The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default I need some insight...

I usually do not post threads about needing help or guidance. But I feel like I am stuck a bit and could use some outside POVs.

Background: I am 36 (not that it should matter, but I feel that its a bit relevant). I was in the horse industry for the majority of my life. Started at age 5, out of high school (which I barely passed) I went to work at one of the largest Standardbred breeding farm before they closed. Then throughout my 20's I groomed for coaching, pleasure, and CDE drivers. I was/am good at what I did/do and I was sought after. (I am using past and present tense because I no longer work in the industry, but its hard to let go.)

At 30 I went to work part time for a single driver and started to take classes at the local community college, finished with my AA (with honors) and was accepted into a large university where I started with one major but quickly added a second.

This is where it gets sticky. I am currently taking my last class for one degree (art history) and I have 3 more classes for the second degree (anthropology). The goal WAS to continue my education in the art history/museum field to work behind the scenes, collections, registar etc.

I also started my own small (very small) business last year and it has grown larger than expected and I truly LOVE IT. I am also the PR/Marketing/bread pimp/sales rep for my friend's small business (she bakes breads) and we just landed a HUGE account. I am talking national chain HUGE.

So now my path for grad school has changed for an MBA or Entrepreneurial program instead of art history/museum

So, after all that, here is my delema. I can walk away at the end of this semester with a B.A. in Art History

OR

Stick it out, do the few courses I have left for my Anthro degree and walk away in May with the 2 degrees

OR

Stop taking Anthro classes all together and pick up some pre-MBA classes in the spring.

Being that I am already 36 nearly 37 when I graduate in the Spring I just don't want to waste any more time.

What say you oh wise CoTHers. I need some outside input. All my friends and family say, "what ever you want, its your life" And I know that, but ARGH! I need some direction. I have an appointment with my very useless advisor next week.

Stay in school for as long as you want, you can, they will have you.

What you learn in any of many fields will always be with you and it looks like what you will be doing doesn't need to be a life time apprenticeship, you can do what you want when you want it.

I think it is wonderful that you have followed the path you did and still can, take advantage of it all to be the best you can be.

1 members found this post helpful.

Wow, tough one. First off, don't worry about your age. My husband is finishing his Masters now at 50 (he already has a law degree, but loves learning!) and will then go on for his PhD. So, age is all relative.

I would be leaning toward finish the degrees as planned. You never know when you may want to change direction again, and you will have those degrees in your back pocket. You can then work on your MBA as well. You can never have TOO much education.

I am planning to go back to school, as well, once my husband is done. So I'll be "up there" too. But I don't care.

Good luck in your decision. Keep us posted.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

As an educator, my inclination would be to tell you to get your BA in whatever you can, as quickly as you can, and then to work on building your business. I would like to see you finish your degree, because you worked on it for this long. The dual major you can keep plinking along at, if you wish, but I'd opt to get done, ASAP, and get out, then go on for your MBA while you work on your own business, if you wish.

You are so close to those two degrees. Would be a shame to not grab both.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Quote Originally Posted by thatmoody View Post
    As an educator, my inclination would be to tell you to get your BA in whatever you can, as quickly as you can, and then to work on building your business. I would like to see you finish your degree, because you worked on it for this long. The dual major you can keep plinking along at, if you wish, but I'd opt to get done, ASAP, and get out, then go on for your MBA while you work on your own business, if you wish.
    I agree with this. Get the first degree so you won't be stuck in the position of someone in another thread -- does a job but doesn't get paid for it because of lack of degree. Check that off the list.

Then get out if you don't plan to use the anthro degree. You can always finish it later, can't you? Focus on your business, maybe if you want to do more school/get some business ed an executive MBA-type program? Sounds like you have plenty to keep you busy.

Congrats on the successful businesses and being so close to your degree(s)!

I have 2 B.A.s myself (English Lit and History), work in neither field and getting the second has made not one whit of difference in my career, FWIW, so that is probably why I have the above perspective.

Keep them coming...

For sure I WILL finish with the Art History degree. (I am done it in Dec). Its the Anthro that's throwing me for the loop. And for sure I can do the MBA while cultivating my small businesses.

So its one more semester for both BAs (graduate in May) or get out in December with one.

I'm still thinking..ONE more semester! I would go for the second degree. I would hate to have you think later down the line, "I wish I would have..." It would be different if you had a few more semesters, but with one more..I'd still go for it.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

As an HR person, I tend to look less at the name of the degree than what the person learned with it.
    Also, you can keep learning as long as you want. No one says you have to have a double major to do the MBA. Plus, most people who are doing MBA programs have jobs as well- my partner completed his rather quickly while working as a manager at a large corporation.
    Stay motivated, my friend! Major applause for going back to school, and being simultaneously dedicated to your professional life as well!

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

There is value in learning for its own sake, and there is also value in earning a degree that will support your work/economic goals.

I would certainly at least finish the BA degree at the end of this semester. Beyond that, I'd say it depends what your short and medium term goals are. If getting the anthro degree will further those goals, there is nothing wrong with pursuing it. But it sounds to me like you are headed down an entrepreneurial path, where a more traditional MBA/business studies plan might be more practical.

For what it's worth, I have two advanced degrees (bus admin/marketing and finance) and while they were necessary credentials to have to get the jobs I wanted, I will be honest and say that they were only minimally helpful in terms of actually *doing* the jobs themselves. IMHO, the main benefit of higher education is to help develop an individual's ability to think critically and thoughtfully about how to solve problems, and that can be honed in just about any subject area.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Two questions:

1) How much additional cost will be involved in doing the extra semester for the two majors? If it's much, or worse, involves a loan, I wouldn't do it. A second liberal arts degree won't help at all with MBA admissions, you'd be doing it purely for your own satisfaction and enjoyment, if you are committed to your grad school and career plans.

2) What kind of quantitative classes have you taken so far toward your degree(s)?

I ask the latter because I have a BA in Government and did not take much at all in the way of quantitative classes. I later went back for an MBA and realized, while looking at applications and admissions information, that I'd be at a real disadvantage with the liberal arts degree and little in the way of math/statistics classes. I took a few evening classes, for graduate credit, in accounting and statistics (and made sure I aced them) before I applied, it helped, because though I was admitted to the competitive MBA program of my choice, they did note on the acceptance letter that they had concerns over my lack of Calculus and would watch my grades in the lower level quantitative classes. I did just fine, but I'm guessing they wouldn't have accepted me if I hadn't snuck in a couple of number oriented classes before applying.

Oh, and I worked for 10 years between the two degrees, my work experience was NOT lacking in number crunching . I worked as a tax paralegal and then as an IT analyst, specializing in accounting and budgeting systems! I still took those classes before applying, as I knew they'd want to see some quantitative academic work too.

If your transcript to date is weak on math, it might be worth it to take some quantitative classes, either before or after you graduate and before applying to an MBA program.

What about converting the dual major into a minor in Anthro? Is that an option? At least that way you don't feel that you're wasting the work you've put in but also not feeling that you're wasting precious time in working towards a degree you feel you might not use in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by thatmoody View Post
    This. In my experience, having A degree was an important launch pad, but the dual degree was not worth the extra time. Even in that profession, it was enough to show a concentration in the second area. I'm for following opportunity (solidly grounded) rather than adhering to a plan for sake of the plan.

Lucky you to have options- you're obviously talented in many areas. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Lucassb View Post
    There is value in learning for its own sake, and there is also value in earning a degree that will support your work/economic goals.

I would certainly at least finish the BA degree at the end of this semester. Beyond that, I'd say it depends what your short and medium term goals are. If getting the anthro degree will further those goals, there is nothing wrong with pursuing it. But it sounds to me like you are headed down an entrepreneurial path, where a more traditional MBA/business studies plan might be more practical.

For what it's worth, I have two advanced degrees (bus admin/marketing and finance) and while they were necessary credentials to have to get the jobs I wanted, I will be honest and say that they were only minimally helpful in terms of actually *doing* the jobs themselves. IMHO, the main benefit of higher education is to help develop an individual's ability to think critically and thoughtfully about how to solve problems, and that can be honed in just about any subject area.
    That.
    Your future employers will be aware of that and not really care what you know as much as what you do with what you know and hope that is who you will be with all else you may come in contact with.

Still, one semester and one more degree, why not, after all this time and effort put in that field?

Thanks guys,

After reading what you guys wrote and speaking to a friend of mine whom I trust ....I am still confused as ever

It would entail taking out a loan, a small one, but a loan none the less. I can turn the Anthro major into a minor after this semester.

I am going to try to get into the business college and get an appointment.

This is just my experience as an older student getting a second degree and having my school schedule completely disrupted after Sandy.

Get your degree and get out!!
    Seriously, one of your earlier posts made me think if you go for the dual major you don't get either until May. Is that correct?
    If so just get the one degree so you have it in hand and finished.

If you get the one degree in December no matter what then I agree with whoever said take courses with an eye towards getting into an MBA program.

I had a ton of prerequisites I had to check off before I could apply for my second degree program as the field was completely different.

Having A degree is better than NO degree. So get a degree. That said, the business degree is going to be far more useful in the big picture. So if you can nab one of the others and close it out AND pursue this MBA or at least a business degree, I would.

I have a degree in bio and business and a minor in religion and psych.

Do I work in ANY OF THOSE FIELD? No.

I do not.

But I had to have a degree to get my job and the business stuff is the most portable. IMHO of course.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Quote Originally Posted by MunchingonHay View Post
    It would entail taking out a loan, a small one, but a loan none the less. I can turn the Anthro major into a minor after this semester.

I am going to try to get into the business college and get an appointment.
    Get done and get out. Don't go into debt for it. If you can convert your Anthropology courses into a minor that's great.

To those who care about such things, having "A degree" (any degree) is way more important than your major.

Immerse yourself in the business, *then* decide what (if any) further training you want to go for.

Have fun!
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

I will finish in December with the Art History and a minor in Anthro. I would get the Anthro degree in May (after 3 more classes).

Quote Originally Posted by west5 View Post
    This is just my experience as an older student getting a second degree and having my school schedule completely disrupted after Sandy.

Get your degree and get out!!
    Seriously, one of your earlier posts made me think if you go for the dual major you don't get either until May. Is that correct?
    If so just get the one degree so you have it in hand and finished.

If you get the one degree in December no matter what then I agree with whoever said take courses with an eye towards getting into an MBA program.

I had a ton of prerequisites I had to check off before I could apply for my second degree program as the field was completely different.