The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Losing Weight -

Since I turned 45 I have gained weight around the middle - about 10 lbs, I would like to lose that weight - question is how. I watch what I eat, my SO had heart surgery last year so we eat healthy. I ride 2 - 3 horses a night. I walk on my lunch hour. What other things can I try? I am not overweight, but I still would like to lose the 10 lbs before show season next year. Any ideas?

The last 10 always seem to be the hardest. I've lost 40 in a year, but I've been working on the last few for about 6 months now. The progress is slow, but it's happening and I've got 2 to go now.

What has helped me is strength training. I hate gyms, so I mostly do body weight resistance exercises with some hand weights or a band for added resistance. I'm almost finished with Jillian Michaels' Body Revolution program and will then move on to P90X. A lot of women avoid heavy lifting because they are afraid they will get "man muscles". This is absolutely not the case, since we lack the testosterone necessary for that to happen.

Make sure you are getting plenty of protein, some carbs, and healthy fats and eating enough. One of the most common mistakes in weight loss is undereating. I log all of my food at www.myfitnesspal.com There is a CotH group over there as well, but it is fairly inactive. A lot of folks who joined us at the start of the year have dropped out. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/h...-horse-fitness

If you join MFP, look me up. My username there is skylark94
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett

Sukhoikris on MFP.

I've lost 18 since July.

I've been hitting the gym every morning with Mr. Honda and I make sure I do 1min bursts of "go as hard as I physically can" and then recover on a lower pace through out my workout.

Hardly any soda, sugar, etc.

One of my medications is gabapentin and its made me again... *sigh*
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzywriter View Post
    My saddle fits perfectly well. It might be a little tight around the waist, but I take care of that with those spandex things.

Cutting the carbs helped me. I remember MistyBlue had posted about avoiding white - bread, potatoes, sugar. I've cut back and dropped a little over 10 without changing my exercise levels
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

I have lost about 35 pounds over about a year. I just count calories. I eat 1500 calories a day and burn 300 working out to net 1200. You can figure out what your deficit needs to be to lose weight. Mine is a little extreme but I do it because when I don't get a chance to work out I don't feel like I wasn't "good" that day because when I feel like that then I just end up eating more. Good luck. I have 15-20 to go though 10 would be completely acceptable.

Sadly- I've found that those last extra pounds (especially in that area) all had to do with diet and not so much exercise (personal experience)...

If you can fully cut out sugar and white "stuff" (pasta, breads, rice, etc)... They'll come off!

Good luck!! Also- as a side note: sometimes it's a "hormonal thing" too... so if you absolutely can't get rid of it, you may want to see where your hormone levels are (less frustrating as you can a- address them, b- not beat yourself up if you don't see things moving).
    Proudly living in my "let's save the world bubble"!

Counting calories- you can eat healthy and still take in more calories than you are burning off.
    A nutritionist gave me a general rule of thumb years ago of aiming for less than 1500 calroies a day for women and 2000 for men if trying to lose weight. I use this general rule of thumb when I am trying to lose.
    I also only lose weight when I put more cardio in my workout- walking and riding don't do it for me. I need something that gets my heart rate up and I do weights.
    Recent studies have shown that short, maximum intensity interval training gets you fitter and burns more calories than a steady state of equal or even longer length. So 1 minute on with 2-3 minutes off in intensity where the minute on is total max effort (cannot talk, cannot do more effort) for 20 minutes is much more effective than a moderate to high intensity for 20 minutes.
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.(Churchill)

90% of the time I eat home-prepared whole real foods, no white starches at all, good macro balance, lots of veggies, only the occasional portion-controlled treat - in other words, I eat healthy, I "watch what I eat".

And I'm eating at a surplus. I'm doing it on purpose, I'm trying to build muscle mass, but eating healthy and eating at a deficit are completely separate things. Especially trying to lose that "last 5/10 lbs" you need very careful balance, to avoid going into either a surplus or a too-sharp deficit, since neither will give you the results you want. You can ballpark your caloric intake using any number of different online calculators, then adjust it based on your own results (because you might have a faster or slower metabolism than "average", for ex).

Ok I eat about 1300 calories a day. That includes my 2 glasses of wine at nightI eat white wheat bread, I don't eat pasta or pizza. (I LOVE pizza I don't like veg but someone told me sweet potatoes are ok - are they right? Everything we buy is light - we watch the sodium in everything, carbs and sugars.

I would love a gym membership but can't afford one. I drive 45 min to work one way and work my horses every night until 8:30 - 9:00 p.m. Not much time to work out. I also clean my 3 horses stalls daily, clean water buckets etc and ride every night. So I have been trying to just do it with watching what I eat and the portion size.

My doctor says it is do to age the my hormones changing but I still don't like the extra weight. I would feel better if I could fit into my old clothes again.

Quote Originally Posted by ArabX3 View Post
    Ok I eat about 1300 calories a day. That includes my 2 glasses of wine at nightI eat white wheat bread, I don't eat pasta or pizza. (I LOVE pizza I don't like veg but someone told me sweet potatoes are ok - are they right? Everything we buy is light - we watch the sodium in everything, carbs and sugars.

I would love a gym membership but can't afford one. I drive 45 min to work one way and work my horses every night until 8:30 - 9:00 p.m. Not much time to work out. I also clean my 3 horses stalls daily, clean water buckets etc and ride every night. So I have been trying to just do it with watching what I eat and the portion size.

My doctor says it is do to age the my hormones changing but I still don't like the extra weight. I would feel better if I could fit into my old clothes again.
    1300 may be a bit low for you, especially if some of that is wine. I'm generally very sedentary other than my 30 minute workout 5 days a week and I aim for 1550-1800 calories per day.

As you age, strength training becomes very important in order to keep your metabolism up (muscle burns calories) and to protect your bones. As others have suggested, high intensity intervals can also be a great workout. Long steady cardio is pretty much useless in the long term.

As for the white foods. I don't believe anyone needs to give them up unless there is a medical reason such as diabetes, thyroid, or PCOS. It may be worth asking your doctor if any of these could be issues for you.

I got down to the last 10 pounds and while I haven't lost a pound....I've lost the bulge in my tummy by cutting out as much processed sugars as possible. I will not buy anything with over 12grams of sugar (unless it's fruit) and I try to stick carbs like Cheerios (1 gram sugar), Oatmeal (0 grams sugar).....Granted, my weight hasn't changed..but I do lift weights two times a week and I run daily..but my mid section is toning up...so much that now I have found new sections of my body that bug me now....lol

check out the other thread going on here about getting off of sugar. Also do a search for "paleo".

Also, walking is great for low impact and doing some moving is better than nothing. But its not going to build muscle, which is what you really want to help keep your body a fat burning machine. I would definitely start a weight lifting program, preferably with the help of a professional if you've never done it before. And the only thing I can say is DO NOT BE AFRAID TO LIFT HEAVY (and I'm not talking hand weights here-I'm talking legit barbell work). Lifting heavy, when done with the proper guidance and form, does a body good!

Yeah, for someone who's relatively active, and on a daily basis to boot, you might be eating too little and that might be making it harder (caveat: provided your estimate is close to correct. I thought I was estimating my portions well, until I bought a food scale O__O). It really is a careful balance, eat too little and your metabolism will start to down-regulate to match the deficit intake - that makes loss harder, and re-gain very very easy. It's a trap many people fall into.

As you get older muscle mass also naturally gets lower, unless you work to preserve it. Higher muscle mass translates into overall faster metabolic rate (not as much as weight lifters like to think, but some). A weight routine could be something to add, you don't need a gym, you could start with body-weight exercises

1 members found this post helpful.

Putting on excess fat on your belly is strongly linked to eating too many carbohydrates- in many people it's the end result of your body shifting towards a prediabetic state due to the constant intake of high-glycemic index foods. If you're depositing belly fat, especially if you never did before, you should cut out entirely or at least dramatically reduce your intake of starches and high-glycemic-index foods.

For losing weight in general, just eat fewer calories than you burn off each day. That's it. You can increase the amount of calories you burn per minute by doing muscle-building exercises- one of the reasons why people tend to gradually gain weight as they get older is because their muscle mass starts to gradually go away as they get older, so they need fewer calories each year but still eat the same amount of calories, so each year they put on an extra pound or two and it accumulates. You can reverse the process by building the muscles back up.

I'll second the suggestion for some sort of strength training--I was always of the mind that all I needed was more cardio until I saw what a huge difference it makes. Jillian Michaels videos are good, and I'm pretty sure quite a few of them are quick--the whole workout shouldn't take much over 30 minutes. And you don't need to commit to a workout every day--you're already pretty active, so really, 2-3 resistance workouts a week are probably all you need.

I also LOVE lovingfit.com--the workouts are super hard so you'll have to modify to begin, but you absolutely WILL see a difference in your body composition in a few weeks. You can also try Zuzanna Light's workouts--most of them are intense but also very short (sub 15 minutes). Just ignore the giant boobies...the workouts are good, I promise! There's a nice list of them here: http://litealloy.com/workouts/tags

I would focus less on calories and more on basing your meals around fruits and veggies and making sure you get a quality protein (lean meat, nuts, tofu, whatever floats your boat...) at each meal. (This is the not fun part for me--while I like healthy food, I also really like my baked goods )

Good luck! The last 10 are always the hardest.
    Last edited by Natalie; Oct. 31, 2012 at 04:15 PM. Reason: clarity

i lost 40 this year with the help of hcg. most of it came from my abdomen and i finally have a waist again.
    i have another 25/30 i'd like to lose and am starting protocol again tomrrow.
    it's the first time EVER i've looked forward to eating properly, eating clean taught me just how bad i feel when i don't!
    yes it's a process and a habit i have to practice to stay clean.
    i try to eat paleo when not on paleo and it helps my waistline immensely.
    here's the website i use for support if you'd like to research it a bit.
    http://hcgdietinfo.com/hcgdietforums/f23/

Quote Originally Posted by suz View Post
    i lost 40 this year with the help of hcg. most of it came from my abdomen and i finally have a waist again.
    i have another 25/30 i'd like to lose and am starting protocol again tomrrow.
    it's the first time EVER i've looked forward to eating properly, eating clean taught me just how bad i feel when i don't!
    yes it's a process and a habit i have to practice to stay clean.
    i try to eat paleo when not on paleo and it helps my waistline immensely.
    here's the website i use for support if you'd like to research it a bit.
    http://hcgdietinfo.com/hcgdietforums/f23/
    HCG is an expensive placebo. There are absolutely zero human studies as to its effectiveness for weight loss. Anyone will lose weight on such a low calorie diet, but this lifestyle is not sustainable. Eating low calorie for an extended periods will result in muscle loss (muscle burns calories) hair loss, brittle nails, and a host of other issues.

I speak from years of experience. Crash diets don't work. You have to change how you live and eat in healthy and sustainable way.

Quote Originally Posted by Curb Appeal View Post
    HCG is an expensive placebo. There are absolutely zero human studies as to its effectiveness for weight loss. Anyone will lose weight on such a low calorie diet, but this lifestyle is not sustainable. Eating low calorie for an extended periods will result in muscle loss (muscle burns calories) hair loss, brittle nails, and a host of other issues.

I speak from years of experience. Crash diets don't work. You have to change how you live and eat in healthy and sustainable way.

you are absolutely entitled to your opinion.
    i've mostly learned how to eat paleo this way and it works for me.
    why discourage others for whom it might also work?

Quote Originally Posted by suz View Post
    you are absolutely entitled to your opinion.
    i've mostly learned how to eat paleo this way and it works for me.
    why discourage others for whom it might also work?
    Why discourage? Because of the reasons I stated above. It's an expensive placebo that cause you to do damage to your body and metabolism. There have been ZERO medical studies that show HCG does what the quacks who sell it claim. The only studies done have shown the HCG does nothing. Anyone who eats 500-1000 calories per day will lose weight, HCG or no.

I do think it's great that you have found a sustainable style of eating that may work for you. Many of my friends over at My Fitness Pal are paleo eaters. Keep that up...just skip the gimmics and eat a healthy number of calories.

"My Fitness Pal" is a wonderful program. I didn't find out about it until I had already started at "Calorie Count" so I never got to join the group. However, I have, so far, lost 87 pounds at "Calorie Count." http://caloriecount.about.com/foods

I like that site because it not only helps you count calories, but lets you know if your nutrition is balanced and you are eating good foods. It also has forums where you can go to ask questions and get help from others who are experiencing the same types of weight loss problems.

One thing I learned is that I lose weight better when I vary my calorie intake. I'm through the heavy dieting now, but, while I was really going for a substantial, regular, loss, I would eat 1300 calories for a week or two, then move to 1400 calories for an similar period of time, then 1500 calories, then back down to 1300. That seemed to help avoid the metabolism bumps that can sometimes occur when you are eating to lose weight; where your metabolism adjusts for the low amount of calories and your weight loss shuts down.

I think it's harder to lose a small amount of weight like 10 pounds, then to get into a program like I did, where I'm trying to lose a larger amount. I wish you much good luck. One thing I question, though. And, it has to do with age. I'm in my sixties. I'm dieting to get down to a healthy weight. For me, that healthy weight is higher than it was when I was younger. I'm 5'6", and medium framed. When I plug that information, plus my age into the BMI calculator, I come up with a weight that is much higher than I weighed when I was in my twenties and thirties. It may be that, as we age, it's just not healthy to weigh the same as we did when we were younger. So, my question is, have you used a BMI calculator to see if you even need to lose the weight?
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.