The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

My personal favorite is the Luc Childeric model M, best saddle I have ever sat in! Unfortunately not a good fit for my horse.

I also love my Devoucoux Socoa as it rides just like the Childeric but is a better fit for my horse.

Then I have a Tad Coffin TC2 with Smart Ride that I like a lot and I think my horse likes it, but I'll need to ride in it a bit more to make a decision. I love it and it's comfortable, but ultimately its my horse that makes the decision which ones stay or go!

I've tried Butet, CWD, Black Country, Childeric, Devoucoux, Antares, Tad Coffin.. all with front and back blocks and I've never noticed the thigh blocks honestly.

The main two I ride in are the Antares and Vega. I have a long femur, the Antares is custom, the Vega is not. Both fit super.

I love my Antares. More than anything. I live in that saddle.

"Cons? They're not an 'in' brand."

Personally, I think this is a "pro"! It's quite easy to find used models at cheap prices.

I'm a life-long Stubben fan. I love their quality. They do custom saddles for those who want that, and they are making a real effort with their newer models to accommodate what's popular now.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

I have a long thigh too. I have two used Devoucouxs. One is a Socoa with an 18" seat and a 3 (long) flap. The other is an Oldara with a 17.5" seat and a 3A (long/forward). I like the Socoa, the balance is really nice, but the twist is a little too narrow for me (I have scrawny/flat thighs and I don't get enough support) and the flap a little too straight. The stirrup bars on the Oldara are a bit more forward than on the Socoa, so the balance isn't as perfect, but the flap fits my leg better and the twist, though certainly not wide, is a bit more supportive and comfortable.

Now is a good time to buy used saddles, the prices are relatively low right now, they'll probably go up in the Spring and there will be more competition for the popular used models.

I love my Bruno Delgrange Virtuose. I am biased but I loved the saddle before I became the rep so I am not just "drinking the cool aide".

I agree with the posts above. You should ride in everything you can get your hands on. When you ride in the right one you will know.

Saddle fit is important but with the fabulous pads available today you can help an OK saddle fit. Most of the higher quality saddles with regular tree and panels will fit most horses.

With your longer thigh you might also want to consider going up a seat size. I have a few clients who preferred this option to a forward flap to accommodate their thigh but it is a matter of personal preference.

Good luck in your saddle search

I too have a long thigh and I just got a Circuit Premier Special Eq - it was the only thing in my price range that had a fwd flap, and I didn't have time to hunt used in hopes of something coming up that fit my thigh. I couldn't be happier - the thing is gorgeous, fits me SO well, and really feels/looks like something 2x the price.

I also have a Smith Worthington Avalon fwd flap that I've had for 20 years and I adore that thing too, but was starting to find the seat a little too deep for me for jumping, but that's personal pref - you can't go wrong w/ a SW, IMO.

2011 Bates Elavation, wonderful versatile saddle on a budget.

Current saddle is a 2009 Antares custom that I got used. I LOFF it. I have thigh blocks, but don't notice much of a difference. The deep seat is secure but doesn't make me feel trapped.
    Pros:
    - Superb balance
    - Comfy as hell, even after hours-long trail rides
    - Paired with a Mattes correction pad, it's fit every horse I've put it on so far.
    - Antareses hold their value well
    Cons:
    - Price
    - When I'm out of shape, the pommel can bother me during no-stirrups work. But that's less the saddle's fault than mine for being too weak to post properly.

My old saddle was a 1996 original Delgrange. I also LOFFed that saddle, but it did not fit my new horse and it was at the point that it needed a lot of work so I moved to my Antares. My old trainer had a newer PJ which I also LOFFed. I love the deep seats on the PJs, they are secure without making you feel trapped and the pommel is never in the way.

I also like the Devoucoux Biarritz, but decided to go with Antares since they have much better customer service, should my saddle ever need work. If you think you want a Devoucoux, PLEASE search the forums for all the horror stories. I have an acquaintance who had a horrible time getting a saddle for her horse from, and acquaintance's trainer was a BNT who is SPONSORED by them, and the horse said saddle was for is BNT's former GP superstar!!

Saddles I have liked in the past:
    - OLD Pessoas, the ones made in England. I spent the whole of the 90's in those saddles.
    - Older Bevals
    - Albion jump saddle.

Saddles I hate:
    - County. Uncomfortable and the balance doesn't work for me.
    - Tad Coffin. Constantly fighting to get in the right position.
    - Stubbens. Crotch-busters.
    - Wintecs. See: chair seat.
    friend of bar.ka

I have a Smith Worthington S bar W. LOVE it. I had a 15 hand Welsh/Holstiner and he was built like a barrel, so I had the worst time finding a saddle to fit him. Smith Worthington had a demo set at XX Wide in the tree, and it fit him perfectly, so I wound up buying the demo.

I just bought my daughter a Smith Worthigton Mystic. She has an incredibly long leg, thigh and calf, but is very, very thin, and needed a 15" seat. After trying just about every saddle ever made, especially the expensive french custom ones, I wound up with a Smith Worthington again. The saddle fits a variety of ponies and the regular flap, not the extra forward, is forward enough for her long leg. All of their new saddles have more forward flaps.

They are great saddle fitters and will really work with you to make a saddle perfect. I love their customer service.

I have a 10yo Pessoa AO that I LOVE and you will pry out of my cold dead hands.
    Busy Bee Farm, Ellijay, GA
    Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly
    Way Back Texas~04/20/90-09/17/08
    Green Alligator "Captain"

FYI: Whoa! I just popped over to SW's site, and the exact Avalon model I have is on HUGE sale: http://www.smithworthington.com/inde...product&id=554

I seriously cannot recommend this saddle enough!

I have 2 Smith Worthington Stoneleigh AOs and love them -- so do my horses. The balance is impeccable for a long-legged rider. So many saddles put you in a chair seat if you have a long femur -- this saddle does not, and it isn't very deep in the seat either. It was made to be the SW version of a Pessoa AO, with wool flocking and a semi-cutback head so it fits pretty much everything.

They do require some break-in as they are good solid leather, but last forever. My first is 17 years old; I recently bought its identical twin with a wider tree on superclearance: http://www.smithworthington.com/inde...product&id=468

They aren't the sleekest thing from the pics but my trainers always want to buy my saddle after they sit in it.

I often rave about these saddles but they really are the best deal around right now for the tall, long-legged, impossible to fit rider.

I have a PJ that is like a couch to sit in but I like the balance of the SWs better.

Quote Originally Posted by ako View Post
    Yes. She got a free cap and a tiny bit off a demo she bought. We are a small barn and Antares sells one of us maybe a saddle every 1.5 years so if you think she's making out, you're confusing her with somebody else...
    Some saddle companies do offer significant discounts to trainers who sell saddles to their students. My former trainer one day woke up and had the bug for a certain saddle brand and would not stop talking about them and pushing them on people. It was very strange as previously she didn't seem to give 1/2 a thought to saddle brands. If it fit, she was happy. Then out of nowhere she couldn't stop talking about a specific brand. I spoke with the rep. The rep told me my trainer was signed up for a program where she could get a free saddle if enough of her students bought them. HUGE TURNOFF to find that out (and not to have known that was motivating the sudden love for all things made by that brand). It didn't leave a good taste in my mouth about the brand either, since they go on and on about how it's all about the fit-- but apparently it's a lot about the sales too

I have two H/J saddles that I currently ride in-- Black Country and Ideal. Both were fit by independent fitters and are wool flocked. I'm happy with both. The quality on the BC especially is outstanding for the price. Both were, brand new with bells and whistles, less than 1/2 the price of a trendy brand.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

DG Stackhouse. LOVE it.

Good luck with your search!

1 members found this post helpful.

I have a Reactor Panel. Both my horse and I love it. When the kids ride him, they like it too.
    \"Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it.\" Anne of Green Gables

I have a flat seat Richard Castelow that I wouldn't get rid of for all the money in the world. It fits me amazingly and puts me in the best position. I used to have a custom Antares that I never could get myself to like. Lovely saddle but way too cushy and I was constantly fighting to get my leg in the right position with. I also like Tad Coffins and recently sat in a Childeric that was great, too.
    Last edited by AndNirina; Nov. 1, 2012 at 09:21 PM.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    Some saddle companies do offer significant discounts to trainers who sell saddles to their students. My former trainer one day woke up and had the bug for a certain saddle brand and would not stop talking about them and pushing them on people. It was very strange as previously she didn't seem to give 1/2 a thought to saddle brands. If it fit, she was happy. Then out of nowhere she couldn't stop talking about a specific brand. I spoke with the rep. The rep told me my trainer was signed up for a program where she could get a free saddle if enough of her students bought them. HUGE TURNOFF to find that out (and not to have known that was motivating the sudden love for all things made by that brand). It didn't leave a good taste in my mouth about the brand either, since they go on and on about how it's all about the fit-- but apparently it's a lot about the sales too

I have two H/J saddles that I currently ride in-- Black Country and Ideal. Both were fit by independent fitters and are wool flocked. I'm happy with both. The quality on the BC especially is outstanding for the price. Both were, brand new with bells and whistles, less than 1/2 the price of a trendy brand.

Love the Black Countrys.
    I also love the Albions.

I recommend my saddle fitter and the saddles she sells to every single one of my customers (not everyone buys from her in the end and that's fine) and receive ZERO perks for it.
    I just like the quality, customer service and expertise she provides, and the reasonable price she charges, and recommend accordingly.

I have no problem with a trainer recommending a saddle or fitter-- but if the trainer is getting a substantial kickback, I want to know that going in.

Albions are super too, I almost went with Albion over Black Country-- they are almost equal in my book. My butt slightly preferred the Quantum.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I recently got a Collegiate Diploma close contact and love it! But I am not much help because I am short and do not need much of a forward flap.

Quote Originally Posted by chardo84 View Post
    DG Stackhouse. LOVE it.

Good luck with your search!
    I've got one of those that I love as well! Mine hasn't fit my horse in 4 years though (he got fat and muscular), but I can't part with it, haha.
    I've now got a Tad Coffin A5G2 and I love that saddle so much. My horse goes super well in it and I've found that I much prefer the flatter, less padded seat compared to my Stackhouse. The Stackhouse is like a couch but idk, I really like the closer contact feel that my TC has compared to the Stackhouse.