The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Farm for sale rumoured to be a grow op

I found a nice 170 acre farm listed online and called to realtor for more details (better pics of the house, general info).

She was more than happy to give me all the details, house needs work, etc. She also was very up front and said that there is a rumour she heard from a few neighbours that someone used to grow marijuana on this property. She had thoroughly checked out the house, outbuildings, cellars, etc., and had seen no evidence of an internal grow operation, but wanted to be crystal clear that this was the word on the street. She said she had spoken to the owners, who live 2 hours away in the city and use this place recreationally, and that they had no knowledge of this. She also said she had contacted the police department to try and get more information, but of course they couldn't disclose anything.

This is a lovely farm, small lake, super private, etc. Likely a perfect place to grow pot too I'm pretty sure if the owners knew about this, they wouldn't disclose it to their realtor, but who knows, they could be telling the truth. Kind of wondering how a realtor broaches the subject of a grow op to neighbours LOL

Is there any way one could find out if this information were true or not? When we do purchase a farm, I don't want to deal with trespassers growing pot on my land... I don't even know who goes to jail for that (in Canada), and I certainly don't want it to be me Of course this could happen to anyone anywhere, but I think it's better to know up front if it has happened, bitter growers don't sound friendly.

Avoidance is my first thought, but so much is blown out of proportion or completely bullsh*t!

Default finally a way to pay for the horses and the farm!!!

key words: used to be. If you are going to be living there, then likely the growers won't be planting any longer inside or out. They tend to stay away from activity. Empty places always have some rumor going around.

Personally, it wouldn't concern me if the price was right.

Default Go for it!

Tartan,

Everyone who lives on a farm has to deal with trespassers. It's a fact of life out here. The guy who raises bison around the corner from me has a multimillion dollar insurance policy to protect him from losing his farm when the idiot sightseers climb his fence to have their photo taken with the bison. Can you believe that! I have people stop and climb into my hay pasture to pet my horses. I'm lucky my farm dogs haven't eaten one yet.

I have a couple horses boarding at a small farm that was used for a grow op. When the new renters moved in, the tack room was laced overhead with drying racks.

If the farm is a good deal then I'd snatch it up. Talk to your local police and tell them that you suspect someone might have been using your farm for grow op and ask them to check it out. They have to record every single incident so you'll have a paper trail to back you up.

don't worry so much, if you live in the country, you are going to have trespassers of all sorts and sizes. Did I tell you the story of the tack room trespassers? Black and white and smelly all over?

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by tartan View Post
    She also was very up front and said that there is a rumour she heard from a few neighbours that someone used to grow marijuana on this property.
    Strange to pass on a rumor that she couldnt confirm. Like saying its haunted or something.

FIL was a realtor and Im sure he wouldnt say something like this.
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

I agree with JD, almost as if the realtor is deliberately either trying to not sell the place or maybe he she wants to get it for their own "grow op".

I understand your concern though, I would certainly not want to have any possibility of someone sneaking onto my land who had before, certainly not someone with narcotics connections. Check it out with the local police, hopefully your will be able to confirm or deny the "rumor".
    Last edited by Calamber; Oct. 31, 2012 at 01:24 AM.
    "When written in Chinese, the word "crisis" is composed of two characters, one represents danger, the other represents opportunity."

John F Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by EquineDesign View Post
    If the farm is a good deal then I'd snatch it up. Talk to your local police and tell them that you suspect someone might have been using your farm for grow op and ask them to check it out. They have to record every single incident so you'll have a paper trail to back you up.
    On paper it looks like something to definitely consider

Not a bad idea getting the cops out to do a sort of baseline inspection, just in case there is truth to the rumour mill!

I really think the realtor was just trying to give full disclosure, maybe she has run into this before. She said the rumour was it was grown in the forest, not inside, so at least the buildings shouldn't be damaged. Or, maybe Calamber is right

It's a non-issues, really, esp if there were no red flags with local LE. They actually CAN disclose.

DH's place he was renting when we met was definitely a grow prior to him moving in. Indoor raised beds, lighting, etc. I got a giggle out of it.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Hmmmm...from what you've posted, it sounds like (the rumors say) they may have been growing pot outside? Not in the house?

SCORE. Plant your tomatoes there. You'll have one hell of a harvest.

I agree with the others--make your presence known, and you won't have a problem.

I would take it seriously, because if the realtor says possible marijuana grow, then it could also have possibly been a meth lab, which then has serious health and welfare implications. If you make an offer, I would have a clause that your offer is contingent on negative tests for the presence of chemicals used in production of meth.

2 members found this post helpful.

Sounds like a good find!
    Realtor is required to disclose any hint of grow-op - a CYA legality which also becomes your out if a plant or two pop up next year ;-).
    Confirm no hydro damage inside & if clean I'd grab it.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteyPie View Post
    I would take it seriously, because if the realtor says possible marijuana grow, then it could also have possibly been a meth lab, which then has serious health and welfare implications. If you make an offer, I would have a clause that your offer is contingent on negative tests for the presence of chemicals used in production of meth.
    Yup. Meth is way more problematic than pot plants; you can't clean it up simply by composting the remnants.

The other thing which would concern me is whether the property title is clear. If there is the possibility that the property was bought with ill gotten funds, then the title situation could get messy. Indeed, stuff like this is why you pay a good real estate lawyer to go over all your paperwork thoroughly.

Of course, the neighborhood rumor mill may mean nothing at all.