The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Grey Mare, Yellow Tail

I have a new grey horse that just came into the barn. She came with a very stained, orange-yellow tail which we are trying to get white again. We have been washing with quicsilver and that has been working well. However, it is still a bit yellow. Any suggestions on how we can take it from yellow back to pure white? TIA!
    Eight Fences Farm. Mansfield, MA

I use Woollite, been a favorite of mine for a long time.

Wash it with dish-soap. If its still yellow, than its too stained and I don't think you'll get a perfect look unless you dye it - btw, I have dyed a horse's tail with women dye and it worked without any bad reactions from the horse.

get a blue blob for toilets put it in warm water and let it disolve a bit then take it out and add fairy liquid or washing up liquid wash tail and rinse well

will be white as white

1 members found this post helpful.

Try Pert Plus shampoo.

A local lady who has show oxen (red & white holsteins) always has their white legs WHITE. And I mean, they reflect sunlight!

I asked her how she possibly gets them that white, and she said "Pert Plus shampoo...I've used it for years"
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Before you wash it, soak it in white vinegar for about 20 minutes.

thanks everyone. I have dyed black tails w hair dye and it worked well. Any suggestions on dying a white tail? What color/brand?

My friend swear by using oxiclean - dissolve in warm water and soak the tail (will probably have to do repeated dunkings). Then wash with a regular horse shampoo and condition well. Conditioner helps the hair not soak up the urine.

http://www.folica.com/hair-color/tem...FYuZ4AodAGIANw

I have used this many times. It really helps the hair to look whiter.

It won't show it's full effect until the tail is dry.

Quote Originally Posted by goeslikestink View Post
    get a blue blob for toilets put it in warm water and let it disolve a bit then take it out and add fairy liquid or washing up liquid wash tail and rinse well

will be white as white
    Eek! I wouldn't recommend this- toilet bluing is dangerous!!! its caustic and will cause chemical burns to her tailbone skin and any other surrounding areas of soft tissue. Plus your own hands. Would NOT do this.

There is another product, the name is escaping me right now, but it's a horse mane/tail shampoo for yellowed tails that comes with its own plastic bag for soaking. I've used it with mixed results.

Vinegar is made of acetic acid that breaks down urine compounds, which are the cause of the yellowed tail, and can be used as a soaking rise without damaging the skin.
    And the wise, Jack Daniels drinking, slow-truck-driving, veteran TB handler who took "no shit from no hoss Miss L, y'hear," said: "She aint wrapped too tight."

I third the vinegar! Did Grooming & Showmanship with grey mares for years. Pour a bunch of vinegar in a bucket and soak the tail in it and while it is soaking, rub the tail hairs together, you should see it whiten up some as you clean it. Then I quick silver it after that, make sure you leave the quick silver in for a few minutes before rinsing it out.

Completely unrelated to OP, but for some reason I am happy thinking about a woman who shows oxen.

Girl power~~

2 members found this post helpful.

Sounds good everyone. I will try the vinegar soak first. If that doesn't work, I'll try dyeing it.

Update: I tried the vinegar. It faded the stain but it is still not gone.

You might try an enzyme based detergent - just trial stuff on the lower ends of her tail rather than exposing the dock to a chemical array - that is effective at removing protein stains (urine/manure); also one of the "natural beaches"

An enzyme-based stainer remover - just spray directly on the tail & wait ... you might even bag it overnight BUT do a skin test first

Chlorine free bleach - as above

In contrast to the 7th Gen products, I would not be comfortable using Oxyclean (the sodium percarbonate/carbonates/borates are strongly alkaline & likely to cause skin irritation/reaction/even allergy), especially on the dock of the tail ...

Since I have a grey mare with a white tail, I am familiar with this subject and if you do a search i KNOW it's been discussed before. I used dawn dish soap and had to wash twice and then conditioned. I was also prepared to try the old ladies bluing rinse that was suggested for whitening/bleaching, but my mare's tail improved with washing so I never did try it.

Pert Plus does work really well on white, but I didn't find it got rid of the yellow stains. But then again Mr. Pink Horse may just have a yellowish-gold tail. He is pink after all.

If you need to bleach it, peroxide is your best bet. Or you can get a box of hair highlighter. It's peroxide with a blueing agent. I would get the stuff intended for blonde hair. It might not be any different chemically, but blonde hair is finer and more prone to breaking than dark hair colors.

I use GOOP on my mare's tail. Put it in, let sit for 15 minutes, and then wash out. Works wonders.
    Maggie Bright, lovingly known as Skye and deeply missed (1994 - 2013)
    The Blog

my friend swear by liquid Tide with bleach alternative.

I had a gray mare come here to foal and her tail was stained reddish brown. She was a little underweight and rough-coated so i added a cup of flax a day to her normal "broodmare" ration--her tail, as it grew out, was BRIGHT WHITE and stayed that way up top where the new growth was, in spite of her continuing to be otherwise quite the little piggy, wallowing in dirt regularly.

I have two pintos, and when I keep them on a decent amount of flaxseed they shed stains really easily and stay surprisingly clean.

FWIW.
    Click here before you buy.