The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Give me ideas for birthday cakes/cupcakes

I know there are lots of recipes out there, and even box mixes (which I love to use) but it's my boyfriend's birthday, and I just feel like baking him something special this weekend, that I KNOW will be delicious (since not all online recipes are reliable). He likes every kind of cake - especially chocolate and strawberry! - and loves cheesecake. Cupcakes are great, too, since at least one of my friends is just so picky it's unbelievable.

So, please, give me some tried-and-true recipes to spoil my boyfriend (and friends) with!

Filled cupcakes are popular. And the cake/filling possibilities are endless...

I did a batch using yellow cake mix with lemon juice added, white frosting with lemon zest added, and a batch of homemade lemon curd a bit on the tart side. I baked the cupcakes and let them cool. Then, using a sharp knife, cut a big plug out of the middle. I dropped in a dollop of lemon curd and plugged the hole with a bit of the cupcake I had removed. Once they were frosted, it was impossible to tell I'd done surgery on them.
    ---------------------------

1 members found this post helpful.

Try this one - sounds absolutely wonderful!!
    I'll be trying it out soon as well!!

http://beta.abc.go.com/shows/the-che...ake-Carla-Hall

Quote Originally Posted by solara View Post
    I know there are lots of recipes out there, and even box mixes (which I love to use) but it's my boyfriend's birthday, and I just feel like baking him something special this weekend, that I KNOW will be delicious (since not all online recipes are reliable). He likes every kind of cake - especially chocolate and strawberry! - and loves cheesecake. Cupcakes are great, too, since at least one of my friends is just so picky it's unbelievable.

So, please, give me some tried-and-true recipes to spoil my boyfriend (and friends) with!

So I know you asked for cake/cupcake recipes, but these are delicious and its the perfect time of year to start making them. Might actually whip up a batch myself!

Heavenly Pumpkin Brownies
    4 large eggs
    2 cups sugar
    1 cup butter, melted
    1 cup canned pumpkin
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
    1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
    1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
    Frosting:
    8 ounces cream cheese, softened
    1/2 cup butter, softened
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    2 cups powdered sugar
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
    1. In a large mixing bowl of an electric mixer, beat the eggs well, add in the sugar and butter and mix well. Add the pumpkin and vanilla and mix. Add the flour and spices and mix well. Spread in a 9 X 13-inch greased pan.
    2. Bake for 25-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool.
    3. To make frosting: In a small bowl, beat cream cheese, butter, vanilla and powdered sugar until just mixed, careful not to over mix.
    When the brownies are cool, frost. (I only needed to use about 1/2 of the frosting.) You can sprinkle chopped nuts on top of the brownies, if desired. Cut into squares and serve. Enjoy.

Best Chocolate Cake Ever:

1 box devil's food chocolate cake
    1 jar of caramel topping
    1 can sweetened condensed milk
    1 pack oreos
    about 5 Skor or other toffee bars
    chocolate frosting - I just use the store bought stuff

Bake the cake according to directions on the box - you can either do it as a 13 x 9 or 2 8 or 9 inch rounds. I like the rounds because then you get a nice frosting/topping layer in the middle - but it is slightly trickier to make this way.

Once the cake comes out of the oven, combine the sweetened condensed milk and caramel topping in a saucepan over the stove. You want it to be warm and googey but not bubbling.

Take the cake (If you make the 13 x 9 i just leave it in the pan and serve it out of the pan - if you make the rounds, take the first one out and put it on a plate or serving dish). Poke slits in the cake with a butter knife - not all the way through but about 2/3 of the way down into the cake throughout the cake. Pour the caramel mixture over the cake. The holes allow it to seep and absorb into the cake. Let cool. Frost with chocolate frosting. Smash up the oreos and heath bars (I double freezer bag it and beat it with a rolling pin, which is lots of fun. Delicious cake and stress relief all at once!). Cover cake with smashed up oreo and heath. If you make the two layer rounds, I do the bottom first including frosting and toppings, then add the second layer on top and do the second layer. It's a little messy, but it is DELICIOUS and super moist. Serve with vanilla ice cream (or the Haagen Daz Dulce De Leche is really good as well).

If there are leftovers I put them in the fridge - it's really good cold also.
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.

The chocolate cake recipe on the side of Hershey's cocoa powder is excellent, as is the frosting.

The Baker's Chocolate and Ghirardelli sites have awesome recipes as well.

All of the above are tested, tried and true in professional test kitchens.

The only recipe I ever had trouble with was for a white chocolate cake out of a Hershey's cookbook. Made it twice with fresh ingredients and it was flat as a pancake both times. I called to complain, and they actually sent me a small fortune's worth of coupons.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.