The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by PassionForSaddles View Post
    believetobe, you really should put it in your signature that you are "proud to work for CWD" as you said the other day. Because changing your settings to make only your last comment visible + not mentioning your link the the company anymore gives a strange idea of your supposedly unbiased advice.
    Just saying...
    But few people post in these threads with an "unbiased opinion" - believetobe may work for CWD but I've read far more enthusiastic statements from CWD customers: how is her contribution to this topic not helpful to the OP

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    But few people post in these threads with an "unbiased opinion" - believetobe may work for CWD but I've read far more enthusiastic statements from CWD customers: how is her contribution to this topic not helpful to the OP
    oh no I agree, her contribution can be helpful. I just think she should give full disclosure instead of trying to hide her previous posts (btw, that's a new feature, no?). I know other people representing companies are posting around here, I find it more honest when they say it in their email signature that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    Thanks Alto! This is exactly how I feel. I try to help if there is a relevant thread that I have a relevant answer to. I have been on this board before I worked for CWD and I enjoy and can contribute to many other topics besides saddles.

Passionforsaddles I have no idea how to hide previous posts and would never do that. I am an open book. I do not appreciate your accusations against me in this thread and another one. With your username I am assuming you work for another saddle company that is threatened by me somehow. Can't we be friendly members of a community that shares our passions without being rude? I have no wish to be picked on or drawn into unnecessary drama, so please leave me out of it. Thanks!

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by PassionForSaddles View Post
    oh no I agree, her contribution can be helpful. I just think she should give full disclosure instead of trying to hide her previous posts (btw, that's a new feature, no?). I know other people representing companies are posting around here, I find it more honest when they say it in their email signature that's all.
    I suspect that is another side effect of the software upgrade - there is a lot of erratic stuff popping up.

Guys, this isn't another thread to start fighting on! Everyone on here has given great advice so far and I could really care less if someone works for CWD, especially if they can also contribute good suggestions.

Anyways, believetobe I bought the saddle used so I couldn't ask CWD to do anything about it. I've contacted some local reps of various saddle companies to talk about trading in my saddle, but I'm still awaiting replies. If I could somehow fix the pommel issue on this saddle, I would definitely keep it. Pretty much everyone in my barn rides in a CWD with no issues, so they must work for some people!

My friend who works for a used saddle company is letting me try an 18" Devoucoux this weekend, so we'll see how that goes.

Keep any new suggestions coming!

Sorry for the (small - I hope) derail

Talk to your CWD rep - I thought there was something they could try to do in regards the pommel ...

Relatively new, good condition CWD's do seem to sell fairly quickly on the used saddle sites (you might send out some emails & ask for opinions on your particular saddle - some of the sites also have lists of "requested saddles").
    You might consider leasing a saddle or doing a payment option on a new saddle (Equestrian Imports just has a nice website, other companies also offer these options).

Good luck in your search indygirl! If I think of anything else I'll let you know if your saddle is in good condition you could sell it for 3K, if it's full calf, then a little more. That should be enough to get a great used saddle that works for you!

Quote Originally Posted by indygirl2560 View Post
    I bought my CWD last year after saddle searching for awhile. It looks like it's custom made for me and fits my abnormally long femurs perfectly. It's a deep seat, which I prefer, and the pommel is quite high. I knew the pommel was on the high side when I bought it, but riding my one horse daily in it, (with occasional days of a few more horses), it didn't seem to be a huge problem; however, I now ride 5-7 horses a day and the pommel is just killing me! By the third horse, it's just painful! I've owned deep seated saddles in the past, but never with any pommel problems.

I'm torn because the saddle is gorgeous and is really nice to ride in for 1-2 horses, but after that I hate riding in it. I'm a broke college student and this saddle cost me a lot when I purchased it, so I don't think I could go out and purchased a decent quality/fitting used saddle unless it was really cheap. I also don't have a saddle to ride in in the meantime if this saddle sold.

Should I just try to deal with what I have? Any ideas?
    Wanna trade?!?!?!?!?
    Footnote
    Miss Money Penny
    Fuerst Class
    Monroe

Quote Originally Posted by believetobe View Post
    Thanks Alto! This is exactly how I feel. I try to help if there is a relevant thread that I have a relevant answer to. I have been on this board before I worked for CWD and I enjoy and can contribute to many other topics besides saddles.

Passionforsaddles I have no idea how to hide previous posts and would never do that. I am an open book. I do not appreciate your accusations against me in this thread and another one. With your username I am assuming you work for another saddle company that is threatened by me somehow. Can't we be friendly members of a community that shares our passions without being rude? I have no wish to be picked on or drawn into unnecessary drama, so please leave me out of it. Thanks!
    no I don't work for a saddle company, they wouldn't hire an old PIA as me
    Sorry I didn't mean to be picking on you, it just seemed strange and I promise that for some reasons only your last comment was visible under your profile, which you have to admit could be very useful for someone who intends to do "undercover advertisement" here; but as alto says it might very well be those new updates... I also cannot see how many views are on a thread when it's in red. Go figure!
    Of course we can be friendly, I'm actually not that bad and didn't intend to sound as such... sorry to be a little far from the topic OP, one of my answers was actually 100% on topic so you see believetobe, I promise I'm not stalking you. I just think saddles are amazing pieces of leather craftsmanship and I absolutely love them, like many others here I think

believetobe-- It's full calf and I've taken great care of it, (I'm obsessive about tack cleaning!), so hopefully I can get a good amount out of it if I do sell it.

TPF Hunter-- What do you have? PM me!

I had a friend who owned a tack store and she told me that at least half the women who came in to buy a saddle wanted one that was at least a half size too small, maybe a full size. No one wants to think that their butt is big! Not that anyone else knows what size your saddle is.

I'm 5'11 and have very long femurs. I prefer riding in a flatter seat with a forward flap. Anything deep makes me feel trapped. I ride in an 18" most of the time.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

I have a custom CWD, I am 5'9" with an extremey long femur. I love my saddle. I have never had a problem with the pommel being uncomfortable and mine is a med-deep seat. But my seat size is an 18" because I was told, it would allow more room for my leg. And I have to say I can not complain.Actually this is the first saddle I have ever owned that fit my leg so well, and I didn't have to fight it for my position. Maybe it has something to do with my bubble butt.... LOL
    Celtic Charisma (R.I.P) ~ http://flickr.com/photos/rockandracehorses/2387275281
    Proud owner of "The Intoxicated Moose!"
    "Hope is not an executable plan" ~ My Mom
    I love my Dublin-ator

Sigh, this thread has been a reminder that I probably need to start looking at bigger seat sizes my (long femured)self. I swear I don't care so much about butt size (fully admit its not small).....but it seems like the smaller sizes are just so much more readily available on the used market, and I have rudden snug fir so long it has become a comfort zone,

That said, i rode in a vert similar saddle to you (can't remember the exact options, but I think a 17, or 17.5" SE02 with a long forward flap) at work, and the "third horse" wall was oh so clear. However, in previous years when I was riding in 18" SE01, I still had problems in the pommel area, just more overall and popping up at random times than so clearly and suddenly on horse #3. i had chalked it up to CWD just being to wide twisted for me, but who knows.

I didn't think the 17" seat was a problem since I had an Antares that I loved and could spend all day in with a 17" 2aa flap.
    The deeper the seat the bigger the seat has to be, since there's less room for that sweet spot. That's why nearly every Dressage saddle for a given person will be a bigger seat size than their CC saddle.

But it depends on the shape of the seat too. Some "deep" seat saddles are an unbroken curve from pommel to cantle. Others have a flat spot in the middle somewhere - those can sometimes be sized down a bit since there's a little bit more room to move.

I agree that far too many people are out there in a saddle at least a full size too small for them.

Oh and if you're in the Indianapolis area you're welcome to give my old Stubben a shot to see if it works for you.

candysgirl--thanks but I'm pretty far from Indianapolis!

My friend let me try her 17.5" SE01 (flat seat) yesterday and I had the exact same pommel issue. In fact, hers almost seemed worse! Now I'm thinking I'm just not compatible with CWD saddles in general.

My other friend with a used saddle company is bringing out an 18" Devoucoux for me to try next weekend so we'll see how that goes. I just want something comfortable!

candysgirl--thanks but I'm pretty far from Indianapolis!

My friend let me try her 17.5" SE01 (flat seat) yesterday and I had the exact same pommel issue. In fact, hers almost seemed worse! Now I'm thinking I'm just not compatible with CWD saddles in general.

My other friend with a used saddle company is bringing out an 18" Devoucoux for me to try next weekend so we'll see how that goes. I just want something comfortable!
    So how did it go with the Devoucoux? Let us know!

Quote Originally Posted by believetobe View Post
    I do not appreciate your accusations against me in this thread and another one. With your username I am assuming you work for another saddle company that is threatened by me somehow.
    Slight tanget, but why do saddle company reps seem to always assume that anyone who doesn't bow at the alter of their brand is a competitor sneakily trying to subvert customers. This is not the first time a rep has acted that way on the boards-- not the first time a CWD rep has acted that way! Where does this paranoia come from? Is it so rampant in the saddle business? I worked in sales for many years and never, never assumed that someone who said something negative about my brand might work for a competitor. The thought never once crossed my mind.

Back on topic, I agree with those who say the "bad crotch" phenomenon may be solved by going up a size rather than staying in the same size with a more forward flap.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
    I am 5'7" with long thighs. I hate high pommels and grew to not like the Butet I had years ago. After years of trying lots of saddles, I bought myself a Tad Coffin last year. Love it and it is an easy fit on the horses. Mine is the flat seat but he makes a deeper seat. Be sure to get the new Smart Tree or whatever it is called.

The person above is right -- after looking at pictures of me in the demo, Tad wanted me in a bigger seat than I thought I needed and he was right.
    I agree. Go with a Tad. A friend of mine is 5'11" and has a very long hip to knee ratio. She had to go up a seat size (used saddle) in order to fit well. I am in the process of looking for a Tad as well. I have an older Crosby Sovereign (iirc) and have always enjoyed the deeper seat. Since riding in her Tad I feel like the flatter seat helps me equitate better and I have more freedom for jumping. It was akward feeling at first because the saddle is made for horse comfort, not rider, however I am a true believer and devoted Tad saddle lover now.

I had issues with a number of saddles when I was shopping. I rode in a Black Country that hurt so bad I could hardly walk after 10 minutes. I had to ride in it for a while and would just shorten my stirrups a few holes and post as high as I could.

The CWD and Antares that I tried had similar, although less drastic results. Even the saddle I ended up with, a Bruno Delgrange was worrisome in the half-deep and deep seats. I was pretty sure I wanted a flat seat but they didn't have any on the trailer when I tried. When I finally got to try one, I was suprised that I wasn't going to have to do the "female pommel" as the rep called it. I've had the saddle 2+ years with no issue.

BTW...looking at me no one would ever say I have long legs, but reps are surprised by the length of my femur when they get me in a saddle. I went with a forward flap, but didn't have to go with the most forward of the options.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"