The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Kiefer Built trailers--opinions wanted

I am still trailer shopping. . Found a 2002 Kiefer Built 2 horse BP that looks to be in very good shape. It's too far away to just go look at it, so I'm hoping for opinions on if it's worth a day long road trip to look at it. Any thoughts?

Go find a shop that has some in for repair. That will give you a chance to examine places "where the Sun doesn't shine." It will be illuminating.

In reality you should do this with any brand of trailer you're evaluating. For individual trailers, wear grubbies and carry a flashlight so you can crawl around and look in places "where the Sun doesn't shine." That is also very illuminating.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

I had a 2002 3H Kiefer gooseneck for many years. Not flashy or fancy, but a nice solid trailer. Mine was aluminium over steel, and I understand there is the potential for some kind of metal-metal reaction that can weaken the joints, but I never had any issues. When I sold the trailer the only thing that kept it from looking brand new was a little rust 'weeping' from the joints under the gooseneck, which I probably could have avoided by keeping it under cover. Would recommend the brand for overall practicality of design.

My barn owners have a 3 horse slant with living quarters. It is very nice and roomy. They take it out almost every weekend for trail rides. It pulls straight and from what i can tell has had minimal maintenance issues.

Since you can't see it yourself, fine someone to check:

--If it has windows, check the seals... neighbor's 3-horse leaked like a sieve.

--If it's aluminum over steel, check each joint for corrosion or to prove that the insulator was installed between the two metals.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

I have an 08 2+1 love it the company has been great to work with when the floor mats would not stay in place. The last mat near the ramp would bunch up making it very hard to unload a horse. The company reimbursed me for getting a new heavier mat put in.

Talking

Thank you! I appreciate your feedback!