The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default favorite place to shop for inexpensive projects?

Anyone have any additonal sites you like for inexpensive pony projects? I've been checking craigslist, equine.com, dreamhorse, horseclicks, and horseclassifieds. Looking for something to play with over the winter, and now I'm just seeing the same ads all the time. Any sites I missed??
    Cornerstone Equestrian
    Home of Amazing (Balou du Rouet/Voltaire)
    KWPN, ISR/Old NA, RPSI, and IHF stallion
    www.cornerstonefarmpa.com

Can you define inexpensive and are you looking specifically for a pony? I may have something interesting if a horse is ok, green but going to be nice and will be standing around all winter if he stays with me. Feel free to PM, I don't want to be accused of advertising.

CANTER?
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

I know of a few that are under $10,000

I'd try contacting local breeders directly. It seems to me like some people are backing away from advertising on the big websites because there are so many tire-kickers out there. I recently picked up a prospect and had no luck at all with the websites, I ended up having better luck finding a few to choose from via word of mouth.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ako View Post
    CANTER?
    I second this! Also lots of TB placement groups out there. www.goodhorse.org to name one among many.

Quote Originally Posted by BeeHoney View Post
    I'd try contacting local breeders directly. It seems to me like some people are backing away from advertising on the big websites because there are so many tire-kickers out there. I recently picked up a prospect and had no luck at all with the websites, I ended up having better luck finding a few to choose from via word of mouth.
    Any breeders to recommend? I love CANTER, but really want a pony that eventually I'll be able to transition into my lesson program so I don't think CANTER will have what I need. That is the right price range though, so....
    Cornerstone Equestrian

For cheap but with lots to view at one time, you can always try the auctions. You have to be a bit brave, and very knowledgeable, but quite a few of my resale projects have come from the New Holland auction in SE PA. A few years ago, I got a BEAUTIFUL, but green, 5 year old Connemara/TB with papers. She was 14.1 1/2, buttermilk buckskin that ended up being absolutely awesome over fences once she got confident--as in 4'+ and sold as a pony jumper since she was still kind of hot under saddle. A friend of mine got a really refined, but unregistered, 7 year old Halflinger mare that she schooled and sold as a children's hunter. The people she sold it to, schooled it even more, and she ended up showing in a bunch of rated shows. I paid $275 for my pony (3 or 4 years ago), and my friend had paid $125 for hers (2 years ago). Prices are probably still really cheap. It looks like you are in PA, but I don't know where. New Holland might be an option for you, or Thurmont in Maryland. Lots of horses and ponies every week of all different types.

Sheila
    Sheila Zeltt
    Chestnut Run Stable & Zeltt Racing Stable
    www.Zeltt.com
    Standing "Tiz Brian" at Stud, 16.1 h bay TB by Tiznow

Former Long Islander now in the middle of the Great Lakes

Lots of OTTB have been transitioned into wonderful lesson horses , it just takes educated trainers and instructors who understand OTTB's . We just picked up a wonderful unadvertised gelding off a bull ring of a track that just closed for the season. For the first time in my life ( over 45 years ) we were able to try him at the track. even had a couple poles in the back of my truck from earlier in the day and made a small X which he proceeded to go right over. We tried him on the grass in between barns . He came home and was un-phased by the ring, the barn the people, dogs, equipment or anything and immediately took the notion of when the rider stops riding, he stops working. I do however stress that it does take an educated rider / trainer to transition an OTTB or even to pick the right one. We would have taken a chance on this guy even with out trying him , he had a very kind eye and he proved the connection between kind eye kind horse the second she got a leg up on him in the shed row . The auctions are also a good place to pick up a bargain if your willing to take a chance . Sound horses are going for under a $100.00 in some areas ( one went for $7.00 in our area a coupel weeks ago)

Quite a few of our lesson horses are OTTBs, you just have to find the right ones!

Some of them really do come with kid-proof brains! I'm sure my mother will never forget the day I brought home my coming 4yo OTTB from New Holland. I pulled him off the trailer, hopped on bareback with a halter and lead rope, and galloped through the field jumping the x/c logs with my best friend and her pony! And I was only 11! I'm sure my mother almost died of a heart attack, but that horse was unflappable and because my 3' horse- he went all the way to Devon and HITS.

I have a pony I will sell you, but she is in CA! Haha! Anyhow, I bought her from a local Welsh breeder not too long ago. The breeder was pretty much a western person and knew Kirby was an english pony all the way (totally is, she jumps the moon! 12.1 and free jumped 3'2"!) I didn't pay a ton for her, though she is technically the most expensive thing I've bought, but she was VERY green! She will eventually be ready kid ready but at 5 and only consistently undersaddle for 5 mo we aren't quite there! For me, not having a lesson program or an immediate need for her to be kid ready it has worked out for me. So you are right, the breeders may be the way to go if you don't mind some time. If you get on the Welsh Pony website it should point you to a breeders list or something. And you never know what you might find on craigslist too!

Try virginiaequestrian.com! There are quite a few great project ponies for sale on there

ok, thanks I'll check both of those!
    Cornerstone Equestrian

Sent you a p.m. Too bad you aren't closer, I know of a couple good ones.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

trottrot your message box is full
    Cornerstone Equestrian

Check out FB - no, really. I found my new mare on FB on a state-specific sales group before she was even widely advertised.

how do you find those? just do a search?
    Cornerstone Equestrian

On FB I like Just Hunters, Jumpers, and Equitation Horses for Sale or Lease

You can probably post that you are looking for a sale horse there as well