The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Conformation critique/comparison

So I'm on the horse hunt and am going to look at these two on Sat. (and anything else that someone wants to show me while we are there!) I'm hoping that you guys can take a look at them and tell me what you see. I'm looking for something to jump with, preferably at least 3'. Not set on Hunter or Jumper, that will just kind of depend on what the horse wants to do. So here are the two

4yr old TB colt (to be gelded)
    http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...mp/Kevin_2.jpg

3yr old (just turned 3 in May) gelding (not a great photo I know.)
    http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...yGelding1.jpeg

You're in N. CA. I think the chestnut is adorable and his ad makes him sound like an awesome horse. I think the bay might be cute in person and at 3yo he's going to change a bit. If I remember right the chestnut is with a female trainer whose name starts with an R, Riana or something like that... I've liked most of the horses she's posted.

I am partial to the chestnut, I think he's lovely

I vote chestnut! Like the build overall!

Definatley the Chestnut.... the brn/bay is very corse...I wouldn't even bother looking at him. See if you can find another!
    Aefvue Farm Ft.Lauderdale

Neither of the photos are great for confo judging but the chestnut looks like he has an overall better build. Love the way his neck ties into his wither. The bay seems to have a long back and it may be the awkward photo but a straight shoulder.

The colt is gorgeous! Have fun and good luck

Another vote for Chestnut

Chestnut. Not to mention I have always been a fool for a chessy with chrome but I don't like the angle on the dk. bay's shoulder. A little too upright for my likes and he seems a bit long.
    The chestnut looks to have a nice slope to his shoulder so he will likely have less trouble getting his legs up and out of the way, where as the bay looks like he will dangle.

Plus, I like the chessy's haunches, good angle, looks powerful.

Good luck.

Thanks guys! I've been talking to Reina about the Chestnut for a few weeks. I held off on contacting her because I wasn't in a spot really to have another horse yet but my mare found a home last week and now I can finally look! I figure we can still see the bay since we will be at GGF and I'm sure we can always find something else to look at! She has a chestnut filly also but I think she is going to be too big for me since she is already at least 16 hds. Plus she isn't as cute as Kevin. Her ad is http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?o...ings&Itemid=61
    I've been drooling over Kevin since he was posted. I don't know how he isn't gone yet. Could partly be because he is still a colt though gelding is now included. She has only had 2 people look at him. One girl was talked out of him and into finding something much bigger by her trainer (and she is apparently my size at 4'11") and the other had a vet issue with a current horse and she had to back out a couple weeks ago. So it's wide open for me! I'll be curious to see how he moves and rides. I'm trying my hardest to not get a plain bay again. My last filly was plain bay but she was love at first sight. I'm really trying to get something with chrome or not a regular bay. But I won't pass up a horse because of color, it's just a personal preference now. I'm hoping that we will maybe be able to find a few other horses to look at while we are at the tracks. My husband wants me to get something that isn't a TB this time but right now that is all I'm finding. (and can afford). I have someone that wants to possibly buy my husband's western saddle that is in the area so I might as well go to GGF, I can make a couple hundred dollars while I'm there! Oh, and I'm curious if seeing the bay in person will produce a different horse than the photos since I know sometimes the photos can be misleading but I'm not going to hold my breath!

Chestnut is a cutie! The bay really needs more weight and muscle to really tell what he will turn into - he's awfully lanky right now. Can't hurt to see him in person if you will already be there. Worst that will happen is he isn't what you want ;-) Good luck!! PS - tell Hubby that he can pick his horses to ride and you get to pick yours ;-)

Chestnut! Agree though that the bay needs some time weight and muscle to see what his true healthy self will look like though. He looks like he would be a sweetie.

I have a short video of the bay under saddle but its like 30 sec on a little circle in the barn area so not really good to see what he is really like. I figure if I show up and wave around money while at the track I might find a few more offers of horses to view. The girl that handles the bay has a couple available right now so she may have a few others that she can point me toward also.

My husband thinks that our new house is not conducive to Tb's. My filly gave herself a small tendon tear 3 days after moving up here. We are on hills and lots of huge rocks. Our back hill is short but fairly steep but it's great exercise for them! Keeps them in shape even when you aren't able to ride. Husband thinks a QH or something would be better. For the record, he doesn't really ride. Even now that we have lived on property 6 mo and have had my mare and my old man living with us. I think he has been on Thunder 2x. (the one time he hopped on my 12.1 hd pony doesn't count. Photo just cause it's funny-he was on for like 5 seconds, especially once he realized I was taking a picture!

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...99224103_n.jpg

I bought him a western saddle but it's too narrow for Thunder so I'm trying to sell it (can't return it-bought it on ebay) but he was probably never going to really ride anyway. He does think however he can give his opinion!

chestnut
    Lesmiz_07

I vote chestnut, too. Much bigger shoulder and a nice long neck.

I like the bay. I wouldn't even go look at the chestnut, his legs seem weedy. The bay has a nice frame. jmho, everybody likes different things, best to go see them in person.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

If you have cash in hand you will find something. I usually find too many :-) Reina is wonderful to buy from. I actually did not buy one of her horses but I told her what I wanted and she called me when she found it, he's the best horse I've ever owned. Go have fun and shop. Lucky you!

I think they both look like good prospects. I would look closely at the chestnut's bone...he could be rather slight. And the bay's neck is rather short. Also, I hate when people take pictures with wraps on...makes me think they're trying to hide something? But overall, they look well balanced. Oh, and I know you know this already, but I must add...do not shop based on color. In the end, it won't matter if your horse has four white knee high stockings, is completely brown or even purple. What's going to matter is if it's sane and stays sound. Happy shopping!

re: the wraps on horses in pics...

That doesn't bother me, these are race horses and they get done up after they work and cool out. Obviously you would want to see the horse in person without wraps, but I wouldn't assume they are hiding something- not in these advertising pics - the person taking the pics probably just got there too close to the "end" of morning hours when the horses have all been done up already. The exception is that if you are claiming a horse out of a race, be wary of horses that come to the paddock wrapped - often those horses have issues they are trying to hide so the horse may get claimed (then again, others just do it to keep people FROM claiming the horse, even if there is nothing wrong) LOL

I like the chestnut. Just two snips and all will be better!
    "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man." Mark Twain

So here is a video of riding Kevin today. There is music, I didn't see how I could just make it with no sound. My sister says she thinks he looks sore. He definitely needs work with bending, etc (like most race horses) What do you think?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUtMcvKiHZA

Here is a video on the jogging on the flat
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=4508185955260