The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Backstage View Post
    two sticks - I appreciate you sharing your experience. I have heard a few murmurs of horror stories, but yours had enough details to be food for thought.

Of course, to make things more complicated...I could consider opting for an extended warranty to cover off my risk on that front.

I do share two sticks question, though...if you haven't had any issues, how many KMs/miles have you racked up?

I am not a high mileage driver, but I do put 20-24,000 KMS/12-14,000 miles on a car in a year.

How do you find the ground clearance? Will parking in a grass field at a horse show be problematic? What about winter driving? How does it handle and how does it deal with snow?
    Backstage, I think they are the cutest cars, and I used to drive one when I lived in the UK (back in the previous century). I also used to work for British Leyland, and drove one then...
    For our climate though? I wouldn't do it. One of my barn helpers had one, and we spent a lot of time pushing her out of the driveway. The low clearance meant that she got stuck just on the snow underneath.
    And driving over the irregular, often rutted fields at a horse show? oy. I can hear the bottom scraping now.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    For our climate though? I wouldn't do it. One of my barn helpers had one, and we spent a lot of time pushing her out of the driveway. The low clearance meant that she got stuck just on the snow underneath.
    And driving over the irregular, often rutted fields at a horse show? oy. I can hear the bottom scraping now.
    My Clubman has the same, or perhaps more, clearance than the Honda Civic that I drove everywhere. I never had any trouble with either car driving on the horribly rutted and potholed, muddy driveway of previous boarding barns, except one weird tire pressure monitor system glitch. The Clubman has never gone to a horse show, but the Civic handled bouncing across the grounds just fine. I have driven both on small amounts of snow just fine, but knew going in with either car that I would not drive much in snow as we have a Subaru AWD for that.

1 members found this post helpful.

deep in the CT wilds near...the 200yr flood zone

Another virtual Mini wave. (I forgot to mention that perk. An exuberant grin and wave from other Mini drivers. ) Congratulations!

And just a suggestion for personalizing your new ride's tailgate:

http://www.purplemoon.com/Stickers/images/lifeg-hrs.gif
    This it be all wot we want in life, wenn peoples dey loff us. ~ Willem

Reviving this older thread to ask Mini folks -- have any of you installed or used a bike rack with your Mini?

I want to make sure of the best way to carry a bike, if I should make this decision.

Thanks!
    *Proud member of the Hoof Fetish Clique*
    I have Higher Standards ...do you? Find us on FB!
    Higher Standards Custom Leather Care -- Handcrafted Saddle Soap

I don't know how reliable it is either, but the Fiat company just came out with a new station wagon type model (I think it is called S), that is larger than previous Fiat and is finished/competitive to the Mini Cooper and is less $, perhaps able to buy one new for the same price as a used Mini? They have a promotion where navigation system is included free the first year car is offered.

The Mini's look cute on the outside (I don't own one), but the interior...I think looking all the time at those huge round gauges would drive me nutz! I guess owners love them but I just can't stand the way the big clunky gauges look. I am interior car picky as that is where we spend most of our time..

I don't own one and don't plan to but I think they are darling

Only thing bad about them from what I can tell is that they are made by BMW (I am of the judgy pants personal opinion that BMW is the white trash of luxury or sport cars). Oh, and every time I see one I say "Mini-POOPER" out loud and giggle at my 6th grade wittyness
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

Quote Originally Posted by two sticks View Post
    PS I would be curious to know if anyone here who loves theirs is at 50K + miles. That is where my problems started. The mini dealership told me they "were not designed to be high mileage cars or cars for the daily driver who covers a lot of distance." At 120K miles the dealership told me "They had never seen one make it to that high of mileage." Maybe it's just because I live in CA and commute, but I do not think 120K is unreasonably high mileage for a car.
    I still love mine and have over 120,000 miles. It is expensive if something goes wrong, just bought a new clutch at the beginning of the year $$$. I'm going to hang on to this car until I can't any longer as I don't want a car payment again.

Oh goodness this thread is old, just noticed... Sorry!

It is old, but I revived it in the hope that someone here had a bike rack for theirs.
    *Proud member of the Hoof Fetish Clique*
    I have Higher Standards ...do you? Find us on FB!
    Higher Standards Custom Leather Care -- Handcrafted Saddle Soap

Two Sticks, you just talked both me and Mr.Chief2 out of owning a mini Cooper. We had been considering switching over from Honda for one. we'll be sticking with Honda or Toyota, instead. Thank you!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

Still love my Clubman and wouldn't trade it for anything, except another MINI. Since moving all my horses home, I don't drive nearly as much as I used to (working from home meant my only commute was to the boarding barn). Put over 20k on it the first year then less than 1k this last year, so my only issue has been letting the battery die when I didn't drive it for a month! Reliability in the newer models has been much better than some of the earlier ones, so I keep that in mind when hearing horror stories.