The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Thumbs up Solar powered water heater

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for suggestions for a solar powered water heater. Our tubs are large rubber Rubbermaid tubs, and we don't have direct access to power.

Thanks!

Raewyn
    Braeburn Farms
    Collingwood, ON

Facebook

I don't have any suggestions, but would love to know if something like this existed. It would certainly be helpful at our barn too.

I am going to guess there's no such monkey solar's just not that efficient yet, plus you'll have short winter days to recharge it.

this guy might have some insights, though:
    http://www.motherearthnews.com/renew...er-Heater.aspx

They do exist and I think horse.com or valleyvet sells them. However, it's a whole tank unit that you have to buy and it's about $300 or something.

As an alternative, you can buy a panel and a deep cycle battery, build a box to protect battery and wires and wire a heater to it -- I've done this with a car stereo that we used for endangered species work (long story).

Google is your friend, here. Do some searching and you'll come up with dozens, if not hundreds, of possible solutions.

In looking at solar solutions, however, geography counts. What will work nicely in AZ might be a non-starter in ON.

You might also hit your local Yellow Pages (or whatever it's called there) and see if there are any shops that specialize in solar gear.

Do you have an equivalent to the U.S. system of County Extension Agents? If so then contact your local person and see what they might have in terms of plans or recommendations.

Good luck in your program.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

I have not found anything after extensive searching, but there are some things you can do to help keep water from freezing. First, use a stall mat or other insulating material under the water troughs to keep them off the ground. Heat transfer into the earth is a big loss. Build a wood frame around the water troughs, use attached hard insulation to completely surround it. Leave only a small portion of the water trough accessible during the day, and cover at night (or when no horses are in field/paddock). Information I've seen indicates this will keep water freezing in winter in Wyoming (slightly hard to believe, but I'll suspend disbelief).

If you want to take it to the next level, you use a house radiator with copper tubing that loops into the water trough (and of course out of harm's way). There is some change in temperature of the water in the loop that causes the water to circulate through the system, and the absorbed heat of the radiator will help keep the water from freezing. At least I think that's the way the engineer who wants to build me some of these explained it....

Are you truly looking for a water heater (like you use to make hot water in your house to shower and such) or are you looking for a way to keep your trough from not freezing?

This site has several ideas.

I have one. Do a search for Sun Tanks. It was pricey, but it worked. I ended up running power out by my paddocks a couple of years ago so now use a tank heater, but the Sun Tank definitely worked.

That looks REALLY good! Thanks Saddleup ... I may get a few of these...

I have a solar Bob trough from horse.com. It works well except in extreme cold. I am happy with it, and have used it about 10 years.

Cool, thanks everyone!
    Braeburn Farms
    Collingwood, ON

Facebook