The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Working moms- what do you do? How is your work/ life balance? Any time saving tips?

Just curious how others manage to keep it all together

Make meals in triple batches and freeze the extra to thaw on work nights so you don't always have to cook.

Pack lunches at the same time and the same thing to save time.

De-clutter frequently to cut down on cleaning time. Clean as you go... Like put your purse away instead of dumping it on the floor to be picked up later. If you can swing it, a cleaning service every other week cuts down on chores.

Clean te bathroom during bathtime.

Involve kids in cleaning and chores-- more family time.

Try not to work between getting home and bedtime. Use that for kids/spouse.

I feel like I do well most weeks. There are busy times, but most of the time I love te balance.

Cooking is the hardest thing for me to stay on top of. I clean one room each night of the week, typically while my munchkin is playing in the tub. Everything else gets shoved into a time slot somewhere especially since hubby is deployed.

Quote Originally Posted by AirForceWife View Post
    Cooking is the hardest thing for me to stay on top of. I clean one room each night of the week, typically while my munchkin is playing in the tub. Everything else gets shoved into a time slot somewhere especially since hubby is deployed.
    Triple your meals and freeze them in meal-sized portions. Really. Biggest time saver ever, and I have frozen basically everything. That way you can cook when you have time and only then. I cook on the weekends or after bedtime.

In my car, between work, home, and the barn!

I work full-time. DH is a stay-at-home dad, but practically speaking that still means I do most of the cooking and cleaning - we just don't use daycare. Have three kiddos and one on the way. I do get to work from home twice a week, and that helps immensely - the other three days I commute an hour each way into Washington DC.

I have gotten used to a little mess - cleaning can wait. I get the kids involved in the cleaning - if we all take an hour or two and clean up on Saturday or Sunday, then we can go to the park or the barn or do something fun. I work early hours, but that means I can usually get home in time to pick up the oldest from school and have time with everyone before dinner.

Honestly, the biggest thing is cutting myself some slack. My hosue is cluttered but clean enough right now, and I'm not stressing about it. We're having frozen pizzas for dinner tonight - I allow myself that once a week and the kids *so* look forward to pizza night! So it's not healthy - we all had some extra fruit and veggies with lunch; we'll survive.

There are days when I really long for a clean house and a nice, fancy, "grown-up" meal, though.

I work from home three days a week and that really helps. I can toss in laundry when I'm on a conference call (muted), feed the horses after my DH/kid go off to work, and again at 5 before they get home. I keep my horses out 24/7 whenever possible and that helps keep chores to a minimum. They come in their stalls for meals, I refill the whole-bale haynets as needed, check the auto-waterer and pick the run-in while they eat, then done -- 15 minutes tops, twice a day. Not doing blankets this year since I'm pregnant -- usually I blanket the ones in work, change as necessary while they are eating.

For the days I'm at the office I have a few 15 minute meals on my roster, or I use the crockpot so I just make some rice or egg noodles when I get home and voila, dinner. One of those plus a frozen veggie in the microwave and a piece of fruit = well-balanced meal.

I have someone clean my house every 2 weeks, which REALLY helps. Totally worth the $$. I keep it tidy in between.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Martini View Post
    personally, I really just don't (keep it all together)

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MILOUTE55 View Post
    personally, I really just don't (keep it all together)
    Ditto. I keep it all together for everyone else, but there's never any time left for myself. Reaching the end of the rope and throwing a tantrum about being underappreciated and never having help does buy a few days reprieve though (... not that I'm suggesting that... at least not more than maybe once every 6 months or so).
    Jer 29: 11-13

2 members found this post helpful.

I 2nd a cleaning lady. Every 2 weeks she scours the house. Its great. And re-messed in 2 days.
    My laundry is so overwhelming. We're installing a 2nd washer.
    I also work from home a few times a week. I havent seen my horses in 2 weeks. The dog's overdue for bloodwork, the cat needs shots. I'm having an existential crisis of career vs baby.

I was doing great til one of my co-workers took a new job and I had to fill two jobs and at the same time our every other week cleaning person had to have surgery. I think I have the replacement trained after 6 weeks, but I am feeling underwater.

I do work from home one day a week and it makes such a difference just being able to get 4 or 5 loads of laundry in between calls. I don't hit Saturday and have to deal with Mount Clothesmore. I need to try cooking ahead- do you just prep before freezing, or cook it too? I'd love any other tips.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Martini View Post
    I think it's a total myth that working moms can "keep it all together" - there just aren't enough hours in the day after commuting, unless you're also one of those people that doesn't need sleep.

I think the biggest thing is to pick and choose what you can have control over and deal with. I let a lot of stuff slide these days and sometimes I hate looking at the dust bunnies and feel bad that SO does the vast majority of the cooking but it's what gets us through the day. Funny thing is, as crazed as I feel, I'm sure someone somewhere is looking at me going "wow she really has it all together!!" while they are feeling equally crazed and tired.

And I only have one. hahahaha.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm currently struggling with this...I have an almost 1yo and am pregnant with number 2, due in May 2013. I work full time out of the home and my husband works 60+ hours a week.

I was able to lease out my horse in September so I dont have that guilt laying on me now...but also miss that 1 day a week of "me time" when I got to go to the barn to look at him.

I really try to plan a weeks worth of meals at a time but lately I have been slacking. My house is a huge mess.

I would REALLY like a house keeper to come every couple of weeks but my husband is weird about having people in the house...I suppose I could just hire one and take all the glory of finally figureing out how to balance it all, lol.

Now that the horse is gone, I am REALLY struggling with me time...I dont get any and I know thats only going to get worse when #2 comes along. Hubby gets home around 8pm every night and works Saturdays...Sundays is our only family day together. Even my commute to work is with the child...I would kill for a few hours by myself...even at home doing nothing.
    Busy Bee Farm, Ellijay, GA
    Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly
    Way Back Texas~04/20/90-09/17/08
    Green Alligator "Captain"

I'm failing miserably at balancing everything right now. I work 40 hours a week and am working on a master's degree. My house is a disaster, my yard looks terrible, and I simply cannot catch up. I feel like I get home with my daughter and it's a rush to get in dinner, bath, her kindergarten homework, and storytime in before bed. I really need to stay up late one night cooking for the week. Maybe that would at least be a step in the right direction.

Belair...thats me...I really just need to pull an all nighter and clean, cook, etc...but I am so tired as is...I fell asleep at 8:30 last night and still feel like I could sleep another 10 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by caffeinated View Post
    I think it's a total myth that working moms can "keep it all together" - there just aren't enough hours in the day after commuting, unless you're also one of those people that doesn't need sleep.
    I agree. The phrase "jack of all trades and master of none" comes to mind. I feel like everything I do is half-assed. I get it done, but...

At the end of the day, I feel like I could have done a better job at work. I feel like I could have been more patient with the kids. I have guilt if I couldn't be a more active participant in homework or story time. And I'm often also a bit irritated with my husband that he's not taking up more slack with his kids (I'm stepmom). I currently have no sick or vacation time at work because I took so much time off to recover from a recent ectopic, and the kids both had nasty stomach bugs this past week. If I could just take a day or two for myself with no obligations, it would be so refreshing. Yet, like you, everyone seems to think I have it together while I'm internally reflecting back on those moments in time when I could ride, read, use the bathroom without being followed...

One of my co-workers with three kids just switched to part-time. I'm very, very tempted to follow in her footsteps.
    Jer 29: 11-13

Quote Originally Posted by relocatedTXjumpr View Post
    Belair...thats me...I really just need to pull an all nighter and clean, cook, etc...but I am so tired as is...I fell asleep at 8:30 last night and still feel like I could sleep another 10 hours.
    Yeah, if I sit down on the sofa with the intention of relaxing for a bit and maybe watching a little TV, I fall asleep. Uggh...

I run a farm and work a crazy number of hours each week. Having weekends off is questionable at best, haven't had one in a month. My house is not as clean or de-cluttered as I would like the vast majority of the time. Since I'm a neat freak this does get to me sometimes. I'm getting better at planning a week of meals, buying the appropriate groceries, and trying to do things like chopping a bunch of stuff ahead of time. I'm having a day "off" today - hahahahahahahaha - and I've done a mountain of laundry, cleaned the house, paid bills, done bookkeeping, caught up on some client communication and of course I've had my little boy with me all day. I wouldn't need both hands to count the number of times I've ridden my horse in the last couple of years. I think the "having it all" concept is a complete myth.

Everyone around me definitely thinks I have it all together and I guess I do - for everyone else. I need to find a way to work myself back into things, sounds like we all do!!

I would LOVE to go to part time but my job carries our medical coverage. I basiclly work to pay for insurance and daycare.

I have resigned to myself that the horse is just going to have to wait a while...which does suck since it was my olny me time..as few and far between as those times have been int he past year.

I understand with family comes sacrafice but I think my sanity has gone out of the window.

Its def a tough and no glory job...very little appreciation and reward for non stop work. I think as women we are hard wired to "think" we must do it all and do it all while wearing pearls and heels and a smile...I just want my paddock boots and dirty jeans back.

Quote Originally Posted by relocatedTXjumpr View Post
    I feel like this every morning when I wake up, it's like I don't rest even though I sleep. :/

Quote Originally Posted by onthebit View Post
    I think the "having it all" concept is a complete myth.
    This. And once you realize it, and let go of the notion, life gets so much easier.

I work from home, hubby has had a very demanding job. We have two kids, 6 and 2. Life is craziness, most of the time. I use the crockpot and the grill a lot. As long as the kitchen/baths are reasonably clean, and the laundry is washed, I don't worry too much about toys being out or laundry not necessarily being folded right away.

I don't have a ton of time for me. When I had one kid it was easier to bounce out of the house and go ride for a few hours. Now with two kids, it's harder, especially since the 6 year old has her own activities now.

We are making some pretty drastic life changes this winter. Hubby is leaving his job and taking one that is much less demanding. We are buying a farm and will be running a seasonal business there. I suspect my freelance graphic design, which I've been doing for 10 years, will go by the wayside.

The house will probably be messier now that we will have a farm to take care of... but eh if everyone is happy, healthy, fed and reasonably clean.... we are good to go.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.