The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    City of delusion in the state of total denial

Default I have HAD IT with shopping for jeans

I am posting this in a pair of New York and Company Low Rise Boot Cuts, one of only two that I have remaining after four years of wearing them into the ground. Sadly the company appears to have changed the style but not the name of these jeans and I can't find anything else to fit my "I rode and ran track for years and Grandma was Polish, what do you want from me" behind and legs without gapping at the waist, cutting in at the top of the thigh, or generally being unsightly. Depending on the brand, I'm either too curvy for the curvy jeans, or curvy is being used euphemistically to refer to someone who is obese, which I am not. Plus everything is now in "super skinny," which is flattering on my sister Twiggy, but not on this behind! And since when does size 8R mean "oh, you're going to have to shorten these four inches to stop stepping on them?" Plus with everyone outsourcing their manufacturing, I have to try every single bloody pair on since they're all cut a little differently...

I hereby pass the vent stick to my sisters in spirit, whom I know understand my problem...
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

2 members found this post helpful.

man, I hear ya.
    I can't find a decent pair anywhere.

if I wanted to wear stretchy pants, I'd put on sweat pants...
    that leaves me with men styles, and I am just not that straight down the hip....

I found a couple good jeans in the thrift store, but they had already been well worn, so their life expectancy is not very long...I am making - by necessity - the move to regular, non jean pants...and hating it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Have you tried Gap long and lean? I have thighs and a booty and love the way they fit.

Same here. It takes forever to find a pair of women's jeans that fit - after trying on 20+ brands/styles, then that style is discontinued usually in two years.

So I buy men's jeans. Levi and Wrangler, that way I get the right waist and length. Try on different styles to see which one best suits your body. My most recent purchase was Wrangler's boot cut jeans - from Tractor Supply.

Added bonuses - men's jeans don't change like women's jeans do and no stretch! I am with AlaGirl - stretch pants are sweats - not blue jeans.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

If you can find a Madewell store (they're a sub-unit of J Crew), try their jeans on for size. I am packing quite a rear-end despite a small waist, and I have, well, thighs. I found Madewell jeans to fit really well, and you can get a 15% discount.

And don't be afraid to get jeans that fit right in the leg but are loose around the waist--it is a quick and easy eight dollar adjustment by your local seamstress to take in the waist. It is totally worth it to have jeans that fit your body only.

for reference, I'm a curvy 8R (L depending on brand).

You described my feelings exactly. Now when I finally find a pair that fit I buy two or three.

Thinking I'm heading for the mens department. Used to be trying to fit the big bottom. Got lymphodema in left leg and the calf is several inches bigger than the other leg. Boot cuts worked for a while as well as the relaxed straight legs.
    Now they are doing the skinny legs again....wonderful! Both the boot cut and
    straight legs aren't as generous as they were before. Flares work but are hard to find although some are too much flare. And I don't really like the thinner stretchy denim much. Sigh!
    Julie
    www.centaurfencing.com
    Safer, Stronger, Lasts Longer!
    Godspeed BARBARO--Run fast and free!

It is maddening. My current favorites, rockstar skinnies from old navy, were "discontinued" in the spring and "rereleased" this fall. The sizing is completely different now and, for added fun, is completely different between colors in the line. I will say that the quality seems to be a bit better now, as in heavier better denim, but it is exasperating. I have now taken to just going to TJ Maxx and buying whatever fits and looks semi-decent. My jean supply was getting woeful. Almost impossible to find multiple pairs of the same style this way but the price point is low enough that I can stock up a little. No point in getting attached to a style anyway, right?
    bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
    free bar.ka and tidy rabbit

1 members found this post helpful.

I second ruby frees idea-go to tjmaxx and Marshall's where you can find a wide selection. Kohls also has a wide variety of jeans that are cute and inexpensive. My favorite jeans are off the rack from tjmaxx -dark, tiny bit of stretch,plain pockets, $9.99!

Seeing as how I to am Polish bread to pull a plow Or walk the runway And was in love with the exact same New York and Company Jean, Try cruel girl.
    I also have a pair of Levi's that I really love I'll get the model number for you
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Banana Republic jeans. Never gappy. Make your rear and thighs look awesome. Look for their 50% off coupons, and you can get them for $50. They fit all 5 of my best friends and me perfectly, and we have totally different body styles - it's like the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. They work for everyone!
    ~Isabel

Longhorn jeans. These were the IT jeans at Congress - for both men and women of all sizes. And they flattered everyone. And are super comfortable. A slightly higher rise than more jeans now a days.

http://www.ljcapparel.com/
    Only two emotions belong in the saddle: One is a sense of humor. The other is patience.

Levi's at Walmart. No kidding. And Lee jeans. I wore Pacific Sunwear's for years until they changed to the same manufacturer as Abercrombie (read: stick people).
    For $20 a pair, they last, I ride in them, work in them, live in them...and they stretch.
    I have big legs and am stubby.

I just bought two pairs of Lee jeans from Horse Town East and they are the best jeans I have bought in years!
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

I have a larger hind end, large thighs. Wrangler Aura for women. I get mine at Tractor Supply or online.

I second Cruel Girl... and honestly the new Wranglers are... AWESOME
    And they don't hurt the wallet!!!

That being said, I usually do ok with most of the Lucky Jeans out there!
    My biggest issue is finding LENGTH... I need LENGTH people...!!!!
    Proudly living in my "let's save the world bubble"!

Any suggestions for me? I just sized up out of the Levi's at WalMart that fit perfectly and I can't find a single pair of jeans that fit my waist and butt and aren't made for people with thighs from planet ENORMO...
    Quarry Rat

Oh man, little to add except ME TOO.

I've bought super expensive jeans on sale (valued at $200, paid $50) at a boutique.

I've combed thrift stores (my current method) for the best quality/fit I could find with some success (snagged a pair of Citizens only to have them hemmed just a BIT too short but I've dealt with it).

And also bought jeans after EYEBALLING the fit. Horrible choice (at thrift store with no dressing rooms--didn't waste a ton of money but was pissed when I got home).

In high school I religiously wore American Eagle jeans but they have since change the manufacturing and I'm not a fan.

I'm tempted to buy from this site: http://www.liketwice.com but not being able to try the jeans on is a no-no for me.

Last year I bought 3 pairs of Lucky Jeans and a year later I only have ONE pair left and those are getting donated. They warned me to buy down a size because they will stretch--they were not kidding. Every pair stretched UP a size after a few months of wear. Very comfortable but left me with baggy jeans--even the skinnies! And the fabric was thin to begin with so I ended up with tears! Got them patched but just don't like the way they fit anymore...at least I got them on sale!

I used to have upwards of 7-9 pairs of jeans. Now I stick with 2-3 that fit me well and enjoy wearing my cute dresses with tights and sweaters in the winter!

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Quote Originally Posted by Petstorejunkie View Post
    Seeing as how I to am Polish bread to pull a plow Or walk the runway And was in love with the exact same New York and Company Jean, Try cruel girl.
    I also have a pair of Levi's that I really love I'll get the model number for you
    I would looooooooove that model number if you get a chance. I'll have to check out Cruel Girl. THANK YOU!!!

I am also mourning the death of a pair of DKNY Jeans that lived for 10 years until they finally wore out on the inside of the leg. I wish I remember what they were.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

For the past 6 years I have bought nothing but Eddie Bauer curvy cuts, usually boot cut. I have 7 pairs. Last year I all but gave up trying to find a pair that would fit. Why must they change things so much year to year?

The two oldest pairs are on the borderline between "trendy worn out" and "about to disintegrate at the wrong moment worn out" I will miss them so.

Of the 5 remaining pairs, one is awesome . Whatever will I do when THAT pair wears out, or **gasp** gets outgrown