The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default BIG career changes? Tell me about yours and what you've had to do to get there

I would love to hear from those of you who were doing one thing and made a switch to something COMPLETELY different. What spurred your decision, and how did you make the switch?

I went from being a Production Sup for Xerox (I managed a customer care team for the Verizon Wireless Project) to being a Fiscal Sup at a local community college. I am halfway through my Accounting degree and I had the sup experience for the job I enjoy accounting (originally I thought Business Admin but nah!), will enjoy the salary when I get that degree (although I do have a good salary now so no complaints).

I remember when I was mulling over going back to school on OT day a while back and how I was encouraged here to just do it! I think you can JUST DO IT too, whatever you may want to do! I'm thankful everyday for the opportunities I have.
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

I'm a Vet tech who is submitting a package to the officer selection board for the Air Force. Flying job... not even remotely close to anything I've ever done. I'm excited about it though and hope I get selected. Husband is AF and is also excited. Family and most of my friends have been very supportive. Honestly I feel like I'll just get MORE from the AF then I ever will be being a tech (money, life experience, benefits, etc).

i was a kept wife until dh became ill and was forced to retire early.
    now i care for mildy intellectually people in our home and LOVE it.

of course i'm used to sharing my space, as i've had plenty of housemates and tenants over the years. the pay is three times what i get from a tenant for the same space, however.

i'm working on a website and intend to grow my business using horses as my specialty niche.

I owned a truck lettering company for 7 years. Did well, loved it. About 2006 when the economy was tanking, I decided to get into fire alarms and security (family business). Mainly because I was getting bored with trucks, the technology was changing so fast (once one piece of equipment was paid off, something new came out, something industry changing).
    I had to go to school to become an electrician. Artists do not do well with electric theory (ac/dc etc).

I was a groom for y e a r s (horses not dogs). Then decided to 'grow up'. Started a path for college to get to where I thought I wanted to go in the museum industry (back of house stuff). Now, one semester away from graduating with a double major I am thinking of putting all my effort into my small business which is grain free dog treats. ARGH, I wish I would make up my mind.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

About 27 years ago I went from working on the track or managing a TB layup barn to doing product development in insurance. Oh, OK, there was a few years transition period that involved a legal clerk in a FSLIC contractor shutting sown S&Ls (it was the 80's after all), then working as a legal ass't at an insurer and sliding into several roles that all had development at the core.

That was a serious case of whiplash though. Just going from the hours/environment of the racing world to the legal world to the product world required a neck brace.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

I came out of college with a BS and MS in Education. I couldn't get a job because as a social studies teacher, I had to coach something. I am possibly the most uncoordinated person on the planet, except when I'm on a horse, so that was a no go. I had worked retail while in college and grad school, so I kept doing that, moving into management of the company I worked for. I woke up one morning and realized I couldn't keep doing retail because I really hated it. So, I went back to school, and got a degree in Construction Engineering. Started at a construction company as the assistant to the project manager, and moved up through the company to be a project manager. I left there to go to another construction company, and then after a year and a half, decided to have a mid-life crisis and work for my trainer as her barn manager/assistant. I did that for 4 years until I walked out, exactly 4 years ago this coming Friday. I went back to construction doing consulting on historic tax credits, and did that until February of 2011, when I got the job I have now. I work now for the City of St. Louis doing nothing that I was ever trained to do, and mostly learning as I go. I am ready to move on again, hoping to use my LEED acreditation in a new position.
    My new mantra - \"Life is too short not to eat ice cream.\"
    ReRiders Clique

I got a degree in English with a leaning towards authorship. Edited a magazine for two plus years, wrote articles, did some freelance horsey stuff, wrote some other stuff, blah blah blah....

Got fired and divorced within a short time period, pumped gas and worked a desk as a "water boy" at a real estate office to pay the bills.

Now I'm a cop. Pretty big change . I started running and doing push ups to prepare, otherwise what I needed to get there was desire.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

I went to university and got a biological science degree with the hopes of vet school. Didn't get into vet school and couldn't find a job with my science degree, so continued my career with McDonald's.
    Suddenly a light bulb went off after a few years of being store manager with McD's that I didn't want to be doing this the rest of my life.
    Decided to go back to school and get my chartered accountants designation (my second choice when I went to university the first time around).
    I went to a local accounting firm where I knew a few people to get a reference for my university application and they hired me to work for them if I did my schooling at the same time.
    It took me a bit longer to get my designation, but I was making decent money and gaining work experience. I am still with the same office, but we are now part of an international firm.
    Best decision I ever made.

It's very interested to read everyone's stories. My last few career changes went from being an accounting manager at a law firm to working as a tech support person at a legal accounting software firm (the software I used at the law firm). Then got tired of that and went to court reporting school. I have always been a very good student and school always came pretty easy for me. But I'll tell you what, court reporting school was HARD. The book work was easy, but the skills testing was HARD. But it was worth it. Took me quite a few years to get my "writing" speed up to 225 a minute, but I'm now my own boss and LOVE it. My job is very flexible and I take the jobs I want. Which comes in handy since I'm sitting at my computer right now with my leg propped up in a cast. I have to take a few weeks off. But I do love the job. It's different every day, and you actually learn a little about a lot just being a fly on the wall.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

I graduated from college in 1979 with a degree in Political Science. I learned pretty quickly that this degree gets you nowhere except into graduate school. Worked in retail management for a while, then bill collecting, employment agency, etc. I moved out to California in approx. 1982 and faked my way into a job as a legal secretary. I liked it. When I moved back here in the later 80s, I worked for a firm that was sending me to paralegal school on their dime. Very nice of them but after a sememster of that I decided I wanted to go to law school. Graduated in 1993. Really the best decision I ever made. Am now working in house for a wonderful company and I love my job.

It was a lot of hard work and I went pretty deeply in debt but that's all paid off now. And the funny thing is, I was interested in law school when I graduated college and my Mom offered to pay for it at the time. She couldn't afford to help by the time I decided it was time.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

I actually started out in investment banking and did very well, but absolutely hated it. Moved into merchant banking (better, but still not great) and from there ended up in a role that revolved around financing product development for the medical device industry. As it turns out, I found the devices more interesting than the financing, and became a product manager in that industry, eventually specializing in technology for imaging applications. It was fascinating (well, except for having to deal with FDA,) but I finally got to the point where I preferred not to be on the road 60-70% of the time, and I moved to the provider side of the market (essentially becoming a customer of the products I once developed.) I am now the CEO of a large radiology practice and absolutely love my job.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina