The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Upholstery Fabric Treatment?

Do upholstery fabric treatments (Scotchgard or similar) work? We have a vintage couch with good bones that needs to be reupholstered. We also have cats -- and the occasional, umm... incident. So before I spend the money to get the couch reupholstered (I could do it myself, but there's that time thing....), do the fabric treatments work to repel stains/odors? Which treatment? Can I do it myself or is it better to have it applied "at the factory"?

Thanks!
    Lorree
    Quote Originally Posted by King's Ransom
    "Now, did you really mean that I should half-pass to the right whilst turning on the haunches to the left? Or was that just you farting?"

I think most stain treatments are done at the store, and not the factory (that's why I'm sitting on my new vinyl couches, not fabric). I think the microfiber ones handle water well, but I'm sticking with vinyl for now. I think you can do home stain treatements, but make sure everything dries totally before putting cushions back down, or the fabric can deteriorate (that was a problem with spray on scotchgard treatments that weren't just on the fabric at the factory).
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Any other thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?

Lorree
    Quote Originally Posted by King's Ransom
    "Now, did you really mean that I should half-pass to the right whilst turning on the haunches to the left? Or was that just you farting?"

Look into having it reupholstered with Crypton fabrics. Those fabrics are specially treated by the manufacturer to be durable and pet resistant. You can actually get good deals on yardage on eBay. I bought 40 yards to redo my couch for $150. I would not do a microfiber. I had a microfiber couch and with my dogs, if it got wet it would leave these wet ring stains. Not attractive or durable at all.