thus is the nature of trying horses right?
    Unfortunately, you're right. I can't even count all the times I've shown up to try a horse and discovered it was lame. Sometimes you can avoid the trip by requesting video in advance but they don't always send the ones that show the horse is off!

Good luck with your horse shopping.

I think the chestnut has some filling high on his left tendon...high suspensory??Definitely lame in video.

My shoer saw something going on too. My sister and another friend wondered if it was just an optical illusion with the socks but my shoer said he isn't distracted by them and there was something going on but he thought right front I believe. She sent me an offer for him this morning, I had told her last night I needed to think about it as I didn't have the "I HAVE to have this horse" feeling and I wanted to get opinions from a few people. When I texted her back this evening to say that my pro opinions were that I should pass this right now she said he had been sold today. So that is good for him, makes me feel better that he at least has a home. He will be showing with whoever got him. There is always the "did I make a mistake?" thought but with so many people seeing lameness, and I'm not good at seeing those kinds of things but my heart kind of fell when he jogged out and I thought it looked odd I didn't think it was worth the risk. So I'm still looking. If anyone on here is in Northern Ca and can recommend horses PM me!

I have asked for more photos of the bay, asked for confo photos of him standing more relaxed. I should get those tomorrow. Will be curious to see what comes back. The ones listed are a little weird to look at because of the haze in them also.

Why is it whenever you aren't horse and saddle shopping there is an abundance of ones that you would buy if you were in that position but as soon as you start looking they all go into hiding? There is a filly that looks remarkably like the chestnut within an hour of me, but I admit that I was kind of turned off when I found out she had an impaction colic about 4 weeks ago. It probably shouldn't, but it did. There is a really cute grey 2 yr old down south but since it's down south there is no way that I can go see it.

Ouch. Very lame.
    I'm glad he found a home, but be glad it wasn't you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickelodian View Post
    We jump horses. Over sticks. For fun.
    Never take life too seriously. Nobody makes it out alive anyway.
    Regulus RDL

Quote Originally Posted by Kryzlstoff View Post
    Ouch. Very lame.
    I'm glad he found a home, but be glad it wasn't you.
    Exactly! Your horse is still out there waiting for you.

Thanks guys! I think I have a long hunt ahead of me! Part of the problem is that I don't currently ride with a trainer. Not for lack of trying either! I've contacted 3 places up here, 2 we will talk back and forth but when it comes time for them to actually give me a day and time (or in one case just a time) I don't hear from them. This has happened multiple times and the 3rd finally did respond after trying a couple times but I have since heard some not so good things about that place! Otherwise I don't have a ton of people to take with me when I go to look at a horse that can help me with a professional opinion. My sister would have gone with me if I wanted to go down the night before, babysit her kids for 4-5 hrs (I don't do kids, as much as I love her kids, I don't do diapers and one is in diapers and it would have kept me away from my house and things I needed to do for 24 hrs instead of like 6!) while she was running because she couldn't do that at any other time during the day or on a different day. (insert eye roll)

I would keep hunting for a trainer, but in the meantime, bounce potential horses off of us.
    Multiple pairs of eyes are better than one.
    Oh, and take your time. If you settle, the horse of your dreams will pop up a week later!
    Regulus RDL

I emailed the one trainer I really want to work with again yesterday. Here are some more photos of the dark bay that I asked for.

http://s47.beta.photobucket.com/user...yrold.jpg.html

http://s47.beta.photobucket.com/user...dlegs.jpg.html

http://s47.beta.photobucket.com/user...rold2.jpg.html

I also have a couple to look at on Sat morning at a TB farm nearby. And I may still just go see this guy then also. I'll be half way there already.

It can't hurt to take a look, but I'm not sold on him.
    Not in love with his front pasterns, and he's downhill. Lots of stress on the forehand. Unimpressive hip and shoulder.
    Take lots of pics/videos of the ones you see on Saturday!
    Regulus RDL

I thought the chestnut mare you posted was cute. Appeared a bit "butt high" but i think it was just her being a bit wasp wasted. Did you get a chance to look at her?

It was actually a gelding, and we did see him, there are videos from that here in the thread. It's been agreed that he was lame and I couldn't take that kind of risk no matter how cute he is. The two I'm looking at on Sat are a 3 yr old Chestnut and a 6 yr old grey. I've looked at a horse at this TB farm before. I may also stop at tbfriends.com, which is where I got my last filly and its only 30 min from the farm. Sat's horses are a much better price too! I was surprised that the bay had pasterns like that. To me in the first photos they seemed shorter, especially compared to Kevin. He is cute so its a bummer. But it will save me a trip to the city. Too bad I'm getting an early start in the day otherwise I could go to the tack swap at Rancho Murieta. I missed the other big one this past weekend to see the other horse. I keep telling myself "I do not need more stuff, I do not need more stuff." I'm sure I can find things I don't need either way! Hmm.. There are a couple tack stores around the places on Sat...

Are you going to Victory Rose to look at horses? If you are I know someone who works there and I could get you the real story on the horses that you look at and not the one they tell buyers.

There is a super cute little bay QH mare at the barn where I ride. She's about 15.2 or so and trained western. She's four years old. I know that her owner is motivated to get her sold, so the advertised price is very flexible. TBFriends is close to my barn (we are on the east side of Woodland and he is on the west side.)

BTW I think the bay is cute.

He looks off on his rf to me. Very off. Bummer, because he's cute. ETA: I'm way off today, myself...keep missing the 2nd page. My bad.

The bay is ok...not wild about him. Straight hinds, delicate pasterns....he doesn't look like he would hold up.

You're not super far from me, and I was recently horse shopping in that area. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you want to, I might be able to point you in a few directions that could help you out.

I like the Chestnut as well. But would look at the other guy too, since you are there and that photo of him isn't the best...

Can you bring your saddle with you just to try on the Chestnut? His wither looks like it is set back. Just want to make sure you don't have any saddle fitting issues.

I am going to victory rose. I'm on the fence of if I should bother going to see the dark bay. It would save me some driving. I will pm a couple of you guys tonight when I get off work or if I can get it done from my phone. Any leads on non expensive horses are appreciated. We would kind of like to get something not tb just because of the rocks and hills up here. But I have to find one!