The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Paddock/Muck Boots for Warm Weather and Wide Feet

I cannot seem to find a good slip-on muck shoe or boot. The weather here is normally warm to hot and very dry. I need something I can keep in my car trunk that is quick to slip on when I stop at the horses, and has either steel toes, leather, or heavy-duty construction that can stand up to a horse stepping on my foot. Because the ground gets dry and dusty here, I would like something like a short boot to protect my pants from the dust and muck and splashes if I'm emptying water tubs.

So the problem I have is that I have really high insteps and I can't easily slip on the rubber work boots I find. If I buy them big enough to slip on, I'm wearing clown shoes that are way too big for my feet. Also, the ones I have found at the normal stores like Target, Walmart, and the tack/feed stores tend to come only in regular widths and I need wide. I want slip ons because they are easy.

I notice that a lot of people wear clogs at horse shows when they take off their riding boots, but I feel unprotected with my heel and achilles tendon exposed, and then there's the dust-on-my-pants thing.

Any recommendations?

I have wide feet and high insteps and find the Ariat Barnyards (with elastic gores) super comfortable. They are not only my barn and horse show shoes (they have steel toes) but I've worn them on prolonged birdwatching expeditions requiring lots of walking.