The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default New Puppy!

I know, I know, I don't have any pictures yet. I promise to take some and get them online as soon as I can!

That being said, GUESS WHAT I GOT TODAY!!!!

Yup, a new puppy. I am a huge fan of boxers. And cattle dogs. Have one of each currently. I was at work this morning (at an animal shelter, worst place ever to work when you are a wannabe animal hoarder), when a man came in with a little red cattle dog puppy. He had found it running around on the worlds busiest road and picked him up. He had a flea collar on that had been put on awhile ago and never checked, so it was TIGHT and had rubbed a sore on his neck. It's not horrid, but it will take some time before he can wear a collar.

Needless to say, I snatched him up, and haven't let him go yet. I will have to keep him for three days before I can officially call him mine. I'm kind of hoping no owner turns up. Everyone say a prayer to whatever god you subscribe too that owner doesn't turn up!

He's been introduced to my two dogs, everyone got along fine. He is afraid of the cats and chickens, and is sweet, sweet, sweet. Yay for puppies!!!

1 members found this post helpful.

Oh congrats! Did you name him yet? And yes please please post pics!!

Aaaand here he is!

Introducing Loki. Who is appropriatly named. He is a VERY typical cattle dog in that his is insanely intelligent, active, confident, and interested in everything. I've had him 24 hours now. We've had no accidents in the house yet. Yay! He has learned to sit and look at me, what the clicker means, and understands food zen already. He has an excellent recall so far, and I'm going to encourage that at EVERY opportunity. He has called off chasing chickens. He does not like correction at all, and I think he's going to be one of those dogs that doesn't handle anything but positive training methods, which is fine with me because that's how I train. He is going to be a velcro dog. He must be chewing on something at all times. I think he chews when he sleeps.

Challenges are going to be keeping his mind occupied, teaching him people shouldn't be chewed on. He has NO bite inhibition at this point in time. When he gets wound up, he starts snapping at anything and everything (CATTLE DOG!!!). He doesn't care for restraint, and is going to take some massive socialization to keep him as friendly as he is.

I'm so excited, and already over my heels in love!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=3438d75551

OMG He is FREAKING CUTE!!!
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

Cute little guy! And tiny!
    I loff my Quarter horse clique

I kill threads dead!

oh my.............those ears are to die for!....what an adorable fella!

He's darling!

When I saw him and immediately thought of our guy, Cooper, who is an ACD. We adopted him when he was about 4-5 months old. When I had Cooper in PetSmart last year, someone who owned a dog daycare told me I could bring him any time (his first time in PetSmart and he was perfect). LOL-he is one crazy dog at home!
    Congrats!

48 hours into puppy ownership, and he is turning out to be a lot of fun.

The goods:
    Smart! We are working on Sue Ailsby Training levels, and we will be moving onto level two in a few days. I added cues to all his behaviors today. He learns FAST!

He is active, which I like. He LOVES me, and will leave any kind of fun if I call him. He rides in the car like a dog who's been traveling for years. He sleeps all night (YAY!). He's had one accident, and he deliberatly went onto the tile to have it. He is food, toy, AND praise motivated. That makes my little dog trainer self just giggle with happiness. He is very appropriate with other dogs.

The bads:
    He is a mouthy little dude. Must have his teeth on something at all times. His bite inhibition needs a LOT of work. I have a few new punctures on my hands from his wild little self. Ouch.

He barks if he gets frustrated. Which means I have to work harder to keep him from becoming frustrated. He has a bark shriller than most poodles I know! Ouch.

He is a wuss. Izzy (older cattle dog/border collie mix) corrected him for being obnoxious with a yell. No contact was made, and he screamed like she'd ripped his eyeballs out of his head. For almost 30 seconds. I honestly thought he'd been hurt.

The goods are excellent, and the bads will go away, except maybe the wussy thing. Can't wait to see what tomorrow brings!

They are the best dogs!

congrats, he's a cutie!