The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by JanM View Post
    The kitchen is so easy to stuff full of items and gadgets you don't use, so start there. Match all storage containers to the lids they do with, discard ones that don't match up or aren't size you'll use. Match all cookware with lids and make sure they are something you need or want. If you have spoons or gadgets you never use then decide if you really need those either. I bet the drawers and cabinets will be much roomier. If you have sets of dishes or silverware someone gave you and you never use, or you don't like then rehome them. Have a bunch of appliances you never use? Craigslist or other sales sites might be a good way to make some money. Get rid of linens you never use, mismatched sets or bedding that doesn't fit the beds you have now.
    You are so right Jan! I mentioned earlier in the thread that the SO and I have one fork, spoon, (two) knives, a bowl, and a plate each. It makes everything so much easier!

We have some sheets that I would love to donate to our local Thrift Town (where we often find great fabric cheap for projects) but my SO is determined to hold onto them for our future possible children! At least they are out of sight, out of mind...

1 members found this post helpful.

This sounds great. You guys are inspiring me. I have slowly been decluttering, but a strong push before christmas seems to be in order. Luckily, I can post ads from my phone.

Yeah! I went through my underwear, bras, pjs and riding pants yesterday because of this thread. Did you know that before my purge I had 78 pairs of underwear?! That's HORRIFYING. Granted, they're pretty small and were all in one drawer, but i threw out undies I didn't even remember owning. It was really revealing (lol pun not intended) to take them all out at once and do inventory. I thought I had three pairs of this one type of panty, but apparently I had twelve of them, stuffed in the back of the drawer where I would never see them.

I could have thrown out twice as many as I did, but I figured it was fine to start out somewhere!

Also threw away seven natty bras. Feel good about that!

The riding pants were the hardest to go through... so many tan breeches that are quality, but just so old and stained an with snags/holes.... but they were chucked too. I considered Craigslisting them, but really, they weren't fit to be given away.
    This weekend will be my closet (the only closet in the house). I can do it!
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

Quote Originally Posted by bits619 View Post
    Yeah! I went through my underwear, bras, pjs and riding pants yesterday because of this thread. Did you know that before my purge I had 78 pairs of underwear?! That's HORRIFYING. Granted, they're pretty small and were all in one drawer, but i threw out undies I didn't even remember owning. It was really revealing (lol pun not intended) to take them all out at once and do inventory. I thought I had three pairs of this one type of panty, but apparently I had twelve of them, stuffed in the back of the drawer where I would never see them.

I could have thrown out twice as many as I did, but I figured it was fine to start out somewhere!

Also threw away seven natty bras. Feel good about that!
    You can donate your bras if they aren't TOO bad. I have worn secondhand bras before and it's really not a problem if you wash them and they fit you decently. I lost one of my bras in our move (I have NO idea how this happened!!) and am mourning it--it was my best (and most expensive) one!

And wow 78 pairs of underwear! The most I've ever owned is probably 22 pairs I think and that's how I was able to keep my laundry to a 1-2 month occurance in college! Now I have maybe 9 or 10 pairs? Lol.

Really?? There are definitely two that are in good shape, i just couldn't justify putting them back in the drawer (duplicates). They're victorias secret and wore like iron.... and i gotta say, Vicki knows how to make some tatas look nice!
    OK, I'll take those out of the bag and put them in the goodwill pile :-) thanks!
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

I have been doing the same thing for the past month. I want to make room for some idea's I saw on pintrest. I gave three great big huge garbage bags full of clothes to my neighbor for her neice, I gave her a bunch of books, daughters bestfriend took home a bunch of stuff and I have pitched a bunch of stuff.
    I also have gathered what I need for the projects I want to do and put it all in one spot. I still have two rooms to rearange but won't part with anything from either of thoose as it's my computerroom and bedroom.
    I plan to take an old wood dresser and turn it into a bookshelf, I have a bunch of old barnwindow frames with the glass busted out that I am gonna make rustic picture frames out of, I have an old really neat mirror I am gonna paint chalkboard paint on and hang it on the end of one of my kitchen cupboards.

At the end of every season I go through my clothes and look at what I wore. So in April (ish) I will go through all of my winter clothes. With very rare exception if I didn't wear a certain sweater, scarf, etc. then I donate it. Sometimes I am torn because an item is "pretty" but if I don't like the way it looks on me then there is 0 reason to keep it.

The hardest thing for me to purge is decorations. I love picture frames, antique bottles, etc. and I always try to convince myself that I will use it in the future.

I go through the house daily and toss/recycle any trash, papers, etc. I also toss dog toys once they start getting too ratty. I'd rather part with them early then sink $3k into obstruction surgery.

I go through my makeup every 3 months and if I haven't used it then I give it away or toss it. Same with toiletries and hair products.

The only thing I can't declutter is my scarf collection (20+) and throws (6+) because they are pretty and soft.

Quote Originally Posted by Karosel View Post
    How about the shop for a 200+ year old farm? There's a lotta stuff stuff in it. Couple hundred draft sized horse shoes, harness, old tractor parts, new tractors and gear for them. The shed on our farm would be like an archeological dig through the layers of history on this farm.
    You should call the guys from that show "American Pickers." They'd love to dig in that barn!

~~~~

For me, all it takes is watching an episode or two of "Hoarding: Buried Alive" or "Hoarders" (on A&E). Eeeeeeeeh!

I admit I like "stuff." I'm not a minimalist nor a clean freak... but our house is lived in but not filthy, comfortable not stuffy.

But last year, when those two shows, really kicked off, I got into it!!! Loaded up 2 long-bed pickup trucks' worth of stuff & hauled it to Sunkissed Acres' thrift shop (proceeds benefit Sunkissed & the local dog rescue). Gone!

Gave away stuff to church friends. Put some on the curb with a TAKE IT sign and some on Freecycle.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

I'm trying to start a big declutter but Sandy made it difficult to do without electricity. My problem is that I'm attached to my stuff. If the storm washed everything away, there isn't much I'd replace. Some stuff is stored in a cousin's basement, so I don't have to see the stuff.

Once it's gone, I don't miss what I've gotten rid of. Just the thought of having less to clean and take care of is inspiring.

This was my last decluttering:
    http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y17...Garbagerun.jpg

There were 2 loads like that removed from my house. My husband is a packrat. Not a hoarder despite saving some odd crap. Like the boxes that all of our stuff came in. We still had boxes of old radios and plates, etc that we didn't even have the items anymore. On that trailer is a set of family room furniture. A past dog teethed on it, the kids were little when we got it...it went through hell. It's been stored in the basements for our last two homes, too destroyed to even have reupholstered or covered. Yet hubby insisted it kept moving with us.
    For decluttering I have to wait until hubby is at work or the rare times he travels. He's a little OCD about some stuff...and while he;s fine (and usually thrilled) with the changes made AFTER, if he's present for the changes I practically have to tranq him.

But do declutter! Nobody believes I got that much crap out of my house. Our houses keep getting smaller (got sick of big houses) but I keep things as neat and organized as possible. The kid who helped me with that stuff kept saying, "But I'm over your house all the time, where does this stuff keep coming from?"
    A fun way to organize or declutter is to Google Image "reorganize ideas." There's some really cool and cute ways to make things neater. But first and foremost is always tossing the crap. You might hate doing it, feel bad doing it, etc...but you *will* love the results!

Meanwhile I wish I still had stairs (live in a ranch now) so I could try these:
    http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y17...39561156_n.jpg
    http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y17...sebookcase.jpg
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Oh, man, that almost gave me a . . . special feeling. LOVE.

And what I can see of your place behind the truck and trailer looks cute!

Misty-good for you! And next time the vet is out ask about borrowing his tranquilizer gun for the next decluttering. Hubby will get a great nap, and everything will be nice and clean.

And thanks to this thread I finally asked why I was trimming the thread off the bath towels in my bathroom. The sides were raveling, and I've been trimming them. I tossed them in the giveaway bag for the humane society, and got out the spares. After at least five years I think the towels deserved a nice retirement. And it's very nice to have nice fluffy towels again.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by Watermark Farm View Post
    One of the things I remember reading there regarding clothing is to look at your closet and visualize packing a suitcase with everything you'd need for a trip involving all weather and both casual and dress up. Basically, pick your favorite stuff that you wear and feel good in, and ditch the rest. For me, that meant that I had to get real about not needing 20 "barn shirts" in my dresser drawer. Five was just fine!
    I tend to accumulate stuff, but the litmus test for any piece of clothing or pair of shoes is whether I can ever imagine myself wearing it again.

I will be eternally grateful that someone with no stake in or familiarity with almost any of my stuff, reorganized most of my closets. There's still need to get rid of some of the old clothes, but the task is far more approachable with everything in good order.
    If I knew what I were doing, why would I take lessons?

"Things should be as simple as possible,
    but no simpler." - Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by theblondejumper View Post
    Do you do it?

I currently live in a 600 sq foot apartment so really there's HARDLY any room for clutter. But since moving in two months ago the SO and I have not found any shelving units that fit our needs and budget (although we haven't been looking that hard...). And due to being a fan of the environment/minimalism/zero waste every few weeks I get a big urge to just donate and minimize.

The boy has WAY more clothes than I do (maybe 15 t-shirts? I have...2 actual t-shirts, a few tank tops, and two nicer cotton tops) so this is always a big topic of debate around here. We have minimal appliances--just a 3 cup food processor aside from our electric stove and ancient 80s dishwasher + fridge.

Soooo anyone else enjoy decluttering/organizing?
    I am the opposite of a hoarder. I hate clutter, and too much stuff. The older I get the worse I am. A total minimalist. >I have no family or children to leave stuff to, so I figure when I die there will be less for someone to throw out! Weird huh!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

The trim is up! The dresser I took out that was stained brown and is now lipstick red with glass pulls is back in. I have baskets for the shelves. Just need to put up the cool old school hat racks on one wall and racks for baseball hats on another wall. Tomorrow is move back in day! I can't wait to have "A place for everything and everything in it's place!" I already got one more bag of clothes out as I re-sorted them I'm thinking two more as I put stuff back in. I am a middle aged mom and still have tee-shirts from my high school swim team, so it was time.

Sannois-no that's not weird, it's wonderful. I've never understood people who have their place packed to the gills of items they never use, probably don't even like, and have to move, store, and clean. I think when I grow up I want to be you.

4Martini-That sounds wonderful! So creative and useful at the same time. And once you put the racks up and put the last items back you'll have accomplished something that few people actually do, finish a project. I hope you documented the before and after, and send it in to some of the home decorating magazines. I think many of them do home projects that turned out well

Adamante-this may sound weird by a month or so ago I got sick of wrestling with the chunky white plastic hanger in the master closet. I bought three of the fuzzy black (I got the kind with the bar across the bottom, not the shirt hangers) skinny hangers. I only used 1 1/2 of the boxes (there are 50 in a box), and I tossed the old ones. I put every shirt and top on one (some already were on the new ones), and since my tops are already by colors I had a lot more room and could find things. But then I got sick of trying to figure out what's long sleeve and what's 3/4 length, so I took about 15 minutes unloaded the shorter sleeve ones, and then put long sleeves together by color, and the 3/4 by color. This really streamlines getting ready or hunting for something. I also got rid of at least 20 tops that I'm never going to fit into again, or really liked, so someone got lucky at the charity store. I intend to keep going through the closet until I have only what fits, what I like, and what I'll actually wear. The easiest way to get rid of clothes is to unload the entire closet, and only put back what you really want to keep. And I did find that putting tops back by color really helps organize the closet, and makes finding something to wear a snap. The skinnier hangers all look so nice and uniform, and save space-I love them, and am sending some friends that for Christmas this year. I think the answer is to be ruthless, and every season change, or when the closet starts getting full to get rid of something else. Maybe get one new item, but you have to get rid of one so the closet doesn't grow is the answer.
    Last edited by JanM; Nov. 3, 2012 at 09:12 PM.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Oh, man, that almost gave me a . . . special feeling. LOVE.

And what I can see of your place behind the truck and trailer looks cute!
    Isn't that staircase fantastic??? I think I first saw it on this BB on an Off Meds Day a while back and saved it. I love the style, color and especially the hardware. Not to mention it's such a great idea for extra storage! I'd have to have an outside railing though...I'd be the first one to fall off of my stairs, LOL!

Thanks on the property compliment! It's little, but neat and cute.
    Sannois...not weird at all. I really hate clutter too.
    4Martini, have any photos? I''d love to see the repurposed dresser!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Oooh Jan- I'm thinking of going out an getting new hangers now after your post. We have the while plastic ones I don't really like them. Hmm, the project is only at 400% of schedule and 700% of budget Granted it started as just a quick paint job.

Smile Awww JanM...

Thanks I may have a tendancy to take it to the extreme sometimes. I have pitched things in a fit of cleaning in the past only to look for it 6 months later.
    Sometimes I used to throw things of my Ex's away when I was mad at him.
    But I just feel better if the house is not crowded or cluttered.
    And besides I decided long ago that stuff does not make you happy. Of course there are somethings one must hold on to sometimes. Like the first blue ribbon you ever won as a little kid!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Quote Originally Posted by JanM View Post
    Sannois-no that's not weird, it's wonderful. I've never understood people who have their place packed to the gills of items they never use, probably don't even like, and have to move, store, and clean. I think when I grow up I want to be you.

4Martini-That sounds wonderful! So creative and useful at the same time. And once you put the racks up and put the last items back you'll have accomplished something that few people actually do, finish a project. I hope you documented the before and after, and send it in to some of the home decorating magazines. I think many of them do home projects that turned out well

Adamante-this may sound weird by a month or so ago I got sick of wrestling with the chunky white plastic hanger in the master closet. I bought three of the fuzzy black (I got the kind with the bar across the bottom, not the shirt hangers) skinny hangers. I only used 1 1/2 of the boxes (there are 50 in a box), and I tossed the old ones. I put every shirt and top on one (some already were on the new ones), and since my tops are already by colors I had a lot more room and could find things. But then I got sick of trying to figure out what's long sleeve and what's 3/4 length, so I took about 15 minutes unloaded the shorter sleeve ones, and then put long sleeves together by color, and the 3/4 by color. This really streamlines getting ready or hunting for something. I also got rid of at least 20 tops that I'm never going to fit into again, or really liked, so someone got lucky at the charity store. I intend to keep going through the closet until I have only what fits, what I like, and what I'll actually wear. The easiest way to get rid of clothes is to unload the entire closet, and only put back what you really want to keep. And I did find that putting tops back by color really helps organize the closet, and makes finding something to wear a snap. The skinnier hangers all look so nice and uniform, and save space-I love them, and am sending some friends that for Christmas this year. I think the answer is to be ruthless, and every season change, or when the closet starts getting full to get rid of something else. Maybe get one new item, but you have to get rid of one so the closet doesn't grow is the answer.
    JanM I think you may be my Hero!!