The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Sigh...why can't you count on anyone?

This is why I always prefer to work alone. Not that I'm a control freak, but it seems that more and more you can't trust people to do what they say they are going to do.

I recently applied to a program that I'm really interested in. I'm already a bit behind the other candidates because the program works on a point system for admissions and I have a few things going against me. I was really counting on my interview as well as my references to pull my points up to be a competitive candidate.

Well, I nailed the interview, but I just found out that they only received one reference out of a required two... and the deadline is tomorrow. One of my former professors just totally dropped the ball. I did contact him to remind him a few times but I wasn't too worried...I felt that I could trust him as my former professor to get it done on time. My fault for not making sure it was done, or having a back-up plan, but I'm just super disappointed in him. Ugh.

I just don't get it...why say you'll do something if you aren't? Or, if something comes up, at least have the courtesy to give a heads-up. I always do the things I promise to do and if I can't, I say so. Why is this so hard?
    My CANTER cutie Chip and IHSA shows!
    http://www.youtube.com/kheit86

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

I hear you. The two biggest things for me are people who don't do things right the first time and people who don't do what they say they're going to do. Either one pisses me right off.

You shouldn't have had to remind someone multiple times to do something he said he was going to do. I know people get busy, but there are tons of ways to make sure you don't forget things like that.

I wish I knew what to tell you, but I've run into this so often, especially with regard to work. I can't tell you how many times I've sent people stuff and they completely miss it, or they tell me they'll have it done by a certain date and ... yeah, not so much. I rarely get an "Ooops, sorry about that" email. It makes me crazy.

Fingers crossed for you anyway.
    Full-time bargain hunter.

I totally understand, and it's why I despise group projects. Don't get me wrong, I'll be a team player, but it really sucks when the other members of the team don't care enough to do their jobs

Sorry about your professor- hopefully he'll come through