The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default DWTS a BAG JOB

OK, that's it for me, what a bag job this show is. Love to watch good dancing but c'mon, how can Sabrina get cut again like this?

Because unfortunately she does not have a big fan base and viewer votes are 50 percent.

1 members found this post helpful.

Yup, it's a popularity contest, pure and simple.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

I don't think it's a PURE popularity contest--the weakest dancers usually go first (or the ones least capable of putting on a good show; Cloris hung around mostly because people wanted to see what zany thing they did next, which is kind of pathetic considering Corky, who partnered her, is the single best dancer on the show by any real-world reckoning, with Louis and Karina distant seconds.) But especially this season it's got to where any elimination is going to be someone who's reasonably good (heck, the only one who really had no skill at all to speak of and was CLEARLY just a 'name' was Pam, and she was gone the first week) and Sabrina just didn't have the fan base, again.

I'm actually pulling for a dark-horse victory for Melissa and Tony--Tony's given his all to this show for years now and is long, long overdue. Derek's won too many times already (though I'd be less annoyed if he would do at least one pure routine-their Quickstep should have been dinged a lot harder for being entertaining, but an AWFUL example of the dance itself. It would be like giving someone a medal for GP Dressage when they came in and rode a trail pattern.)

Yes, I understand she doesn't have the fan base, but stone face Kelly probably should have gone home this week. I too love Melissa and Tony and hope they finally win. Also, they should have not cut "this" week due to Sandy, not next week when most will have power back on (hopefully)!
    Last edited by Elkie; Oct. 31, 2012 at 09:35 AM. Reason: spelling

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm a Kristy and Maks fan all the way!

To be honest, I never even heard of the Cheetah Girls and had no idea who Sabrina was the first time she was on DWTS and still have yet to hear anything about the Cheetah Girls. She lacks the fan base - pure and simple.

Cheetah Girls were Disney, and I think they've been 'retired'. Not sure what Sabrina's doing now.

Personally, yeah, I'd dump Kelly, and would have weeks and weeks ago, actually, but apparently there are soap fans who don't even watch DWTS auto-dialing for her. And God love him, but Emmitt, and Kirstie next, because I think we've hit the limits of her abilities. Though I do love that with Kirstie, Maks is a lot more laid-back and mature.

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    I don't think it's a PURE popularity contest--the weakest dancers usually go first (or the ones least capable of putting on a good show; Cloris hung around mostly because people wanted to see what zany thing they did next, which is kind of pathetic considering Corky, who partnered her, is the single best dancer on the show by any real-world reckoning, with Louis and Karina distant seconds.) But especially this season it's got to where any elimination is going to be someone who's reasonably good (heck, the only one who really had no skill at all to speak of and was CLEARLY just a 'name' was Pam, and she was gone the first week) and Sabrina just didn't have the fan base, again.

I'm actually pulling for a dark-horse victory for Melissa and Tony--Tony's given his all to this show for years now and is long, long overdue. Derek's won too many times already (though I'd be less annoyed if he would do at least one pure routine-their Quickstep should have been dinged a lot harder for being entertaining, but an AWFUL example of the dance itself. It would be like giving someone a medal for GP Dressage when they came in and rode a trail pattern.)
    I only watch DWTS here and there but I was curious about your name. I had the impression you ice danced, but your profile pic shows you with shoes. Do you do both? I ice danced for years as well as free styled, thus my curiosity.

I have suspected for years that those pro dancers on the show are actually given the go ahead for being entertaining first and technical second, regardless of judging criteria. That's what this show is all about - pure entertainment.
    Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

It's a shame that the best dancers don't always win. Sabrina knocked off, while Kirsty is still on??? And Bristol, who shouldn't have been on a second time, was voted off after she did a really good dance (Kirsty definitely should have been gone that time).

I hope Derek stays on a while longer. His choreography is always great and I look forward to seeing what he'll come up with week after week. Mark better do a good job with Shawn til Derek's neck gets better.

I'm sure Mark is THRILLED to be dancing with Shawn again. I suspect Bristol was spot-on when she basically said he was pissed he didn't get Shawn or Sabrina.

Bluedejavu--I started out ice dancing (I picked it up as an adult, though I was using the real USFS test stream and went through two MITF and six dances in the first two years I was skating) but when I took up ballroom as a cross-training thing, I discovered pro-am, and that I could go right to competing without the hassle of finding a partner (or obeying USA Dance, the amateur fed's, draconian costume rules for syllabus dancers.) It also is a lot easier to fit a lesson time in than it is to find a rink that has freestyle or dance ice at a time that works for me! (I am NOT tearing up my good blades on a public session. *drama queen swanning*)

And it's funny, because doing ballroom, it's...well, you know Six Degrees of Separation? It's like two degrees max between ballroom people. I'm like one or two at most to all the pros on the show (my current teacher was coached by Corky and Shirley Ballas, my old teacher in Boston has judged pretty much all of them and competed against Louis, I've been judged twice by Maks now, and that teacher in Boston? I worked as the studio receptionist, so Tristan and I had the same employer. And I've danced with him several times, and yes, I guess he's cute, but he's never been my cup of tea. OTOH, said Boston teacher kept threatening to introduce me to Tony so he could watch me turn red....)