The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Default What upgrade?

Is it just my Safari browser? Or is the new format hard on the eyes and looking like a giant step backward?
    Last edited by Velvet; Oct. 31, 2012 at 07:04 PM.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

4 members found this post helpful.

Nope, its awful!

3 members found this post helpful.

Yup, horrible

2 members found this post helpful.

*Whispers* I like it,
    I'm not sure if I grew out of stupid or ran out of brave.

Practicing Member of the Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine Clique

Sorry COTH, I must agree --this "upgrade" perhaps needs some more tweaking.

Not addressing the functionality, but just a couple of comments upon finding my old friend is nearly unrecognizable from her facelift.

IMHO, the font too harsh, the ads shriekingly large, the white space a poor substitute for our now familiar soothing green.

All in all, a jagged assault on the senses; as though someone sneaked into my house and replaced all my incandescent soft light bulbs and gentle reading lamps with industrial sized overhead fluorescents.

AFter a long hard day, many of us seek refuge here on this board to settle down with a glass of wine and meander lazily through the various posts--some educational, some heart wrenching, others just fun. Please don't lose the character we loved of the old face with a cold, robotic facade.

6 members found this post helpful.

I can't even look at the website from my phone any more which is annoying because 90% of my internet time is via my iPhone. In Chrome it looks okay, though I dont find it at all eye appealing and the stupid ad at the bottom pops up much more frequently now.
    Maggie Bright, lovingly known as Skye and deeply missed (1994 - 2013)
    The Blog

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

It's just...ugly. And, yes, the ads are super annoying in size. I know they need to pay the bills, but with bigger ads why are they unable to have a more clean board and interface? Seriously, I'll put up with monster sized ads (and even the UBER annoying flip up Ford truck ads on the bottom of my screen) if it means we get the old look back. It was clean and easy on the eyes. This looks like a board for tweens now.

Then again, maybe that's the target market and all DQs be damned.

My first thought when coming out here was to quote Penny on "The Big Bang Theory"...holy crap on a cracker!
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

1 members found this post helpful.

I think maybe if the did what a lot of other boards due where the ads are between posts maybe it would feel a little better. On my phone I can't even read half of the post usually because the ads will be overlapping it.
    The Blog

Yes, very harsh on the eyes! We always get a bit grouchy with change...but this truly is uncomfortable for me! Sorry mods...Maybe we will adapt???
    "My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sunlight and nicker to me in the night"

Not terribly happy with it, and it's not compatible with Google Chrome on my home computer (it's fine at work...) I suspect this new version goes wonky if you have any sort of pop-up blocker active. Which is pretty harsh, really.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

i have pop up blockers, ad blockers, cookie blockers, do not track - you name it and the site works fine.

i am not fond of the new "tweeny" feel but hey...... i am always in the minority.....

Every time they do this, it gets worse. I finally adjusted to the last "upgrade" and now this. Red type? Really? What's next, knockout type on a red background?
    The aids are the legs, the hands, the weight of the rider, the whip, the caress, the voice and the use of extraneous circumstances. ~ General Decarpentry
    www.reflectionsonriding.com

I hate it. I particularly hate the fact that the thread title on the main board is now almost the same size and font weight as the name of the person who posted it. It's really hard now to scan the board to see subjects I'm interested in.

As a person who writes and designs apps for a living, I can't for the life of me figure out why someone would make the most important information so hard to distinguish from the supporting data.
    Savannah Custom Scrapbook Design. For horses...and people, too!
    www.savannahscrapbooks.com
    www.thislifeblog.com

2 members found this post helpful.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

I don't mind the new font although the red is kind of hard on the eyes. But I installed AdBlock after it became clear that those pop up ads weren't going away, and I have to say that it greatly enhances the site experience.

I do feel badly about contributing to the loss of eyeballs that this will mean for COTH, as I understand that the board has to be paid for somehow. And I actually do miss the (static) ads that I used to see and frequently click through to on the right side of the page. But those truck ads were just too intrusive.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Oh my ... this is disconcerting. I didn't SEE the up-down thumbs or red text until I went to what is now "SETTINGS" and purchased a premium membership.

I thought it would be a nice show of support before I add my voice to the "not likes". It's not just what we got used to, the thread listings in the forum are very discouraging. If nothing else can be re-adjusted, please please go back to the sensible layout of thread listings.

Oh, and update the instructions for premium membership purchase

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...res-to-my-post
    Last edited by AllWeatherGal; Nov. 1, 2012 at 08:49 AM. Reason: edited to add: didn't mean to imply the change happened because I just purchased a membership, but because everything refresh
    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=
    Dressage becomes art when it is a joy for the horse. -KBH

Mighty Thoroughbred Clique Now on Facebook ... ... show the loff

I can see the up/down thumbs and I am not a premium member.
    The Blog

I don't like the red type at all. Wonder what it looks like if someone is red/green colorblind?

Also, for some reason I am finding that I am skipping past the navigation buttons and have to actually search for them. Are they in a different place, or just not as visible as before?
    Last edited by betonbill; Nov. 1, 2012 at 09:02 AM. Reason: adding to content

Agree, it hurts my eyes! MediaMD sums it up well!

I have to agree, the new format stinks. I haven't been on the site since I lost power on Monday. Why did you change? If it stays this way I won't be visiting the forum that much.

Thumbs down

I am really missing the old feature of clicking a button at the top of the front page that had links to all of the threads in all of the forums that I had posted on. I used that feature quite a bit, and I don't often have time to sift through everything and locate the threads that I had posted to and was following. If there is another way to find that information on this new format, I haven't found it yet.

Okay, I see it now. I have to click on my own screen name which is a link to my profile, activity, etc. etc.

Carry on.
    Last edited by Eclectic Horseman; Nov. 1, 2012 at 12:49 PM. Reason: figured it out
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller