The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Another vote for Wranglers and Levi's. I generally get mine from Wal-mart or Tractor Supply, but my husband bought me a pair from Macy's that I LOVE - Levi's Bootcut 512.

I am 5'4", teetering between regular which I step on, and petite which look like I shrunk my pants in the wash. I'm somewhere between an hourglass and pear shape, regardless of what size I am, so always have the gaping problem with pants. Because of it, I much prefer a higher waisted pant. A nice belt will also be your best friend. I have worn the same belt pretty much every day for the last 14 years, even with the pants that fit right and don't 'need' it.

I just want to know when 5'4" or so became "petite" - at under 5', chopping off 4 inches from my newly-purchased pants that are already petite is rather depressing! I also like Gap for a wide variety of styles (and inseam lengths!)

Well, I sell jeans in my real life I suggest that you try Gap Cury in an ankle length and see what you think. I can't see you, but, it is worth a try at least....good luck!

and when did a true size 4 become a size 2 ?!!!
    Sizing is just getting crazier and crazier.

My problem is the gaping waistband. If the pants fit my booty, the waist band is way too big. And I am not that big! But I do have a butt, and a marked waist...
    These days I have good luck with Jjill jeans (tried and true skinny or slim fit). I still have to try them on because the fit will vary WITHIN the same style /color (what's up with that??!!) but they generally fit my butt and waist really well, and aren't too long. I am 5'3 but petite pants are way too short for me.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Quote Originally Posted by Renn/aissance View Post
    I am long, but unfortunately not quite lean enough. I love Gap clothes and was really bummed that they didn't work for me.

Glad in the misery-loves-company way to know I'm not the only one having this issue.

FYI the gap long and lean jean is to help make you look long and lean you don't have to be long and lean at all to wear these jeans. They also come in a shorter ankle length.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by sophie View Post
    and when did a true size 4 become a size 2 ?!!!
    Sizing is just getting crazier and crazier.

My problem is the gaping waistband. If the pants fit my booty, the waist band is way too big. And I am not that big! But I do have a butt, and a marked waist...
    These days I have good luck with Jjill jeans (tried and true skinny or slim fit). I still have to try them on because the fit will vary WITHIN the same style /color (what's up with that??!!) but they generally fit my butt and waist really well, and aren't too long. I am 5'3 but petite pants are way too short for me.
    That is common with small waisted women in fact I have the problem with the "gap". There is also no standard size in womens sizes so you will find that they vary greatly from style to style and brand to brand. I suggest trying a curvy jean.

I'll reiterate this again--for those who have issues with too-big waist bands, it is so very easy and CHEAP to have a seamstress take in the waist, and they look great. I have done this with about half my jeans where they fit great in the leg and booty, but waistband was a few inches too big. I do the same thing with my dresses since I have to get a size up for my chest.

Do not turn down clothing you like that can fit great with minor alterations!

Quote Originally Posted by Superminion View Post
    I've been putting off jean shopping for a few weeks now (seriously. I ran errands today after chores in workout shorts, knee high muck boots, and a rain coat because I didn't want to have the jean fight). I had a baby, lost most of the weight, but my hips/thighs are shaped funny. I tried going up a size and I was swimming in them. I'm also very short, which doesn't help.

My main problem is that I seem to have an unusually long butt crack. I can pull jeans up to my armpits, but as soon as I bend down... . I'm seriously about to purchase a few pairs of overalls and call it good. I used to be a huge fan of Rue 21 jeans, since they were cheap and comfortable, but now they seem to make them all with that "got run over by a lawnmower" look that I despise.

My plan is to hit up the mall one of these days and just go store to store, making my husband give me a butt crack report. Maybe I'll blog about it. I plan to drink heavily afterwards.
    Try Eddie Bauer jeans--they do a really good job covering and ensuring that no butt-cracks will be seen, and they still look flatter with a mid-rise in front.

1 members found this post helpful.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

Quote Originally Posted by Pony+ an inch View Post
    Try Eddie Bauer jeans--they do a really good job covering and ensuring that no butt-cracks will be seen, and they still look flatter with a mid-rise in front.

I tried on every style EB has, and not one even thought about covering my butt crack!
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Default I seem to be built a lot like you, OP.

I haven't read the entire thread yet but I'm built a lot like you, OP. Between riding horses and cycling 60 mile rides on my road bike, my already hard-to-fit thighs have gotten even harder to fit! That coupled with my err, well-defined behind and smaller (well, relative to my hips) waist makes jean shopping (well, all shopping for clothes) a nightmare.

I found some great Levi's jeans at TJ Maxx this fall. They're not the ones that you find at Kohl's and such but rather the ones that normally cost upwards of $80 a pair. Of course. However, I managed to find a couple pairs on Amazon and Zappos / 6PM for less than half price.

They're the Levi's Curve ID "Bold Curve". The ones I got in the "modern rise" do not gap at my waist. I'm about a size 8 and go for the 30 waist in these with the 32 leg (they seem to run a little short, maybe). I have some of the skinnier leg (it's been years since I've worn skinny jeans but these are flattering even on me) and boot cut versions. The flares had a bit too much flare for me personally, but would be great for more business / office pants.
    Quote Originally Posted by RugBug View Post
    Don't throw away opportunities because they aren't coming in exactly the form you want them to.

Quote Originally Posted by psb View Post
    I have a larger hind end, large thighs. Wrangler Aura for women. I get mine at Tractor Supply or online.
    These are the best fitting jeans I have found for me. My waist is smaller than my hips and thighs. These work for me. And they come in long so that is a huge plus. LOVE these jeans!

Quote Originally Posted by Renn/aissance View Post

Glad in the misery-loves-company way to know I'm not the only one having this issue.
    You are certainly not the only one Renn. I am (cough) curvaceous, with a giant bum and a waist - and have real trouble finding jeans to fit.

I did get a wonderful pair at a thrift shop that fit perfectly and are now literally shredded from wear - and can't find that brand anywhere.

I am hoping someone from Canada will post suggestions for curvy body shapes - because I think we just don't have a lot of the brands mentioned.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

I always have had the gap'ey waist...but love Calvin Klein boot cut or flare jeans...they have a touch of stretch in them, but its not like you're in yoga pants!!

I'd like to know where all the 7ft tall women live. I'm 5'5 1/2", and even regulars or shorts are too long on me.

I wish stretch jeans would go away. They fit for the first few minutes out of the wash, then just grow. Having a baggy butt is not attractive.