The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I have a 2012 Cooper convertible, which honestly the convertible allows me to haul all kinds of things with the top down -- such as rails for Lowes when I built cavaletti, etc. I bough the extended warranty AND the maintenance plan. I'm at 18K miles. I love the car. No problems. Of course, now that I am building up my 6 acres into a farm, I'm thinking of buying a pickup next year. Hoping my husband will agree to let me keep the mini somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by PletchersMom View Post
    Yes you can run reg tires instead of run flats on the S but where are you going to store the spare when it takes up all the room in the back hatch?
    You buy the base model and there is a spare and room for it under the back deck. That was part of my motivation for the base over the S (plus the base supposedly has less mechanical issues, price was lower, and gas mileage better). But, yeah, if you have no room for a spare, you'd be best to go with the run flats and buy the insurance. And endure the ride!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by horsepoor View Post
    You buy the base model and there is a spare and room for it under the back deck. That was part of my motivation for the base over the S (plus the base supposedly has less mechanical issues, price was lower, and gas mileage better). But, yeah, if you have no room for a spare, you'd be best to go with the run flats and buy the insurance. And endure the ride!
    That's the issue with the "S". The supercharged stuff takes up room where the spare tire would normally go. So if you don't buy an S then you don't need run flats.

Quote Originally Posted by PletchersMom View Post
    That's the issue with the "S". The supercharged stuff takes up room where the spare tire would normally go. So if you don't buy an S then you don't need run flats.
    Right. That's what I meant when I said if you don't have room for the spare, yes, you are pretty much stuck with the run flats. But that was part of the criteria I used in choosing to go base not S.

I have a 2007 base model cooper I bought new with... wait for it... 130k on it. It still runs great, and while I won't say I've had no issues at all - at 130k, that's any car. Still original clutch (point of pride, haha) and I think I've done a water pump but repairs haven't been absurd. It's been to quite a few horse shows and managed the grass just fine. Very good in snow because it's so short - I think it might literally be impossible to fishtail it. Mine is manual which obv improves snow handling. Easier than some 4wd stuff in the snow until there's a clearance issue, but you have that with any non suv or truck. I happily zoomed along while people in suvs struggled in winter garbage. I park in nyc all the time and the small size is great for finding spots.
    I still lke my mini and if a tree had fallen on kt thanks to Sandy, I'd be looking at another mini or a bmw one series.

Right after we went our separate ways, exSO bought one. Terrible.

We were supposed to share our dog, and now he won't because of the car.

She is an Irish Wolfhound.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Mine has 104K so far, no problems, just routine maintenance.

You could put regular gas in it, but, the gas mileage is better with premium, so that's a wash. Go with regular tires, not run-flats, and the base rather than the S-coupe.

I did a ton of research on Minis before I bought mine. They often last well into the 200K range. Everyone I've met who owns one has been happy with it. There are TONS of Mini Coopers in my area, it's not unusual to see three parked in the same block. People come out of the woodwork to oooh-and-ahhh over this car!!! And I get lots of rubber-neckers and waves while driving. Partly due to the color -- light sea green with a white top (silk green as Mini calls it).

Here's a Mini site you can check out: http://www.dcmetrominis.org/forums/
    Horse & Dog Designs: Clothing, Pendants, Water Bottles, Totes, Phone Cases, ETC:
    WoofNWhinny*
    NEW: Schnauzers, Boxers, Western, & Polo Ponies

Horsey Humor, Ponies, Barn Safety & More.

I hope you are all happy. I remain completely confused about my feelings on the Mini. Lots of good reviews, but lingering concerns on reliability (not just from this thread, but someone always seems to know someone with a horror story). Its just so darn cute and tempting!

Quote Originally Posted by Backstage View Post
    I hope you are all happy. I remain completely confused about my feelings on the Mini. Lots of good reviews, but lingering concerns on reliability (not just from this thread, but someone always seems to know someone with a horror story). Its just so darn cute and tempting!
    I'm sorry! If you aren't completely positive either way, I would take some time to look at other cars that may suit your needs. If there are dealerships close to you, test drive some other vehicles and see if you fall in love with anything. In the end it comes down to your personal preferences - what is more important to you? A cute car that may be more expensive to maintain, or a "regular" more reliable and affordable car? There's nothing wrong with either decision - to some people it's just transportation while to others it is more important to have a nice/cute/fast/whatever car.

If you do a search I know there have been some car recommendation threads on past Off Topic days. I love my mazda 3 - we have 4 or 5 people at my company who have various years and love them. We also have a lot of subarus that people seem to love. The new Fiats are similar to the mini's appearance, but I have no idea on their reliability or cost.

Of course you will find people who love each car and people who have horror stories - I hear what other people on this thread are saying about not knowing anyone who has had problems with their mini - but I know a lot of people who have major horror stories similar to mine. The fact that there are several class action lawsuits against mini for reliability issues speaks to this.
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.

www.sararoxannephotography.com
    www.facebook.com/sararoxannephotography

Two friends of mine have them and they both LOVE them...one is older and had no big problems, and the other is owned by a car fanatic that keeps it spotless and super maintained...his is also much newer......

~the back of my horse, where the view is best!

I bought mine brand new in 2006. Love it. Mine is a JCW MINI Cooper S with 55,000 on the ODO. I have been a member of DC Metro Minis and on North American Motoring, which is a discussion forum like this one dedicated to MINIs. I also work with used cars at dealerships.

The only real reliability issue the Mini has had is with the CVT (auto) transmission in the first generation of MINIs. The trans has since been discontinued in the 2nd Gens. There are some other niggling little issues that some cars may have, but no worse than any other car and better than many.

As far as mine goes, there was a TSB on the bi-metal pressure plate (part of clutch system) on my MINI that the dealership replaced for free. It didn't affect the reliability; it was just occasionally noisy.

I love my MINI and would recommend them to anyone. Whoever said they weren't designed to be a high-mileage car was fed a line by someone. There are plenty of them well over 100k.

Mine averages about 34 mpg and that is with my less than delicate right foot on the gas pedal.

I've hauled horse feed, a spare tire and rim, and myriads of other items in the back of mine.

And yes, if you look hard enough you can find cases of people who wound up with lemons. Well, BMW, Porsche and Mercedes have had lemons, too. So has Toyota, Mazda and Honda. They've all had class action law suits, so that really isn't an indicator.

Seeing hundreds upon thousands of used cars over the years, I can tell you that in general certain makes and models wear better than others (physically and mechanically). MINIs are on the end of better rather than worse. Mazdas.... not so much. No offense, two sticks, but I would take a Honda or a Toyota over a Mazda any day. But, I'd take a Mazda over a Kia or a Hyundai. You couldn't pay me to own either of them (well, they're the same company really).

When I was doing my research on cars, prior to buying my Clubman last year, I consulted Consumer Reports and edmunds.com for reviews, both by the organization and also user reviews on edmunds. So I would suggest looking there as they have lots of info to compare different makes and models, both for buying used or new.At the time, I started with a list of several possible cars and narrowed it down to 3 to actually try, based on certain criteria (I wanted a hatchback or something similar, >x mpg, price

ETA (urg...new forums ate half my post!)

Once I had my 3, we went to try them. But by doing all my research ahead of time, I was able to really figure out what I wanted and was well prepared for the dealer visits.

edmunds s a great site to consult too for info on how to choose te right vehicle and how to buy,whether new or used.

Hmmm...this is behaving super weird tonight so will see if my edits even make it.
    Last edited by horsepoor; Nov. 1, 2012 at 11:30 PM. Reason: New system not happy with my post!

I bought a 2006 Mini Cooper S hardtop new, and am about to hit 150K miles with it. I sold it last weekend on Ebay, and bought a 2010 Clubman S. My first one has been quite reliable, obviously over 100,000 miles I've had to do some repairs, but nothing that was unreasonable - new battery, work on the clutch, etc. It's been a fabulous car for me - about a year after buying the car, I adopted a Great Dane, and she is OBSESSED with the Mini - she completely adores riding in it. However, I am having to drive her to Raleigh a lot in rush hour traffic, and didn't feel like I could secure her very safely in the regular Mini, so I decided it was time to be practical and upgrade to an SUV. Well, I test drove about every SUV out there, and I just couldn't do it. Although I was really not in love with the Clubman or Countryman when they came out, I decided that they were a perfect compromise. More room for the dog, still just as much fun to drive. They are definitely not for everyone, but I can't imagine driving anything else, I adore them.

I know quite a few people that have bought mini's and love them. The one problem in this town is the nearest dealer is just outside of Atlanta, and the local BMW dealer won't service them. I've always been reluctant to buy something without a local dealer, but if you find a good mechanic that won't be a problem.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

I looked at getting a mini clubman this spring, but was really put off by the problems posted on the mini forums. I too know people who love them....and then you find out that they've had major problems at 15,000 miles that required multiple days in the shop....but they still love them and weren't bothered by the repairs because the work was under warranty and they got a loaner car. The most telling thing I read was that a lot of people on the mini boards were trading in their minis before the warranty period expired so they could get a new one with a new warranty. I understand loving a car, but when you can't afford to keep it when it isn't under warranty anymore, there is a problem. My current cars did not have any major issues that needed to be covered under warranty. Such a shame, since it is a cute car and I liked them when I rode in them.

I bought my 2012 Mini S Convertible last December. Absolutely love it!! It's the first car that I've ever had that I can say that about. All my other cars have just been transportation - some more comfortable than others, but still just transportation. My Mini isn't like that, just driving it makes me happy!

deep in the CT wilds near...the 200yr flood zone

I had an 07 Mini S that I loved. Named it, was a blast to drive, super fuel efficient, no mechanical problems, handled the uber winter we had here in 2010, trundling along without a slip or spin, then in April of 2011 on a clear, dry, beautiful spring day a guy in an SUV ran a red light doing sixty and tore the front end off my car. The car did a 360 in the intersection, dissipating the energy. Engine was broken away from its housing, driven against the driver's side firewall, but didn't continue into the passenger compartment. The interior of the car didn't reflect any of the catastrophic damage it had just suffered. I cried and told friends he took a bullet for me, protecting me to the end. So keep in the back of your mind when looking at cars, Minis are not little death traps.

I couldn't wait to get another one and bought a 09 Mini S in June of 2011. I haven't had any mechanical issues. It performs as well, if not better, than my 07 Mini S. And having to drive the rental cars my insurance company provided while the claims were being settled made me really appreciate what a Mini offers that other cars don't. But everyone is different. You might not like a fun driving experience, grinning when you come out of tight turns, not having to tank up frequently or murmuring to your pick up driving DH when he's behind the wheel, "You know you're doing ninety..."
    This it be all wot we want in life, wenn peoples dey loff us. ~ Willem

Drove it. Loved it. Bought it.

More or less, anyway. I drove a regular mini and a clubman last week, really liked them but spent the weekend trying to convince myself that it wasn't practical. This morning I got a call that there was a 2010 Clubman available with many more features than I had originally been looking for but at the same price point. So, I've pulled the trigger and should have the car sometime next week. I will be opting for the extended warranty and consider it to be money well spent if only for the peace of mind.

Probably my most impulsive purchase ever, but I am really looking forward to driving her around.

Congratulations, you'll love her!!!! Welcome to the club!

Congratulations! I'm too far away to run into you on the roads, but will give you a virtual MINI wave (well, guess the only smilie close to a wave is a thumbs up). You are going to love it and have so much fun!