The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 

View Poll Results: Who are you voting for? (answers kept private)

Voters
417. You may not vote on this poll
  • Barack Obama

    259 62.11%
  • Mitt Romney

    130 31.18%
  • Other

    28 6.71%
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 191
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Feb. 22, 2000
    Location
    passepartout
    Posts
    10,074

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BasqueMom View Post
    Vaginal ultrasounds are standard procedure for abortions to confirm the age of the fetus so the docs know what they are dealing with.
    This is not correct. SOP is with the transducer on the abdomen, not vaginally.


    6 members found this post helpful.

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Jan. 26, 2010
    Posts
    5,942

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    It's amazing to me that the same people that are hammering Romney for a remark about "47% of the population" , are willing to vote for a candidate based on an issue about a body part that about 50% of the population doesn't have. screw the economy, that would affect both sexes...just want to vote based on free birth control and the minute possibility of abortion laws ever being tightened...
    It amazes me that some people are hammering other people thinking that the "47%" is the ONLY problem with Romney, and think that women are SO stupid, that they only vote for their reproductive rights and free birth control.

    It amazes me that some people are hammering other people for a supposed "few" select things and ignoring EVERYTHING else and taking it out of context (sort of like the whole R campaign--we built it ALL by ourselves!) They ignore the refusal to release tax returns, the offshore bank accounts, the moral bankruptcy of being OK with paying 13% tax because it's legal, pretending earned income is being taxed twice, ignoring that his own state will NOT vote for him, he lied about not taking government handouts for the Olympics, lies about EVERYTHING, and you just need to youtube him to find an opposite answer, made $10 million from Bain by getting money from auto bailout he condemned, can NOt explain fake plan to reduce taxes and the deficit, wants more war, yet changes his mind in the debate, bankrupted an Illinois town because it was good business http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grQTu...ature=youtu.be. . .


    15 members found this post helpful.

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2007
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    40,860

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beentheredonethat View Post
    Basque--Sorry to hear about your business. It's a new reality that is the world. We can't live in a place where everyone gets richer and richer, and horses are part of that.

    I hope for your sake Romney doesn't get it and start making things worse by increasing the debt, getting into more wars, and reducing income.

    Some parts of Islam don't treat women well, but not any worse than some right wing Christians. (I know a LOT of Muslims.) The willingness to pass laws to take away rights of women is something even Muslim extremists aren't doing. I think women are a LOT concerned about someone making laws about what they can do with their body and being OK with paying for Viagra, but not birth control. Making a bigger population that cant'be cared for does not create jobs.
    I wonder, have you ever been to another country, ever been to a muslim country, or are you basing your ideas of what they are in what you read, documentaries and hearsay?

    I ask because your idealized view of muslim societies don't seem to quite reflect the reality I know.


    5 members found this post helpful.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Sep. 16, 1999
    Location
    Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique
    Posts
    9,143

    Default

    I refused to watch any of the debates because of the black-out of including 3rd party candidates. What good is a debate if not everyone is allowed in?? However after reading the "fact check" articles afterwards, NO ONE who is voting for Romney or Obama can take the high road on lying. BOTH candidates were mentioned as outright lying or exaggerating the facts, whether intentional or not.

    Why can't we just agree.... both are liars, both want bigger government in our lives (just a slight difference on how).
    ************
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

    "Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike


    1 members found this post helpful.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Aug. 3, 2004
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    3,823

    Default

    I am voting for Obama because my wife has taken a federal job in another state and at the moment I can't move to be with her because she can't cover me on her health plan because our California marriage is not recognized federally. So I am staying here because my job provides health care.
    A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton


    6 members found this post helpful.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Aug. 27, 2008
    Posts
    391

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    It's amazing to me that the same people that are hammering Romney for a remark about "47% of the population" , are willing to vote for a candidate based on an issue about a body part that about 50% of the population doesn't have. screw the economy, that would affect both sexes...just want to vote based on free birth control and the minute possibility of abortion laws ever being tightened...
    You are actually very wrong with your last sentence and that is what truly frightens me as a woman. So many people are so sure that Roe v. Wade won't be overturned and that abortion laws really won't be changed but there have been multiple states that have tightened their laws to the detriment of women and their reproductive rights. You seriously don't think that there is a chance of losing those rights when R's have so adamantly gone after them in the last few years? I make enough money that I would benefit from a lot of tax breaks and loopholes that would help me keep more money in my pocket. I will never under any circumstances however stand beside a party that so clearly is attacking women's rights to do what is best for them. A lot of those law makers are against abortion in ALL cases. How would you feel if you're 5 months pregnant and are diagnosed with cancer? You would have no choice but to sacrifice your own life for that baby. Now maybe you would choose to do that but maybe you have other kids that would be without a mom. The right to choose is much bigger than just "irresponsible" women who didn't prepare for some random night of passion. Either way, some old man making those choices for me is never acceptable.


    15 members found this post helpful.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Nov. 4, 2003
    Location
    Sanger, TX, USA
    Posts
    4,901

    Default

    BTDT, why should we have to accept your new reality that people can't have horses. Yeah, they aren't a necessity for living and breathing, but those of us that have them consider them essential to our well being. That's why we give up
    so many other things to keep them a part of our lives. And for many who love hores, it is also how they make living. Often a living that it is not as good as one in other fields, but one that brings them joy and satisfaction.

    But it's not just horses...why should people accept they can't attain their dream,
    whatever it is? That wanting more than life's basics and keeping enough of your income to do that is bad?

    I don't like the "new norm" and neither should anyone else. The more government inserts itself into our lives, the less we have.


    4 members found this post helpful.

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Nov. 4, 2003
    Location
    Sanger, TX, USA
    Posts
    4,901

    Default

    Lizthenag,

    Can you not move and Cobra your health insurance until you find another job with coverage after you get there? And after that, purchase out of pocket if necessary. Would that not be cheaper than maintaining two households plus travel expenses?


    1 members found this post helpful.

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Apr. 3, 2003
    Location
    Up the creek from bar.ka
    Posts
    10,036

    Default

    I'm voting for Aeros! His campaign slogan is "Vote for a horse, not a horse's ass!"


    1 members found this post helpful.

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Dec. 21, 2008
    Location
    Longing to be where I once was.....
    Posts
    2,190

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    So is poll, I think.

    English is such a tricky language to spell.
    That is why they have spelling bees.
    You are right Bluey! I saw that and had a blonde, almost AARP aged episode and couldn't remember what it was! Thank goodness for spell check.



  11. #51
    Join Date
    Jan. 29, 2000
    Location
    ~the back of my horse, where the view is best!
    Posts
    4,139

    Default

    I am not so much in favour of Obama as I am totally against Romney. I am an independent so I vote on issues and character, not party line.

    For those women who don't think our rights as women are being infringed upon by the Retardicans, guess again. Aside from a gross lack of knowledge on women's physiology and reproductive systems (Rape does not lead to conception), the Republican Party somehow thinks they know what is best for all women under all circumstances, and theirs is an unyielding position and based on Personal RELIGIOUS beliefs. I will NOT tolerate anyone's religion dictating political decisions that affect me. Mitt has stated that given the opportunity, he would overturn Roe v Wade. All he has to do is nominate 5 SC Justices who agree with his beliefs and guess what, Ladies? We're back to back alley abortions.

    Obama isn't perfect, but Romney is going around trying to incite a panic by telling the auto workers that Obama bailed out the auto industry so he could ship their jobs to China.

    To me, one's past performance is a key to future performance. There is one state in the Union that has a singularly unique perspective on the elections this year. That state is Massachusetts. What is unique about their position? They are the only state who knows what it is like under the leadership of both Romney and Obama. Given a choice between the two, they aren't picking Romney.... ask yourself why.

    Could it be that the state of Mass went from ranking 34th in job growth at the beginning of Willard's term as Gov. to 47th? Yet he says he has a plan to grow jobs. Well, his track record says otherwise. Plus in his own personal business dealings , he EXPORTED jobs to China.

    Massachusetts lagged behind the nation as a whole in certain areas of the economy — jobs, home values and family incomes — while Romney was in office.
    Some economic conditions deteriorated for Massachusetts during the candidate’s last year in office, as is the case with home values and family income.

    "Romney took office in 2003 with the nationwide economy still in the slump that followed the tech bust and September 11. Unemployment was rising, in Massachusetts and nationally, and job growth was stagnant. During Romney's term, these trends reversed. Unemployment declined and jobs began to rebound. But they did so in Massachusetts at a slower rate than most other states, with the result that, over the course of his governorship, the Bay State was 47th in the nation in terms of job creation. "

    As for the 47% comment, and those of you who don't think it is a legitimate concern, thnk again. Mitt has stated that he is not concerned about the 47% of the US who are parasites. He is only worried about the people who will get him elected. BUT, once elected (if that were to happen), he will ignore those who helped him get elected in favour of his personal agenas. It's all about Mitt.

    Oh he wouldn't do that! Well, he did it in Massachusetts....

    "By his third year in office, it was apparent Romney's priorities lay elsewhere. He turned against abortion rights and took stands against stem-cell research and gay marriage, and began turning up in states like Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina. In those appearances, he frequently made jokes at the expense of his own state as he tried to win favor with conservatives. By the end of his governorship, his approval rating had declined to a dismal 39 percent.

    "Once he decided to run for president, his consitutency changed. The people of Massachusetts, most of whom weren't particularly interested in his presidential campaign, weren't his constituency anymore," Linsky said. "Everything he did was oriented toward positioning himself for his next challenge."


    If this man gets elected, you can bet your bottom dollar that once he is in office, he one give a damn about anyone or anything in this country unless he personally benefits from it. THAT is what Willard Mitt Romney's track record has said about him, and a leopard doesn't change his spots.


    6 members found this post helpful.

  12. #52
    Join Date
    Jan. 26, 2010
    Posts
    5,942

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    I wonder, have you ever been to another country, ever been to a muslim country, or are you basing your ideas of what they are in what you read, documentaries and hearsay?

    I ask because your idealized view of muslim societies don't seem to quite reflect the reality I know.
    I've been to a LOT of Muslim countries, all over the world, and spent considerable time. My SO is from a communist country that slaughtered Muslims and consider them less than human. I live in an area with Muslims, Buddhists, Jews, and one of everything. I teach Muslim kids daily. I talk to their parents who have fled extremist countries, and my neighbors are from them, too.

    I find nutty extremist Muslims a lot like nutty extremist Christians, KKers, and anyone else.


    5 members found this post helpful.

  13. #53
    Join Date
    Jan. 26, 2010
    Posts
    5,942

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BasqueMom View Post
    BTDT, why should we have to accept your new reality that people can't have horses. Yeah, they aren't a necessity for living and breathing, but those of us that have them consider them essential to our well being. That's why we give up
    so many other things to keep them a part of our lives. And for many who love hores, it is also how they make living. Often a living that it is not as good as one in other fields, but one that brings them joy and satisfaction.

    But it's not just horses...why should people accept they can't attain their dream,
    whatever it is? That wanting more than life's basics and keeping enough of your income to do that is bad?

    I don't like the "new norm" and neither should anyone else. The more government inserts itself into our lives, the less we have.
    Who said the new norm is not having horses? The new norm is REALITY in that, as ADULTS, we have to accept that we can't have everything and get our "dreams" and make millions because we're so great or we work so hard. If we all manage to be a little more moderate, have our horses, but not have to buy a new car every few years, or spend that much on clothes, or have ALL the new electronic devices, or whatever, we'll all be happier and more stable living a good life without spending it trying to get more and better of everything.

    I'm actually quite happy with my older car and nto having a 100 inch flat screen, and actually think it's a GOOD trade off to make sure the roads and bridges are in good shape, everyone has health care, and everyone can get a good education. You may not feel that way. Because I have my horses, I cut in other areas because, I don't need all and the best of everything. Stuff doesn't make my life worthwhile.


    3 members found this post helpful.

  14. #54
    Join Date
    Jan. 26, 2010
    Posts
    5,942

    Default

    creiseda--Well said. I, too, and an independent, and have never voted party, until now. Tea Party nuts scare me.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  15. #55
    Join Date
    Mar. 9, 2006
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    1,740

    Default

    And for this reason, I early voted for Johnson. We need CHOICES!!!

    eta: my quote didn't show up, so my answer looks funny. I was agreeing with those lamenting 3rd party viability.
    From now on, ponyfixer, i'll include foot note references.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  16. #56
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2007
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    40,860

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beentheredonethat View Post
    Who said the new norm is not having horses? The new norm is REALITY in that, as ADULTS, we have to accept that we can't have everything and get our "dreams" and make millions because we're so great or we work so hard. If we all manage to be a little more moderate, have our horses, but not have to buy a new car every few years, or spend that much on clothes, or have ALL the new electronic devices, or whatever, we'll all be happier and more stable living a good life without spending it trying to get more and better of everything.

    I'm actually quite happy with my older car and nto having a 100 inch flat screen, and actually think it's a GOOD trade off to make sure the roads and bridges are in good shape, everyone has health care, and everyone can get a good education. You may not feel that way. Because I have my horses, I cut in other areas because, I don't need all and the best of everything. Stuff doesn't make my life worthwhile.
    So you think everyone should live the way you think they should live, because you say so?
    Down to the size TV and car they ought to drive?

    Now that is scary.


    3 members found this post helpful.

  17. #57
    Join Date
    Jan. 26, 2010
    Posts
    5,942

    Default

    No, I think everyone should get out of this mentality that they "deserve" so much just because they're so wonderful and work so hard. That's a child's view of the world--all about me. We need to act like adults and take care of our lives, which includes taking care of those and all that is around us.

    I find it scary an adult thinks stuff is more important than people. SUCH an 80's attitude of more and more stuff and inflation that got us where we are.

    And, yeah, I think having a 100 inch tv is pretty offensive as is driving a Hummer. Wow.


    4 members found this post helpful.

  18. #58
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2007
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    40,860

    Default

    Got this in an email about not forgetting to go vote.
    Don't know if Cosby really said that, but here it is, take from it what you want.
    Just more added to the pot in this discussion:


    ---"Bill Cosby's "I'm 83 and I'm Tired"


    "I'm 83 and I'm Tired"

    I'm 83. Except for a brief period in the 50's, when I was doing my National Service, I've worked hard since I was 17. Except for some serious health challenges, I put in 50-hour weeks, and didn't call in sick in nearly 40 years. I made a reasonable salary, but I didn't inherit my job or my income, and I worked to get where I am. Given the economy, it looks as though retirement was a bad idea, and I'm tired.
    I'm tired of being told that I have to "spread the wealth" to people who don't have my work ethic. I'm tired of being told the government will take the money I earned, by force if necessary, and give it to people too lazy to earn it for themselves.

    I'm tired of being told that Islam is a "Religion of Peace," when every day I can read dozens of stories of Muslim men killing their sisters, wives, and daughters for their family "honor"; of Muslims rioting over some slight offense; of Muslims murdering Christians and Jews because they aren't "believers"; of Muslims burning schools for girls; of Muslims stoning teenage rape victims to death for "adultery"; of Muslims mutilating the genitals of little girls; all in the name of Allah, because the Qur'an and Sharia law tells them to.

    I'm tired of being told that out of "tolerance for other cultures" we must let Saudi Arabia and other Arab countries use our oil money to fund mosques and madrassa Islamic schools to preach hate in Australia, New Zealand, UK, America and Canada, while no one from these countries are allowed to fund a church, synagogue or religious school in Saudi Arabia or any other Arab country to teach love and tolerance..

    I'm tired of being told I must lower my living standard to fight global warming, which no one is allowed to debate.

    I'm tired of being told that drug addicts have a disease, and I must help support and treat them, and pay for the damage they do. Did a giant germ rush out of a dark alley, grab them, and stuff white powder up their noses or stick a needle in their arm while they tried to fight it off?

    I'm tired of hearing wealthy athletes, entertainers and politicians of all parties talking about innocent mistakes, stupid mistakes or youthful mistakes, when we all know they think their only mistake was getting caught. I'm tired of people with a sense of entitlement, rich or poor.

    I'm really tired of people who don't take responsibility for their lives and actions. I'm tired of hearing them blame the government, or discrimination, or big-whatever for their problems.

    I'm also tired and fed up with seeing young men and women in their teens and early 20's be-deck themselves in tattoos and face studs, thereby making themselves un-employable and claiming money from the Government.

    Yes, I'm damn tired. But I'm also glad to be 83? because, mostly, I'm not going to have to see the world these people are making. I'm just sorry for my granddaughter and their children. Thank God I'm on the way out and not on the way in.

    This is your chance to make a difference."---


    6 members found this post helpful.

  19. #59
    Join Date
    Aug. 4, 2011
    Posts
    1,668

    Default

    Gallup and Rasmussen polls have Romney taking the electoral map with over 300 electoral votes.

    GO Romney/Ryan !!!!!!


    1 members found this post helpful.

  20. #60
    Join Date
    Mar. 1, 2003
    Location
    Happily in Canada
    Posts
    4,859

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Got this in an email about not forgetting to go vote.
    Don't know if Cosby really said that, but here it is, take from it what you want.
    Just more added to the pot in this discussion:


    ---"Bill Cosby's "I'm 83 and I'm Tired"


    "I'm 83 and I'm Tired"

    I'm 83. Except for a brief period in the 50's, when I was doing my National Service, I've worked hard since I was 17. Except for some serious health challenges, I put in 50-hour weeks, and didn't call in sick in nearly 40 years. I made a reasonable salary, but I didn't inherit my job or my income, and I worked to get where I am. Given the economy, it looks as though retirement was a bad idea, and I'm tired.
    I'm tired of being told that I have to "spread the wealth" to people who don't have my work ethic. I'm tired of being told the government will take the money I earned, by force if necessary, and give it to people too lazy to earn it for themselves.

    I'm tired of being told that Islam is a "Religion of Peace," when every day I can read dozens of stories of Muslim men killing their sisters, wives, and daughters for their family "honor"; of Muslims rioting over some slight offense; of Muslims murdering Christians and Jews because they aren't "believers"; of Muslims burning schools for girls; of Muslims stoning teenage rape victims to death for "adultery"; of Muslims mutilating the genitals of little girls; all in the name of Allah, because the Qur'an and Sharia law tells them to.

    I'm tired of being told that out of "tolerance for other cultures" we must let Saudi Arabia and other Arab countries use our oil money to fund mosques and madrassa Islamic schools to preach hate in Australia, New Zealand, UK, America and Canada, while no one from these countries are allowed to fund a church, synagogue or religious school in Saudi Arabia or any other Arab country to teach love and tolerance..

    I'm tired of being told I must lower my living standard to fight global warming, which no one is allowed to debate.

    I'm tired of being told that drug addicts have a disease, and I must help support and treat them, and pay for the damage they do. Did a giant germ rush out of a dark alley, grab them, and stuff white powder up their noses or stick a needle in their arm while they tried to fight it off?

    I'm tired of hearing wealthy athletes, entertainers and politicians of all parties talking about innocent mistakes, stupid mistakes or youthful mistakes, when we all know they think their only mistake was getting caught. I'm tired of people with a sense of entitlement, rich or poor.

    I'm really tired of people who don't take responsibility for their lives and actions. I'm tired of hearing them blame the government, or discrimination, or big-whatever for their problems.

    I'm also tired and fed up with seeing young men and women in their teens and early 20's be-deck themselves in tattoos and face studs, thereby making themselves un-employable and claiming money from the Government.

    Yes, I'm damn tired. But I'm also glad to be 83? because, mostly, I'm not going to have to see the world these people are making. I'm just sorry for my granddaughter and their children. Thank God I'm on the way out and not on the way in.

    This is your chance to make a difference."---
    Except for the very last line - what a load of baloney.
    Blugal

    You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng


    2 members found this post helpful.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 11
    Last Post: Jun. 28, 2012, 09:41 AM
  2. Please vote for us!
    By akhunterrider in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Oct. 18, 2011, 05:31 PM
  3. Vote for WEG!
    By caryledee in forum Off Course
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Aug. 10, 2011, 08:46 AM
  4. Vote for me!!
    By farmgirl88 in forum Off Course
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Feb. 18, 2010, 06:57 PM
  5. VOTE!
    By Louise in forum Favorites
    Replies: 170
    Last Post: Nov. 12, 2000, 03:06 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •